Daryl Hall & John Oates [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Daryl Hall & John Oates

Smokey
07-04-2010, 12:19 AM
I think I know. Nobody here likes Hall and Oates :D

H&O might fall under that category where they are either dismissed altogether, or kind of like few of their songs and that is far as loyalty will go for them.

But from either camp, I think most agree that songs like Private Eyes, Wait For Me, Kiss On My List, One On One and Family Man are pretty darn catchy songs. And even after 25 years, I do turn it up when hearing these songs from speakers.

http://www.amoeba.com/dynamic-images/blog/Job/hall-and-oates.jpg

tentoze
07-04-2010, 04:49 AM
Coincidentally enough, my kids are visiting this wk-end, and night before last when we got home from dinner and numerous fine beers, I pulled out my vinyl copy of Rock N Soul Part 1, and blasted Maneater. A monster of a song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ox9qtMva7A&feature=related

G. E. Smith slays the guitar solo...

luvtolisten
07-04-2010, 06:08 AM
Not a big H&O fan, but I did buy and still like "Out of Touch".

Swish
07-04-2010, 06:19 AM
...they got into the disposable pop garbage business and that was the beginning of their 'success' and the end of my support. I know you like those songs, but I, for one, did not.

I recall a number of years ago when Hall basically apologized for recording all that drivel (my words) and that he was going to get back to making quality music, or something to that end.

Check out 'Live and Daryl's House' on the net, where he brings in famous or semi-famous musical guests to his houses in Canada or England and they play their songs with him. One of my favorites, and I know I posted about this a long time ago, was when Nick Lowe appeared and they did an acoustic 'Cruel to Be Kind' with Daryl and his long-time bassist, T-Bone Wolk, who recently passed away. I think it's fabulous and you can tell Daryl was having a blast with it.

recoveryone
07-04-2010, 08:27 AM
I must be in the minority, I have been a fan since they where mainly song writers for other artist. And their first big hit is a classic from every sense of the word "Sarah Smile" it has been re-recorded by various artist over the years in all forms of genre. Their main stream success in the 80's was just like most artist during that time, shallow and limited, but still catchy. Their style has always been light R&B mix with top 40 beats and it made them a ton of cash. and several of the band members went on to make their own marks in the industry:

Lead Guitar player: leader of the SNL house band during the 90's-2k

Most of us can probably count on one hand the number of artist that were hot in the 80's and lasted past the 90's if that long. Right now I can only think of one that still draws major interest when he performs "Prince"

Breezer88888
07-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Big Hall and Oates fan from the days of my youth. They did have a number of hits that still get you that "feel good" feeling whenever you hear them today. Admit it - they served a purpose in the pop culture of the 80's.

And as for other 80's artists that have lasted, but mainly due to the internet junkies (like ourselves). Has anyone been "Rick-rolled" lately. You know, pulling up a link only to be directed to a Rick Astley video of Never Gonna Give You Up?

3LB
07-04-2010, 09:40 AM
I like H&O and owned a couple of their albums. Kinda grew out of them but don't dislike them. Hall coulda been on his own, given the success of his Three Hearts & The Happy Ending Machine. John Oates may have been a writing partner of sorts, but for the most part was just really fortunate IMO.

Daryl Hall some good stuff with Robert Fripp and he even had Fripp play guitar on his solo album, Sacred Songs.

Rae
07-04-2010, 10:30 AM
"Why did the farmer start a punk rock band?" -Neil Hamburger

Stone
07-04-2010, 12:15 PM
I think my enjoyment of them starts and ends with "Sara Smile."

Auricauricle
07-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Any band that takes on a Mike Oldfield (Tubular Bells) song (Family Man) is all right in my book....

Just wish they developed their songwriting into a little more than aural popcorn and Milk Duds.

Jack in Wilmington
07-04-2010, 02:16 PM
For me they lost what little credibility they had left when they appeared on American Idull last season. The poor souls at work that watch that drivel are telling me about all the "Stars" that showed up for the season finale. The people who showed up who are legitimate stars are there for one reason, to sing a song from their latest CD, to promote sales. The rest are trying to get one last shot at the limelight.

JohnMichael
07-04-2010, 02:49 PM
I am a big fan from back in the days of "She's Gone" from The Abandoned Luncheonette album. Some of you might like "War Babies" produced by Todd Rundgren.

Troy
07-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Abandoned Luncheonette is a classic.

Smokey
07-04-2010, 10:21 PM
I recall a number of years ago when Hall basically apologized for recording all that drivel (my words) and that he was going to get back to making quality music, or something to that end.

I bet if H&O gave a concert, most of their material will come from period he call drivel :D

But really I don't see why any artists would critisize their own earlier work, especially the works that made them famous. He might have just been going thru the growing pains.

Lead Guitar player: leader of the SNL house band during the 90's-2k

Excellent guitar player. A little cocky, but his signature guitar hooks was the fuel that perpetuate H&O to stardom.

Swish
07-05-2010, 06:15 AM
I am a big fan from back in the days of "She's Gone" from The Abandoned Luncheonette album. Some of you might like "War Babies" produced by Todd Rundgren.

Yeah, what he said. Pretty decent stuff in the early going, but when they started doing crap like 'I Can't Go for That', 'Maneater' and 'Out of Touch', among others, well...they were on par with Phil Collins and Paul McCartney as the leading producers of pop crap.

recoveryone
07-05-2010, 06:55 AM
I guess the main thing we are missing is the change in music itself from the 70's to the 80's. H&O first album was in the mid to late 70's where their sound was more soulful/R&B. For me I thought they were black until around 79 when I saw then on some show. Sarah Smile and She's gone had that Motown/Gamble and Huff (song writers) smell all over them. With Disco taking center stage in the late 70's and punk rock bringing on the 80's. I'm sure studio exec's where pushing them to cross fully over to pop. Just look back at the videos and see how they were transformed from average looking to all glamed up in the "I can't go for that" video (I feel was their transition song from soul to full pop).

JohnMichael
07-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Yeah, what he said. Pretty decent stuff in the early going, but when they started doing crap like 'I Can't Go for That', 'Maneater' and 'Out of Touch', among others, well...they were on par with Phil Collins and Paul McCartney as the leading producers of pop crap.

Let us also add Rod Stewart who went from singing "Maggie May" to If you want my body.

02audionoob
07-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Now there's a good topic...Which artists went south the worst? Rod Stewart was pretty darn good in his early days. I kinda liked the early Bee Gees stuff.

3LB
07-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Now there's a good topic...Which artists went south the worst? Rod Stewart was pretty darn good in his early days. I kinda liked the early Bee Gees stuff.

Maybe if you search under "jumping the shark"

Rod Stewart has to lead the pack, but then again, he's been a lounge act three times as long as he was ever a good one.

02audionoob
07-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Maybe if you search under "jumping the shark"

Rod Stewart has to lead the pack, but then again, he's been a lounge act three times as long as he was ever a good one.

I suppose Rod's supreme example might make the subject seem more fruitful to me than it really is.

poppachubby
07-05-2010, 05:27 PM

Tsk, tsk...I can't go for that is a GREAT song. Did you know it's the most sampled groove in hip hop history? Perhaps not a big factor for you Swishdoggy.

I love the older and some of the "newer" H/O. For two white dudes they exemplified alot of soul. As a fan of soul, RandB and funk I can appreciate what they did.

Love them or hate them they were great at writing songs and are still the most successful duo ever. This is debatable though as Lennon/McCartney were technically part of the Beatles and never got duo credits.

bfalls
07-06-2010, 06:31 AM
An ex-boss used to call them "Hauling Oats", for some reason. His attempt at humor I guess. I've always been a fan. Always got a chuckle out of their Christmas video of "Jingle-Bell Rock". Very "tongue-in-cheek", but they appeared to have a good time.

MasterCylinder
07-06-2010, 06:37 AM
Let us also add Rod Stewart who went from singing "Maggie May" to If you want my body.

Even before that he was best with early Jeff Beck, a.k.a., "TRUTH".
It all seemed to slide downhill from that point.

luvtolisten
07-06-2010, 10:21 AM
An ex-boss used to call them "Hauling Oats", for some reason. His attempt at humor I guess. I've always been a fan. Always got a chuckle out of their Christmas video of "Jingle-Bell Rock". Very "tongue-in-cheek", but they appeared to have a good time.

I enjoyed that video as well. I used to think Christmas was the one time you could be corny and cool at the same time. But Bob Dylan changed all that for me at his attempt at singing Christmas songs. When I heard that I had this picture in my mind of him lying on the ground, drooling and singing, with about 6 or 7 empty bottles of Thunderbird scattered about. Not cool, not cool at all.:wink5: