Shyamalan's comeback... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Shyamalan's comeback...

dean_martin
07-02-2010, 01:31 PM
...NOT! The Last Airbender is getting torn apart by users at imdb. It looks like most of them are very familiar with the series or source material. Those in the know are usually the toughest critics. Anyone seen this yet?

3LB
07-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Does he cast himself in a pivatol role in this one?

I dunno, he lost me a couple of movies ago.

bobsticks
07-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Does he cast himself in a pivatol role in this one?

I dunno, he lost me a couple of movies ago.

Yup...he lost me after "Signs"...

recoveryone
07-03-2010, 07:12 AM
I'm taking the my daughter today to see it, I'll post later. all I know is the cartoon for now, but the previews look very interesting and follows close to the cartoon story line.

markw
07-03-2010, 07:35 AM
Yeah, from what I read it's in the same league as Jonah Hex.

Shamalwhatever believed his early press and woud up getting a bit hung up in himself. "The 6th Sense" was great, "Unbreakable" and "Signs were OK but later he got a little too "artistic" for his own good. "The Lady in the Water" and "The Happening" totally killed him in my opinion.

But, like the others, I'll try to watch it when it's free on a movie channel. I never could sit through TLITW.

Troy
07-03-2010, 09:01 AM
I snuck into The Happening after seeing another movie on an unbearably hot afternoon when I wanted to enjoy more AC. It was the worst movie I've seen in decades. Half the people in the theater walked out. When it was over, it was one of those moments where total strangers were commiserating with each other over what a trying experience they had just experienced. Like at the DMV or on a very delayed plane flight. What a stunningly amateurish, Ed Woodian POS!

I was shocked to find Shamalamadingdong was getting funding to do another movie after that turd. How in gods name does he get to continue to make movies? Will Airbender finally end his career?

For the record, I loved 6th Sense and Unbreakable. Signs and the Village were OK. Everything else was varying shades of diarrhea brown.

RGA
07-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Roger Ebert starts his review like this:

"The Last Airbender" is an agonizing experience in every category I can think of and others still waiting to be invented. The laws of chance suggest that something should have gone right. Not here. It puts a nail in the coffin of low-rent 3D, but it will need a lot more coffins ....

LOL - http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100630/REVIEWS/100639999/1001/reviews

Yikes!

markw
07-03-2010, 02:36 PM
Roger Ebert starts his review like this:

"The Last Airbender" is an agonizing experience in every category I can think of and others still waiting to be invented. The laws of chance suggest that something should have gone right. Not here. It puts a nail in the coffin of low-rent 3D, but it will need a lot more coffins ....

LOL - http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100630/REVIEWS/100639999/1001/reviews

Yikes!So, he's basically saying that it adds a new dimension to bad? :D

recoveryone
07-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Saw it today, Dialog/script was lacking in a major way, but the story line was right in line with the cartoons first season. I do see where Asians have some beef with the casting since the cartoons characters are Asian. The way the film was introduce, this is the fiirst of maybe 3-4 to follow. If you like martial arts this a good fun film to see, the 3D was no big deal, but I feel it will look real good on Blu Ray. All in all its a good kid flick and the kid within us all.

Breezer88888
07-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Haven't seen it, and probably won't until the Blu-Ray comes out at Netflix. Why would Hollywood, and more so M. Night Shyamalan, make such a significant deviation from the wonderful animated series. I mean, where are all the Asians? I know to tread lightly on this race issue here on AR, but c'mon, the original story is based on Asian culture. It's like if Slumdog Millionaire had a cast of, ... ethnicity of your choice, other than Indian ..., it would be that wrong. There, I've made this as politically correct as I can. I hope you get the idea.

Smokey
07-04-2010, 02:53 AM
Has anybody seen his first movie Praying With Anger where he also star. A typical teenager turn into man saga, but with an Indian twist where he goes to India to discover his roots. An interesting movie.

3LB
07-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Why would Hollywood, and more so M. Night Shyamalan, make such a significant deviation from the wonderful animated series. I mean, where are all the Asians? I know to tread lightly on this race issue here on AR, but c'mon, the original story is based on Asian culture. It's like if Slumdog Millionaire had a cast of, ... ethnicity of your choice, other than Indian ..., it would be that wrong.
its as head-in-ass dumb as making an overtly sentimental homage to the art of Kung Fu, and then putting the word Karate in the title.

Worf101
07-07-2010, 07:17 AM
its as head-in-ass dumb as making an overtly sentimental homage to the art of Kung Fu, and then putting the word Karate in the title.
Touche!