Bang for Buck Speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bang for Buck Speakers?

cackalacky
07-03-2010, 05:45 PM
There seems to be widespread consensus that Outlaw, Rotel, Parasound, Emotiva, Adcom, etc. provide good value amps at very good prices. Some of these do so by direct sales. How about the speaker part of the equation? What brands are known for delivering maximum value for the dollar?

Poultrygeist
07-04-2010, 02:48 AM
Tekton
Horn Shoppe Horns
Parker Audio
Axiom
Cambridge Sound

luvtolisten
07-04-2010, 04:24 AM
Buying speakers is a personal choice. You have to live with them, so it's what you like that matters. Each speaker has it's own personality. I would go to a stereo boutique store and listen. Usually they have other choices in the same price range to compare, you can find the right combination of speakers and amp that suits you, and, if you're not happy within 30 days, most reputable stores have a good return policy. Or if that's impossible, find a dealer online with a good return policy. The room you place them in can in some cases, make a huge difference in the sound.
The speakers you listed in your amp thread (Paradigm, B&W, and Monitor Audio) are all good quality speakers. Whether they are suited to you or not, you won't be able to tell until you actually hear them.

LeRoy
07-04-2010, 06:30 AM
There seems to be widespread consensus that Outlaw, Rotel, Parasound, Emotiva, Adcom, etc. provide good value amps at very good prices. Some of these do so by direct sales. How about the speaker part of the equation? What brands are known for delivering maximum value for the dollar?

While I'd like to provide you with a concise list I'm afraid there are just too many variables to address in your question. There are many value oriented manufacturers whose brands fit you needs and then there are some higher end manufacturer's whose one or two models within a line can be considered to deliver great value for the dollar. Is there a range or maximum price point you are looking to stay within?

Here a couple of websites that you might find useful in finding a line or model that you may want to consider.

http://www.whathifi.com/Reviews/Hi-Fi-Reviews/Hi-fi-speakers-Reviews/

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio

Good luck with your research.

LeRoy

cackalacky
07-04-2010, 07:32 AM
[QUOTE=LeRoy]While I'd like to provide you with a concise list I'm afraid there are just too many variables to address in your question. There are many value oriented manufacturers whose brands fit you needs and then there are some higher end manufacturer's whose one or two models within a line can be considered to deliver great value for the dollar. Is there a range or maximum price point you are looking to stay within?

$2,000 would be the max retail price I'd consider, but I'm more than willing to spend the same amount on used speakers to step up in quality.

My listening room size is 14 x 22 with an 8' ceiling height.

LeRoy
07-04-2010, 08:24 AM
Paradigm, PSB, Energy, KEF, Monitor Audio, Axiom, Aperion Audio, Mordaunt-Short, Klipsch, Mirage, and Vienna Acoustics are brands that come to mind with regard to generally having products that offer pretty good musical reproduction for the dollar.

Other brands that offer a line or product that fits into your price point: Dynaudio, Spendor, Dali, Magneplanar, Canton, and Rega.

I'm sure others on this forum will contribute to the list but that's all I can think of at this time. Are you looking to add a sub woofer? Are you looking for a floor stander or large bookshelf?
What kind of music do you normally listen to? What source and amplification will you be using?

LeRoy

cackalacky
07-04-2010, 12:08 PM
[QUOTE=LeRoy]Paradigm, PSB, Energy, KEF, Monitor Audio, Axiom, Aperion Audio, Mordaunt-Short, Klipsch, Mirage, and Vienna Acoustics are brands that come to mind with regard to generally having products that offer pretty good musical reproduction for the dollar.

Other brands that offer a line or product that fits into your price point: Dynaudio, Spendor, Dali, Magneplanar, Canton, and Rega.

I'm sure others on this forum will contribute to the list but that's all I can think of at this time. Are you looking to add a sub woofer? Are you looking for a floor stander or large bookshelf?
What kind of music do you normally listen to? What source and amplification will you be using?

Would rather avoid the sub woofer. Jazz, blues, rock, country, bluegrass, gospel, classical. I'll start with a low end Marantz CD player, leaning toward the Portal Audio Panache integrated amp.

JohnMichael
07-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Would rather avoid the sub woofer. Jazz, blues, rock, country, bluegrass, gospel, classical. I'll start with a low end Marantz CD player, leaning toward the Portal Audio Panache integrated amp.

I have been very pleased with the Monitor Audio RS6's. This is a reasonably priced speaker with enough bass that you may not feel the need for a subwoofer. Adam the site admin has a pair for sale. They have been replaced by the RX6 but I can not imagine that they better the RS6's by any appreciable margin. The only pair I have heard were not as broken in as my RS6's and mine are driven by the Krell and the store was driving the RX6's with a midrange receiver.

If you buy the Portal Audio Panache I would be interested in reading what you think of it. I tried to order one but the phone would ring and one time I left a message and never received a return call. Then the Krell S-300i caught my eye and it has been love ever since.

LeRoy
07-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Here is another brand I forgot to include in my prior list and you may also want to research these three models.

FOCAL - 714V TOWER SPEAKER
FOCAL JM LABS - 716V TOWER SPEAKER
FOCAL - 726V TOWER SPEAKER

Check out pricing at http://www.musicdirect.com/category/33

Focal/JM Labs is noted for their tweeter and also for being very efficient.

bobsticks
07-04-2010, 07:50 PM
JM Focal makes some damn good speakers...well worth an audition.

Sonus Faber sounds good to these ears with the Portal.

devuonoste
07-05-2010, 09:50 AM
I think GR-Research has the best bang for your buck speaker kits for DIYs and if you don't want to DIY, you can get Danny to send them to the Skiing Ninja and they will complete the speakers for you.

Also, one internet company that hasn't been mentioned is av123. I know the president has had some issues as of late but most of their products provide some of the best bang for your buck deals out there. It's hard to beat their Rocket, LS, ELT and X-series in each of their respective classes.

Auricauricle
07-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Luvtolisten's advice is sage: loudspeakers are probably among the most critical pieces of gear and only a dispassionate subjective appraisal will do in making one's decision as to what is gold and what is dust. I would just add that when you audition speakers, you first stop listening to the music and listen, instead, to the speakers. When a saxophone in played, do you hear a saxophone or an instrument that is said to be a saxophone? When a voice is presented, do you hear a person singing or is it a representation of a person singing? Put on your thinking cap and try to put yourself in the room alongside the performers. Are they there with you or are they in another room? Can you feel the brushes on the cymbals caressing the discs? Can you taste the woodiness of the oboe's reed?

Then, after you have done all of this, listen to the music. Close your eyes. Where are the musicians? Are any of them placed behind one another or are they arrayed in a row before you? Is that singer singing at you or is (she) singing to you?

Are you tapping your toes and hanging on to the last beat? Or do you have another disc in your hand, ready to put on when this one is through?

Just food for thought....

RGA
07-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Too many speaker choice to recommend when you start looking at used. As you notice the more people who reply the more speakers get added to the list and then you have 50 speakers to choose from - and personally I don't see them all being great bang for buck speakers. B&W with the right front end can sound as good as most here - and for $2k the Magnepan 1.6 has to be considered as well.

I would try and consider how much bass you're going to want - Most standmounts have limited bass and dynamics. If you read the current issue of Hi-Fi Choice magazine often found at Chapters you will see a number of standmounts compared against eachother and in the "dislikes" part of the review dynamics came up as a problem for most of them.

I generally prefer the bigger standmounts if you go this route. The Audio Note K/Spe placed hard in corners or the Reference 3a MM De Capo possess more full range sound than do most. But they are in the $2500 - $3000 price range. And even here you may want a sub.

Floorstanders are all over the map, if you can find ones where the cabinet gets out of the way and does sound boxy you might be quite happy. The B&W 604 I found rather good but the treble may be an issue. Metal tweeters for me seem to standout more than they should.

You might be able to Find some Tannoy Prestige speakers on the used market - the kensington SE retails for about $8k and might be had in the $2k range used. Very nice sound.

Really it's going to come down to what you like. Definitely audition them before you buy.

manlystanley
07-06-2010, 05:56 AM

Questions like this, many times end in heated debates about what speakers are the best value. I personally, am very pleased with my Jamo C809's, however, someone else might might the soft high end to be 'boring'. It all depends on what your tastes are.

Before plopping down $2,000 I really suggest that you start off with used speakers that cost less the $250. Try out multiple ones, sell the ones that don't trip your trigger and then when you have a good idea of what you like then lay down your cash for the speaker of choice.

Best Regards,
Stan