LP Storage [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : LP Storage

poppachubby
06-26-2010, 02:45 PM
Hey all...

I am tired of side to side storage. Old spines are tough to read, and the covers just aren't as viewable.

This is unfinished, but I think you get the idea. I was originally going to suspend it, but for now I have a surface it can sit on.

I'll keep you posted. I should have it glued/screwed tonight. Painted tommorrow...

02audionoob
06-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Nice idea. Are you planning to put in on tables or legs or something? Or will it stay on the floor?

thekid
06-27-2010, 03:10 AM
Pops
That is nice and it looks like it will work out great!!
The guy I scored the 400 LD's off of used something similar.
His looked to be about the same size as your and it was amazing but he was able to get about 100 titles in each "rack". Have you any idea yet how many you think you will be able to store?

poppachubby
06-27-2010, 05:21 AM
I think it will hold about 500 - 600. I have it on top of my old console. It needs painting now, it's pretty ugly. I'll take a pic once it's done.

I'm stoked because I'll be able to flip through my LPs with ease. I am out of touch with my collection.

thekid
06-27-2010, 06:13 AM
I am out of touch with my collection.

Know the feeling! I have been excited on a few occasions to pick up some great vinyl only to get home and realize I already have a copy. Thankfully since I only pay a $1 or less for vinyl my failing memory does not hurt me too much.

Look forward to seeing the finished product.

poppachubby
06-27-2010, 08:18 AM
1st coat...

02audionoob
06-27-2010, 09:29 AM
Do you have any idea what the whole thing is going to weigh when it's done and loaded?

hifitommy
06-27-2010, 09:50 AM
yeah, i always prefereed that but they eat up so much space. i dearly love to flip through records and see the covers but you would need a 5000 sq ft house with dedicated rooms for records to accommodate a collection of any real size.

even one like yours would be too space hungry in my house and i dont live in an apartment.

if you can tolerate that in your space, then-happy days! i am jealous.

poppachubby
06-27-2010, 10:10 AM
Do you have any idea what the whole thing is going to weigh when it's done and loaded?

You're the engineer, you tell me. The cab weighs about 60 lbs, so pretty damn heavy w/ LPs.

poppachubby
06-27-2010, 10:11 AM
yeah, i always prefereed that but they eat up so much space. i dearly love to flip through records and see the covers but you would need a 5000 sq ft house with dedicated rooms for records to accommodate a collection of any real size.

even one like yours would be too space hungry in my house and i dont live in an apartment.

if you can tolerate that in your space, then-happy days! i am jealous.

Yes you are right. My plan is to have this thing filled with the best of the best and profile storage for everything else.

02audionoob
06-27-2010, 10:48 AM
You're the engineer, you tell me. The cab weighs about 60 lbs, so pretty damn heavy w/ LPs.

I chose 10 records at random from my collection and weighed them - 5.25 pounds. Not too bad. At that rate, 600 records would be 315 pounds...about like you and me sitting on it.

hifitommy
06-27-2010, 10:58 AM
measure off one foot of LPs and weigh them. measure your space. divide and multiply.

i am not so sure that table will not weaken under the weight. and it looks like furniture a grade table that you wouldnt want to ruin.

frenchmon
06-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Back in the 80's when I and everyone else use to have tones of album's , we kept them in those peaches crates. Can you still find them these days? Boy Pops...that's going to be really heavy. Why don't you just make individual crates instead of one that has 4 compartments. That way you can stack or have them side by side like we did in the 80's. IF you ever have to move them the way you have them now, you have to dump out all your albums first.

hifitommy
06-27-2010, 11:22 AM
arent very formidable and break relatively easily if moved with records in them. they ARE attractive and the labels of some are collectible.

for what poppa is doing, they would protrude too far out into the room.

poppachubby
06-27-2010, 12:26 PM
I will put peach crates in the same category as spandex and hairspray. I don't plan on moving anything anytime soon.

poppachubby
06-27-2010, 03:53 PM
Done! I highly recommend a similar project for anyone with a large LP collection. Now I am gonna spin some long forgotten goodies.

To my brothers in analog, I bid you goodnight...

thekid
06-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Looks great!
Nice touch using those record protectors.
Looks like you have some nice LP's from what I can see.

frenchmon
06-28-2010, 10:29 AM
Tommy...dont know your age, but I know PoppaC is a youngster...hes in his early 30's so he may be to young to remember, but in the 80's there was an Record store chain called "Peaches Records and Tapes." They sold these album crates that where not real peaches crates but where actually bigger and sturdy crates that where made for albums. I had a bunch of them to hold albums. So they where not in a category as spandex and hairspray as Pops thinks, but a very good and useful tool to hold albums.

Pops it looks great....hope you don't have to move it though...but it does look great. Back in the day, I had mine in those peaches crates and albums all stacked along the wall. Now the few I have are all stacked on the wall.

dean_martin
06-28-2010, 11:59 AM
great work, pops!

02audionoob
06-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Hey frenchmon...at least your original reference to Peaches wasn't lost on me. When I was a youngster, having Peaches crates was very hip. Someone else's picture on Flickr...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/45/146384078_ec2ffaa440.jpg

frenchmon
06-28-2010, 02:19 PM
Hey frenchmon...at least your original reference to Peaches wasn't lost on me. When I was a youngster, having Peaches crates was very hip. Someone else's picture on Flickr...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/45/146384078_ec2ffaa440.jpg

My man!!!! Someone around here knows what im talking about! My brother from another mother!!!! Good looking out noob.

poppachubby
06-28-2010, 02:21 PM
OK maybe I will try to build a similar crate to satisfy all you Regan Republican, cocaine snorting 80's Miami Vice types.

frenchmon
06-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Come to think of it now...I wish I could find some today...I got a feeling I may be needing some as my vinyl collection grows.

frenchmon
06-28-2010, 02:27 PM
OK maybe I will try to build a similar crate to satisfy all you Regan Republican, cocaine snorting 80's Miami Vice types.

Hahahaha...lol! I was all that but not a Republican or Regan fan boy.

02audionoob
06-28-2010, 02:30 PM
No Republicans in this house, and I'm going with IKEA Expedit shelves for my LPs.

http://s2.thisnext.com/media/230x230/IKEA-Expedit-Shelving-Unit_D1BB06E3.jpg

poppachubby
06-28-2010, 02:32 PM
No Republicans in this house, and I'm going with IKEA Expedit shelves for my LPs.

I will be getting those eventually, but not if I can build stackable crates.

02audionoob
06-28-2010, 02:35 PM
I will be getting those eventually, but not if I can build stackable crates.

From the picture, it looks like the bottom of the Peaches crate doesn't set in to fit inside the top of another crate. You could probably build a better crate than theirs.

frenchmon
06-28-2010, 04:12 PM
From the picture, it looks like the bottom of the Peaches crate doesn't set in to fit inside the top of another crate. You could probably build a better crate than theirs.

They didn't sit down into the top of the one on the bottom, but what we did do was stack them two high and sometimes three high... but we turned them on their sides. That way we could thumb throughall of them to get the LP we wanted. Every so offten we would have to reinforce them with a tap with the hammer to tighten them up. But those things where great and served a great purpose.

Edit: They do stack very good on top one another, but to get what you want, you have to take the top one down to get into the one on the bottom.

frenchmon
06-28-2010, 04:14 PM

I like those noob....I may have to follow your lead.

poppachubby
06-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Oh frenchie, you should get a copy of this.

http://p.dada.net/cspv/94-70-54-20-00-MetaPreview-Cover-JPEG256x256/joe-henderson/milestone-profiles:-joe-henderson.jpg

frenchmon
06-28-2010, 04:39 PM
I'll look for it...thanks.

Enochrome
06-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Bring forth the DIY greatness!!! Nice Poppa!!

What everyone is thinking is when is Ikea going to come out with put it together
yourself Lp peach crates? Their sleeping on that one.

I like the shelves noob, that is my preferred look, but those sides are so thick: too much real estate.