Sony CDP-C265 5 disc CD changer- Should I get it? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sony CDP-C265 5 disc CD changer- Should I get it?

rakeford
07-10-2010, 10:26 AM
I'd like to get a CD changer for set-&-forget CD playing. But I don't want to spend alot of coin right now.

I saw a Sony CDP-C265 5 disc CD changer at the thrift store for about $20.

Should I get it?

Anybody got a manual for it?

poppachubby
07-10-2010, 11:35 AM
NO! I have yet to hear a Sony changer that isn't bright and awful sounding. I had a CDP-C315 and I gave it to the thrifts. I bought a Yamaha CDC-575 which sounds great and has optical output. I just output it into my dac and away I go. unless the Sony has digital output, you should pass.

rakeford
07-10-2010, 11:46 AM
NO! I have yet to hear a Sony changer that isn't bright and awful sounding. I had a CDP-C315 and I gave it to the thrifts. I bought a Yamaha CDC-575 which sounds great and has optical output. I just output it into my dac and away I go. unless the Sony has digital output, you should pass.
Thank for the feedback pappaC, I'll pass for now.

poppachubby
07-10-2010, 12:01 PM
No sweat. It's funny about Sony, bright CDP's are a trait I would say. I just bought a CDP-390, great machine but brighter than my Magnavox. They share the same converter, but the Philips unit is definitely rolled off.

rakeford
07-10-2010, 05:33 PM
No sweat. It's funny about Sony, bright CDP's are a trait I would say. I just bought a CDP-390, great machine but brighter than my Magnavox. They share the same converter, but the Philips unit is definitely rolled off.
Hey poppaC, since I'm cruisin' thrift stores, maybe you could give me a list of CD changers I should look for.

My main spec is ability to load at least 5 discs, play Redbook CDs, and cheap ($5 to $40).

I had a BSR MCD 8050 6 disc changer with a cassette player/ recorder, but it started skipping on the CDs. I really liked that unit.

poppachubby
07-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Some of the Technics MASH units don't sound too bad. As I mentioned Yamaha is a sure bet. I don't have alot of experience with changers. Try AK...

harley .guy07
07-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Yamaha, denon, onkyo, are all good and older units can come cheap used. I would stay away from kenwood or sony since they do not sound near as good and are reliability nightmares. Just be aware that a lot of these machines were abused and used for years and to make sure they work well before purchase and Poppa is right make sure that it has a digital output so you have the ability to upgrade dacs if you choose to. And by all means stay away from pioneers cartridge changers since they are slow as hell and only work when they want to.

rakeford
07-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Yamaha, denon, onkyo, are all good and older units can come cheap used. I would stay away from kenwood or sony since they do not sound near as good and are reliability nightmares. Just be aware that a lot of these machines were abused and used for years and to make sure they work well before purchase and Poppa is right make sure that it has a digital output so you have the ability to upgrade dacs if you choose to. And by all means stay away from pioneers cartridge changers since they are slow as hell and only work when they want to.
Thanks for the heads up. I saw a couple of pioneers cartridge changers on my local craigslist- I'll stay away from those.

My misbehaving BSR MCD 8050 is 6 disc cartridge changer. I like that feature. Since I have 3 cartridges, I can load 2 while one is playing and then party all day.

rakeford
08-20-2010, 02:25 PM
#######################
EDIT 2010 0821
This thread has past its usefulness to me.

Please respond to my new thread entitled "Help me pick an inexpensive CD changer " at

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=34991

#######################
I found these this week,

DV-C6760 5 disc changer, $50 at craigslist-DC
plays CD, SACD, I'm not sure if it plays DVD-Audio

DV-C6771 5 disc changer, $98 at 4electronicwarehouse
plays CD, SACD, and DVD-Audio.

Alas, I can't find any info on the DV-C6771 at the Yamaha site. I suspect that its similar to the DV-C6770 which is on the Yamaha archive page. I did find some review of the DV-C6771, see below.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/home-video/multiple-dvd-players/yamaha/dv-c6771/PRD_345617_2759crx.aspx

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/blu-ray-dvd-disc-media-players/26486-brand-new-yamaha-dvda-sacd-dvd-player-i-got-100-no-catches-just-good-deal.html#post284412

http://slickdeals.net/forums//showthread.php?sduid=0&p=30627230

I think I'll just get the DV-C6771 for $99 + free shipping. I'm not looking for audiophile sound quality. I just want something for rack-n-stack playing while I work. But, I'm willing to pay extra for CD, SACD, and DVD-Audio since I have some and plan to get more,

The other unit on my radar is the DVD-C961, but that's going for $325 to $375.

What do you think?