Vintage Speaker Hepl Please ! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Speaker Hepl Please !

jgscott
06-27-2010, 08:16 PM
Hi,

I'm am new to the Forum and love it. I was wondering if I could ask for some 1st hand listening experience help. I have owned more than a few different systems in the past. My Favorite setup was a High end Dennon Certifed amp with Mirage floor standing pyramid speaker. I forgot the models. I loved the sound.

I now own a Yamaha RX-V1000 Receiver running a set of Front Altec Lanzing 508A's and Yamaha Ns-7390 rears.

I also have a set of Advent AV-520CC fronts with Advent HT-204 rears sitting on stands not using.

Also have a set of Realistic ( Radio Shack ) Electrostat 4a's. This might be what I run, but I need to fix the surrounds on 1 of the woofers.

Here are my question:

I'm just not getting the Music quality sound I'm use to from the 508a's with NS-7390 rears. At low volume the 508A are very power hungry. I'm talking CD listening with Piano and strings.

I posted some pic of more than a few Vintage speakers someone is selling.
Does anyone see and reconize 2 or 3 pair that I might really like to buy in the pictures. Thanks

poppachubby
06-28-2010, 01:52 AM
Welcome to AR. I think you'll need to host the pics somewhere like Flickr and resize them before posting. They're a bit small, it's hard to tell what most of those are.

I think I see some Dynaco's in the group, if so they are excellent speakers, although a bit hungry too.

What you need is better efficiency for your mains. As far as what you will like, this is hard to say. Try to repost those pics...

thekid
06-28-2010, 01:55 AM
Welcome to AR!

Looks like someone has accumulated quite the speaker collection.

These photos are really too far away to be able to id these speakers with any degree of accuracy. It does look like there are some Dynaco A-25's in there and some older model KLH. The Dynaco's are an excellent all around speaker. Generall any KLH speaker model 33 or below is going to be solid performer as well.

The speakers with the wood lattice work are most likely Sansui but could be Kenwood or another brand from that era. Not really something you would want. I think you need to contact the seller and get a list and some pricing info before you can get any more help here but who knows someone here might have a sharper eye than me.

Good luck!

jgscott
06-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Thanks. Hey anyone know what model Altec Lansings these are and the year and they perform ?

dakatabg
06-28-2010, 09:10 PM
The exact model should be written right above the 2 midrange and tweeter levels.

Example with the model 1010 it is written up and you can see it, it should be the same with the one you have!!!

http://i48.tinypic.com/jq6n3k.jpg

jgscott
06-29-2010, 09:58 AM
Someone is selling them. I could not get the model #. Thats why I asked if anyone knew what they were and how they sounded.

dakatabg
06-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Why don't you call or email the guy for the exact model?

jgscott
07-01-2010, 12:37 PM
The guy selling is a Jerk. He says the Altec pic'd above say they are 8-II model. I cant find anything that matches that speaker on the web. Anyone know what these are ?

cjpremierfour
07-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Altec made some great speakers back in their time. I'm just not sure this is one of them. I can tell you they were made between 1982 and 1985 and sold retail for @ $960 a pair. ( Orion blue book info)
Even If you can get a good deal and don't mind the guy being a jerk, you should do some more research. I would ask the folks at the JBL/ Lansing forum for more information. There is also a catalog in that database that has almost every model that Altec / JBL made back in that time period.

jgscott
07-27-2010, 08:55 PM
Ok I found the Name of the older Altec Lansings. They are Model 8 series II. Also have a handel of a set of Altec 305 older model NOT 305 S. The Sensitivity rating on the Model 8 series II was 94.

BTW the Model 8 ser II are in the same year as 1010 pictured above. The Mod 8 ser II weight 51 lbs each. Can anyone help please