(Advice Needed) Multimedia subwoofer and Klipsch speaker compatability questions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : (Advice Needed) Multimedia subwoofer and Klipsch speaker compatability questions

Nevsky
07-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Hey guys,

I need some advise. I want to create a decent speaker system for music purposes (mostly rock), in my bedroom and the source of music would be from my mp3 player. I currently have a

Cyber Acoustics 3 pc Subwoofer/Satellite System CA-3602
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027VT6V4/ref=oss_product

now this is basically a subwoofer and two small speakers. I like the subwoofer but the speakers are crap. What I want to do is integrate a pair of

Klipsch RB-10 4-Inch Two-Way Bookshelf Loudspeakers
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000782SIC/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A3VXDZGDB0J87N

I would get rid of the speakers that came with it and use those Klipsch ones. mind you ive never installed a pair of speakers before so if anyone can explain how that is done I'd appreciate it. Now i recognize these speakers need a external power source, so I would use a

Pyle - Mini 2x75W Stereo Power Amplifier - PCA3
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P2R1RW/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Alright so heres how im trying to set it up. I want to connect the klipsch speakers to the Amp and then use the amp's media plug to connect to my old subwoofer. Would this set up be possible? If not let me know. If it's not possible, then can anyone recommend a pair of really good speakers (preferrably 200 dollars or lower) that I'd be able to integrate into my current subwoofer. I appreciate any help/advice.

bfalls
07-02-2010, 06:01 AM
I think you'll have a difficult time with this project. The specs on the CA-3602 are:

Output Power 6 W (RMS) Per Channel (satellites) 18 W (RMS) Woofer

The Klipsch' are very efficient, but with only 6W max, I don't think you'll get the results you're expecting. The CA-3602 doesn't specify its impedance, so you really don't know anything about what to expect with the power.

If you're wanting to step up to something more robust, find a nice inexpensive used two channel amp on ebay. For speakers, the RB-10 are nice, but I've also seen some Klipsch B3 in Cherry on Amazon.com for $169, no tax, + free shipping. It handles more power, has a 6.5" woofer instead of 4" and is more efficient (93.5db instead of 90db) and it's darn pretty. There an older series than the RB-10. I was able to purchase the B2 from Amazon a few weeks ago for $125/pr. I enjoyed them so much I bought the B3s. Amazon also has a C1 center for $79. That's a Klipsch 5.0 system for $373. Very do-able. Good Luck.

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-CHERRY-Two-way-bookshelf-speakers/dp/B000NGYLWE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278078824&sr=8-1

basite
07-02-2010, 02:29 PM
hi,

I've had a friend drive chario bookshelf speakers (which weren't that demanding), with a mini (more micro, actually) stereo system thingy, it sounded like crap until he bought a decent amp to go with them, he never ever looked back.

get rid of the cyber acoustics thing altogether, get decent speakers and a decent amp, and you'll never ever look back too...

the subwoofer with your cyber acoustics thing, is not worth keeping. the klipsch speakers will most likely produce better (not specifically lower, but better), bass than the woofer will ever do...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Mr Peabody
07-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Agreed, you can use a mini plug to RCA "Y" adaptor and plug your mp3 player into any receiver's AUX input. Pick up a cheap used receiver to drive your Klipsch and you are set.

Nevsky
07-03-2010, 06:46 AM
You guys have given me alot of good advice. I would have bought that amp, but now I'll have to go with something better. If I have to get rid of the current subwoofer that I have then that would be acceptable as well.

Hmm, bfalls you mentioned the B-3. Believe it or not that was my first choice. However Ive been hearing that the Klipsch reference series produced better quality sound than the synergy series. Have you heard the reference series and been able to compare?

This is really my first project like this. I'm trying not to buy any equipment that will go to waste. I am very greatful for the advice given to me so far by you guys. Thanks.

bobsticks
07-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Are you paying lossy or lossless files?

I tend to agree with bfalls approach. I think a decent receiver or amp combined with the larger B-3's will provide you with vast improvement over what you have now...and. franklly, a nice little system on the cheap. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

A midlevel hi-current receiver would give you option to add more speakers/subwoofer later.

In any case, welcome to the forums and I look forward to the Prospekt of reading about your further audio adventures. :D

Mr Peabody
07-03-2010, 05:31 PM
I haven't heard any of the smaller Reference, I did hear the RF63 & RF82. The RF63, I thought was a better sounding speaker. So I'm wondering if the 82 was an earlier RF. I believe the current models of the RF series are good sounding speakers though. I'm not sure how older RF compare to the Synergy.

Punit Shetty
07-04-2010, 03:41 AM
I would suggest go for pair of powered studio monitors as this will eliminate the need for a seperate amp. For your budget ($ 300) you will get a decent pair form either Mackie / Yamaha / M-Audio / KRK

http://www.sweetwater.com/c405--Active_Monitors/low2high/pn2

http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?cat=2863&cat2=&rl=200&rh=350&instock=0&blowouts=0&ob=p19&filter=&q=&form=search

Mr Peabody
07-04-2010, 10:30 AM
I would suggest go for pair of powered studio monitors as this will eliminate the need for a seperate amp. For your budget ($ 300) you will get a decent pair form either Mackie / Yamaha / M-Audio / KRK

http://www.sweetwater.com/c405--Active_Monitors/low2high/pn2

http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?cat=2863&cat2=&rl=200&rh=350&instock=0&blowouts=0&ob=p19&filter=&q=&form=search

Great idea! Don't forget the Audio Engine as well. They cost a bit but anexcellent sounding speaker. The little set for $199.00 is very good but for Rockin out I suggest the larger pair. If by chance AE would be your choice they do require some break in before sounding their best. I bought the smaller pair for my daughter's computer and I'm always amazed at the useable bass from those litttle gems. They can literally slaughter the Bose in every aspect and Bose wants to charge around the same price.

Nevsky
07-05-2010, 08:43 AM

I tend to agree with bfalls approach. I think a decent receiver or amp combined with the larger B-3's will provide you with vast improvement over what you have now...and. franklly, a nice little system on the cheap. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

A midlevel hi-current receiver would give you option to add more speakers/subwoofer later.

In any case, welcome to the forums and I look forward to the Prospekt of reading about your further audio adventures. :D

The files I play are lossy. Mp3s from 190-320 kpbs (if anyone knows where I can find mp3s at 320 let me know).

Punit Shetty:

Which of those do you have personal experience with specifically?

basite
07-05-2010, 12:41 PM
(if anyone knows where I can find mp3s at 320 let me know).

I'll give you even better. In a store, they're called CD's...

other than that, Itunes, maybe...

Mr Peabody
07-05-2010, 12:45 PM
190 or 320, the mp3 still is compressed and will be inferior to a CD track. So if this is your only source it probably isn't going to be worth throwing a lot of money at. You should really consider the amplified speakers unless planning to get additional music or movie sources down the road.

Some people claim there isn't much difference once you get to 320 but either their gear isn't able to convey the difference or they don't have enough experience with quality source of sound. If you ever compare you should notice the mp3 having a smaller sound stage with seemingly less air around the instruments, compressed. The compression also messes up the frequency response, sometimes it's to the extent that it sounds like some type of remix to me.

It also can come down to how picky you are and your listening style, if your listening is party music or background for home work it may not matter how compressed the sound is. Also as brought out in another similar thread a lot of Pop music is pretty compressed and poorly engineered to begin with. So the type of music you listen to could make the compression less of an issue. Although when I ripped a lot of Rock off my own CD's for portable use I could still tell a difference.

Punit Shetty
07-06-2010, 12:29 AM
I have personal experience with Mackie, a friend has Yamaha, both have really good sound quality. I have heard a lot of good things about the KRK & M-Audio monitors as well from people I know.

Regarding 320 mp3 the following two sites has a really good collection of EDM (electronic dance music, which is what i listen to mostly)

https://www.beatport.com/en-US/html/content/home/detail/1/beatport#app=79a5&a486-index=0
http://www.junodownload.com/all/

Regarding difference between 320 mp3 & wave. about a year ago I blind tested it when I had average equipment (total cost $ 2000 for PC laptop + DAC + Amp + Speakers) i couldn't tell the difference. I recently upgraded all my sound equipment ( total cost $ 6000 for Macbook + DAC + Amp + Speakers + interconnects & cables) The difference is audible now. I had to re-rip my whole CD collection to wave ( which was before in 320 mp3).

IMHO for your situation 320 mp3 should be good enuff.

bfalls
07-06-2010, 06:16 AM

I've listened to several of Klipsch' bookshelf speaker lines. I did find the Reference series a little better that the Synergy with their Cerametalic woofers. But I also found the earlier Synergy KSB-2.1/3.1s to be very good. Although I do find the B2/B3 to be more modern and aesthetically pleasing. Of the KSBs, I actually enjoyed the 2.1 over the 3.1.

Nevsky
07-08-2010, 05:57 PM
I'll give you even better. In a store, they're called CD's...

other than that, Itunes, maybe...

Yeah, this is something that i may need to consider in the future.

For the moment 320k should suffice.

Punit Shetty: I may give the mackie speakers a try. I havent decided yet.

I appreciate all the advice that I got from this thread. You guys really seem to know your stuff. Thanks again.