Steely Dan on SHM-CD anyone? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Steely Dan on SHM-CD anyone?

Demetrio
06-25-2010, 06:12 PM
Any of you guys have checked the recent reissues of Steely Dan's Aja & Gaucho on SHM-CD? Impressions about them, please?

Cheers,
Demetrio.

unleasHell
07-07-2010, 08:25 PM
I have not listened to my Steely Dan Lp's since 1982...

sorry lol

Jack in Wilmington
07-08-2010, 02:16 AM
Any of you guys have checked the recent reissues of Steely Dan's Aja & Gaucho on SHM-CD? Impressions about them, please?

Cheers,
Demetrio.

Hi Demetrio, I wasn't even aware of this format if I can call it that. I see they have an extensive collection of Yes material. I'm still collecting SACD when I see something that I like and vinyl has become a bigger piece of the pie also. Thanks for the heads up amigo.

3LB
07-08-2010, 10:39 AM
what be SHM-CD?

jimbob
07-08-2010, 11:38 AM
I have some Van Morrison on this disk type. I'm not sure if there is any improvement though.

http://shm-cd.co-site.jp/about/about_e.html

3LB
07-08-2010, 02:35 PM
oh.......
allows for a more accurate reading of the pits
helps control dreaded jittervitus

you wanna know how to tell if your CDs aren't being "read accurately"? ... it skips, sticks or doesn't play.

DIGITAL - it either is or it is not,
there is no try

Demetrio
07-08-2010, 02:46 PM
what be SHM-CD?

Hi, 3LB, check this link for more information:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/popular_formats/SHM-CD/index.html

I must say I was very interested in this stuff until some time ago, but after getting some of them I lost my interest almost totally. Most of the SHM-CDs I checked were recent remasters (that, as we know, are usually too compressed) and just too expensive for the not-so-great music content. Even one from Camel I had the chance to buy (Breathless) came with the songs in wrong sequence order, so I got rid of it immediately.

Cheers,
Demetrio.

PeruvianSkies
07-09-2010, 07:55 PM
I would rather invest in the EMM Labs SACD and DSD processors from a hardware standpoint which will get the most out of the disc.