Heat related problems... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Heat related problems...

Worf101
07-07-2010, 06:48 AM
As most of you know, I live on the east coast. I'm currently experiencing extremely hot temperatures both inside (no central air) and outside the house. Most of the time I just grin and bear it but lately I've had some problems with my A.V. and internet that might be heat related so I've come here to ask the experts.

My Main HT rig downstairs consists of an Oppo BDP connected to an Onkyo 905 receiver. Never had a problem until the heatwave started. The Onkyo which runs hot on it's own is in an enclosed AV cabinet, see pic below. Now during Blu-Ray play-back the temp of the room combined with the receiver itself must've been well over 120f. Thing is the screen would freeze in a pixelated way. I know it wasn't the Bluray player because the disk would continue to play and produce sound but the video portion would freeze. The only way to get it "unstuck" would be to turn off the receiver for a about a minute and restart it and the set up would be fine for bit, then it would repeat. Anyone ever heard of this? I'm going to get a small fan for the back of the dealio and hope that solves it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Worf101/My%20Pics/HD-3.jpg

Second problem.
Son complaining that my wireless network is down. I check all the settings, connections network settings etc... the things broadcasting but her laptops not picking it up. Soooo I take the laptop upstairs to the wireless hub, bingo, it picks up the wireless signal. Take it downstairs and poof, it can't see it anymore. I can only assume that the heat and humiidity is such that the wireless signal is having trouble going through it AND the intevening walls and floors. Whatcha think?

Worf

GMichael
07-07-2010, 06:57 AM
I think it's too hot to be working without A/C. I don't blame your system for going on strike.

kevlarus
07-07-2010, 07:10 AM
As most of you know, I live on the east coast. I'm currently experiencing extremely hot temperatures both inside (no central air) and outside the house. Most of the time I just grin and bear it but lately I've had some problems with my A.V. and internet that might be heat related so I've come here to ask the experts.

My Main HT rig downstairs consists of an Oppo BDP connected to an Onkyo 905 receiver. Never had a problem until the heatwave started. The Onkyo which runs hot on it's own is in an enclosed AV cabinet, see pic below. Now during Blu-Ray play-back the temp of the room combined with the receiver itself must've been well over 120f. Thing is the screen would freeze in a pixelated way. I know it wasn't the Bluray player because the disk would continue to play and produce sound but the video portion would freeze. The only way to get it "unstuck" would be to turn off the receiver for a about a minute and restart it and the set up would be fine for bit, then it would repeat. Anyone ever heard of this? I'm going to get a small fan for the back of the dealio and hope that solves it.
Worf

Definitely heat problem, especially since all the equipment is in a cabinet without a fan and almost all equipment does not include any type of fan to produce air flow. I've seen it happen with the older cable modems. Get too hot and then they basically die; this was back in 2000-2002 or so, when they were large beasts and generated lots of heat. A fan in front of your equipment should help tremendously.

There's an inverse relationship between heat and conductivity. The hotter it gets, the worse conductivity is (electronic components anyway).

Second problem.
Son complaining that my wireless network is down. I check all the settings, connections network settings etc... the things broadcasting but her laptops not picking it up. Soooo I take the laptop upstairs to the wireless hub, bingo, it picks up the wireless signal. Take it downstairs and poof, it can't see it anymore. I can only assume that the heat and humiidity is such that the wireless signal is having trouble going through it AND the intevening walls and floors. Whatcha think?

Worf

I would suspect it's affecting the base station itself as apposed to the signal. Of course, with such high heat, it may not be able to put out such a good strong signal as the electrical components inside get too hot. This is why computer systems, even laptops, have fans in them to at least move the hot air out if nothing else.

GMichael
07-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Definitely heat problem, especially since all the equipment is in a cabinet without a fan and almost all equipment does not include any type of fan to produce air flow. I've seen it happen with the older cable modems. Get too hot and then they basically die; this was back in 2000-2002 or so, when they were large beasts and generated lots of heat. A fan in front of your equipment should help tremendously.

There's an inverse relationship between heat and conductivity. The hotter it gets, the worse conductivity is (electronic components anyway).

I would suspect it's affecting the base station itself as apposed to the signal. Of course, with such high heat, it may not be able to put out such a good strong signal as the electrical components inside get too hot. This is why computer systems, even laptops, have fans in them to at least move the hot air out if nothing else.

It's also why most IT rooms have extra cooling systems. If the central air for our company goes out, the IT room still stays cool.

winston
07-15-2010, 12:03 PM
(worf101@quote)
Anyone ever heard of this? I'm going to get a small fan for the back of the dealio and hope that solves it.......

"worf101 in addition to that (and other good suggestions given) you could remove the back board from the the (cabinet) temporary "if it doesn't support the shelves? most of the times it doesn't!! then you put the fan in front- to work in a sweeping motion. good luck man

Mr Peabody
07-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Why no AC? Act quickly get your Residential Energy Credit on your next tax return.

frenchmon
07-15-2010, 05:24 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Worf101/My%20Pics/HD-3.jpg

Second problem.

Worf

Yeah...you've got what we call compound heat. Mother natures heat and each component making their own heat. The AP making its own energy therefore its own heat and mother natures heat makes the AP week and unable to work at 100% thus a very poor signal. Kinda surprise you got a valid IP address.

You gotta keep that stuff cool or you can burn it up. At work we gotta put on sweaters because of all the machines we got. Its cold in a server room.

Mr Peabody
07-15-2010, 07:02 PM
I should have been an IT man, I'd love to work in the cool. I can't take the heat like those Klingons

BadAssJazz
07-16-2010, 10:36 AM
You're giving me flashbacks of my old studio apartment -- which didn't have A/C -- and the Onkyo 805 that I owned at the time. Hot? Leave a loaf of bread out during the summer and you'll have burnt toast 5 minutes later. I was deathly afraid that my entire studio would spontaneously combust if I left the 805 on for too long at midday.

Solutions? I first ditched my enclosed TV cabinet and bought an open, well-ventilated TV stand. I also got rid of any nonessential equipment so that the 805 could "breathe." I tried adding fans, but the sound of the fans going bothered me more than the worry of melting my gear. I eventually decided to watch movies only in the evening. I was only home during the day on weekends (Sunday), so it wasn't that big of a sacrifice.

Ultimately, the real solution for me was to move into a place with full environmental controls (Bless you inventors of A/C!). I also upgraded to the SC07, which runs much, much cooler than the 805. As cool as the other side of the pillow.

pixelthis
07-16-2010, 01:15 PM
Just get a whisperquiet type computer fan, plug it into the switched AC on your receiver,
mount on the back...
PROBLEM SOLVED:1:

frenchmon
07-16-2010, 02:05 PM
Just get a whisperquiet type computer fan, plug it into the switched AC on your receiver,
mount on the back...
PROBLEM SOLVED:1:

Not if he has no cool air in his place...IF its 95 out side, it can be even hotter inside with the gear runnning.

Dual-500
07-31-2010, 02:11 PM
Pick out a room floor fan that's quiet on low setting and place behind cabinet.

JohnMichael
07-31-2010, 05:29 PM
One of these may help but your heat wave may be over.

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?searchFilter=fans cool components

PeruvianSkies
07-31-2010, 08:48 PM
You could replace the cabinet and get something that is actually suitable for your gear instead of suffocating it with all that heat in one area. Most receivers require at least 6 inches of space above it for proper ventilation as you will find in the manual.

pixelthis
08-01-2010, 03:54 AM
Not if he has no cool air in his place...IF its 95 out side, it can be even hotter inside with the gear runnning.

FALSE logic.
The cooling fan in my car works great in 96 degree weather with a relative temp of 120
or so, with the pavement.
If the fan lowers ambient temp back down to background, thats enough.
And any modern air conditioner should be able to get a room a loot cooler that 95.
I USED a computer fan from the shack, (120v) and it kept my rather warm running Integra
cool as a cucumber for quite awhile, just blowing cool air across it, in less than an inch clearance.
Like in JAZZ, cool is relative.:1:

pixelthis
08-01-2010, 03:59 AM
Also, WORF might want to check out a bigger cabinet, his is pretty nice, but stands
are like women, the bigger ones are more utilitarian.
Just saying.:1: