G'day every one [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : G'day every one

Bluey
06-30-2010, 02:24 AM
Just joined.
After many years without a 2 channel setup [I have home theatre].
I searched the net, visited many HiFi stores and spoke to freinds and work mates before finally deciding on a system to suit my 'older' hearing; a Cambridge 'Azur' 650A + 650C with a nice pair of Focal JMlab floor standers.
It might not be the most expensive or exclusive 'high end' gear, but it does the job very well IMO.
I have a variety of music, which includes a lot of classical, modern [non head banging], jazz, and lots of memories from the 60's and 70's.
Given that it didnt cost me an arm and a leg I'm very happy with the smooth, yet lively result from this sytem.
Probably the only time that British and French seem to work well.

poppachubby
06-30-2010, 02:32 AM
Welcome to AR Bluey. Always glad to hear that someone is enjoying their gear. Don't be so humble, you have some nice stuff and I'm sure it sounds great. We are obsessed with great sound, not final price tag. Cambridge is held in high regard around these parts.

I haven't heard any Focal, something I really want to do. 02audionoob, another member here, has a pair of Focal bookshelf speakers and loves them. From his opinion I figure I would enjoy them also.

Do you just use CDs? There's a small group of analog types here if you enjoy spinning records. The majority favour digital so you'll be right at home.

hahaha, so true.

Hyfi
06-30-2010, 04:30 AM
Welcome! What model JMs do you have? I have an older pair of Tantal 509s which I love for their detail and speed although most JMs are a little light on the depth of bass until you get into the real high end models like the Utopias.

Cambridge is a bit laid back so I am assuming it tames the JMs a bit. Sounds like you have a very listenable setup going on.

bobsticks
06-30-2010, 08:25 AM

How true is that? Nice...:p

I've auditioned Focals several times and with a variety of associated gears...always found the sound pleasing to my ears. I'm sure the Cambridge only add to the level of output. On spec it looks to be a solid system, so "congrats"...and welcome to the forums.

Bluey
07-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the welcome everyone,
I'm getting older by the minute, I couldnt remember my password lol.
The CA duo is settling in beautifully and sounding better by the day.
The JMlab Focals are a pair of floor standing 714s; they work very well and to my ears give a smooth balanced effect.
I leave the records to the 'old' Marantz Gold turntable, which works well through the Onkyo TX-SR 705 and Energy 7.1 HT setup.