Art Blakey. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Art Blakey.

frenchmon
07-07-2010, 02:46 PM
Hey Pops or any body who is a jazz lover. If you have not seen it as of yet, go out and rent a DVD called "Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers Live in 58". This is a great concert over in Belgium. Benny Golson on sax, Lee Morgan on Trumpet, Bobby Timmons on piano, Jymie Merritt on bass and of course BLakey on drums...and its really up close and personal. Lee Morgan looks every bit of 20 years old. He died young at 34...his girl friend or wife shot him at the jazz club where he was performing. So if you want a nice jazz concert in your home from the 50's from some of the greats, see if you can rent it. I rented from Netflix.

kexodusc
07-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Thanks frenchmon, I will. Lots of heavyweights in that one.

poppachubby
07-07-2010, 03:27 PM
Yep, I've seen that one frenchie. The library here has it. I burned myself a copy...

frenchmon
07-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Yeah. I need to burn my self a copy. I've Got Diana Krall and a few other Jazz artist on DVD, but this one is by far the best and its black and white. I believe because these guys are of that generation where the music was still fresh. Good stuff.

poppachubby
07-13-2010, 04:19 AM
Excellent footage here, and pretty good audio considering the source material. There are also seperate performances by each artist.

What impressed me most was the performance of "The Bridge". Of course everyone is in the pocket, but most enjoyable has to be Bob Cranshaw on bass. He is a joy to watch, intense and fun.

He plucks with his whole hand, like James Jamerson on his electric with his single finger. The Bridge's high tempo and advanced melody has Cranshaw working overtime. His hand moves at a break neck speed, it's barely visible. You can see he's putting everything he has into the performance.

Quite refreshing as alot of those jazz dudes were like pylons during their performances. Rightfully so, they had alot of work to do on their instruments.

Anyhow frenchie and anyone else interested, this is a worthy video.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51NREuKGFHL._SL160_.jpg

poppachubby
07-13-2010, 04:24 AM
While on the topic frenchie, my favorite all time video is Chet Baker live in 64 and 79. Excellent audio AND video for that matter. You also get a nice taste of Baker in two very different portions of his career. He sings quite a bit on it, which I love.

noob can chime in here, I think he digs it to. The audio is good to the point where it's worth a listen without any video. I think noob runs it through his Digilink with no video. If you like frenchie, PM me your addy again and I can send you a copy.

http://g.sheetmusicplus.com/Look-Inside/covers/8169930.jpg

frenchmon
07-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Thaks Pops...I will look for both of them.

02audionoob
07-25-2010, 03:57 PM
That Chet Baker DVD is indeed good stuff. It's nice having the audio running through the DAC and the tube amp.