Don't Laugh [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Don't Laugh

rboseley
06-28-2010, 06:05 AM
I have a question which may or may not be so basic I will be laugh at. Regardless - I need to solve it, and the retailers just stare at me.

I have a new RV into which EVERYTHING is built into the walls. It is a very inexpensive 5:1 surround system. The turner is also the DVD player. (Samsung). I am getting lots of audio breakup on the HDTV. Cable company says it is internal - although I wonder why the pictures Pixates at the same time. Connection are good - first question.

How here is where I get lost. The speakers, in the walls are hardwired with the grey/blue twins. That means when they get to the hook-up point - I have 12 wires which you twist then insert into its hole and throw the lock clip. The sound on the system is not half bad until the breaking up began. I still happen to believe it has something to to with cable - since it pretty much began when the converted all HD to 4 digits,

Now I go to get a DVD/Tuner and of course they no longer have those red and black clips for input of speaker wires. I can’ rewire the system, but in 2010 it seems to be there should be a device into which I could put these twin wires - then plug that into whatever the inputs are. RCA I presume.

What do I do? I could spend a grand on a Bose 2:1 system and forget the RV speakers. But I have speakers - and I seems I should be able to “plug then in” to the receiver. Why DVD/Tuner? Space. Thanks.

markw
06-28-2010, 07:47 AM
As for your PQ issue, first isolate your problem. connect the cable directly to the cable box, and the cable box directly to the TV. Avoid all internal wiring for this.

If it works fine, your problems are with your internal wiring. Good luck.

And, I have no idea about whtever elst you seem to be trying to say.

bfalls
06-29-2010, 05:58 AM
I think I'm getting the gist of your problem except for a couple of details. From what I understand:

You have a 5.1 in-wall speaker set-up which terminates at the DVD/Tuner as 6 paired wires. (I assume five speakers and a sub-woofer)

Prior, you connect the wires to the DVD/Tuner using the red and black terminals on the back where you placed the wires in the holes and pushed a locking mechanism to secure each of them.

Here's where our confusion comes in. I guessing you have new gear which doesn't have the same type of connections and you want know how to connect it.

Can you explain this comment further?

"I still happen to believe it has something to to with cable - since it pretty much began when the converted all HD to 4 digits,

As far as the audio and breakup is concerned. Let's solve the wiring problem first so we don't chase our tails.

Can you provide a picture of the wires and back of unit you want to connect them to? A cell phone picture would be OK. Or, tell us the model number of the DVD/Tuner unit so we can look it up online. The more information the better.

Rich-n-Texas
06-29-2010, 09:56 AM
I think what he meant bfalls is that his cable company has added another digit to the channel lineup system to include channels in the 1000's range. FiOS did that a couple of years ago. What that has to do with his audio breakup though is beyond me.

bfalls
06-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Thanks Rich. I didn't have a clue. Being in the remote suburbs I get satellite or OTA. I haven't had to deal with cable for many years.

Question:

Does cable have the same high/low volume issues I have with Dishnetwork? I frequently have to turn down the volume substantially after changing channels. Luckily I have a quality system and haven't blown speakers. Yes, it's that bad. Especially when going from recorded to live feed.

markw
06-29-2010, 01:48 PM
I'm having problems visualizing a DVD/tuner that has built-in processing and power amps, particularly one that is blessed by a local cable franchise. The fact that he want to go from RCA plugs to speaker wires just compounds my curiosity.

Most cable system I'm familiar with force one to use their quasi-propritary hardware and I've never seen any with built-in audio amps..

rboseley
06-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Bfalls - you have it exactly. Forget the picture - I know now that's another issue.
But those wires which formerly went into the clips. What do I do with them on a tuner with RCA jacks? Must be some sort of "converter/connector. Due to space requirements I need the Dv/tuner as opposed to a stand a lone tuner.

Thanks, Bob

basite
06-30-2010, 02:32 AM
Bfalls - you have it exactly. Forget the picture - I know now that's another issue.
But those wires which formerly went into the clips. What do I do with them on a tuner with RCA jacks? Must be some sort of "converter/connector. Due to space requirements I need the Dv/tuner as opposed to a stand a lone tuner.

Thanks, Bob

are the speakers self powered? assuming you say the speakers cables end in the standard red/black cables, I suppose they are not self powered, and thus need an amplifier...

what dvd/tuner do you have, exactly? and does it include an amplifier?

bfalls
06-30-2010, 06:24 AM
Rboseley, a picture would go a long way here. Send a photo of the back of the unit you want to connect the speakers to. Or at least give us a model number of the unit, so we can find a manual online.