Oppo-rtunity Knocked today....... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Oppo-rtunity Knocked today.......

thekid
06-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Had the day off today so got out and made my thrift rounds a day earlier than normal and it paid off. Found a Oppo DV-981HD player with remote for $25! Tried not to draw attention by laughing and running up to the counter.

It is already hooked up to my main HT system replacing the previous Sony HD player.
PQ is great. As this is also a SACD player I will check its ability as a CD player a little later. I know it is not the best Oppo player but you can't beat the price........ :smilewinkgrin:

dean_martin
06-25-2010, 12:47 PM
Wow! Nice score.

frenchmon
06-25-2010, 02:20 PM
Where do you guys live?

poppachubby
06-25-2010, 03:49 PM
You gotta be kidding me....

thekid
06-25-2010, 04:08 PM
You gotta be kidding me....

Pops

I won't dig the Salvation Army sticker out of the trash but if you need a signed testimonial from my son to authenticate this score I can provide it.

I am in the processing of setting up a "regular" score that I also found on CL today. I will post that in Daks New finds thread.

Selfishly I thought this Oppo deserved its own thread........ :2:

poppachubby
06-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Ok I am out of denial now. I suppose with BluRay kickin azz we should expect more of this.

atomicAdam
06-25-2010, 05:55 PM
hell of a score there!

thekid
06-26-2010, 02:14 AM
Ok I am out of denial now. I suppose with BluRay kickin azz we should expect more of this.

Let's hope so!!

TheHills44060
06-26-2010, 06:16 AM
wow you stole that thing. lucky bastard.

bobsticks
06-26-2010, 09:08 AM
Dude...that's so right that it's wrong. One of my buddies down in St. Louis has that model and it is a competent player. Nice find.

Worf101
11-18-2010, 05:40 AM
You know there's an old Sly and the Family Stone song called "Luv and Haight". I love you cause you're one great guy with a real talent for scouring the thrifts and squeezin' a dollar till the eagle chit's pennies, BUT you're also one annoying little squint fer grabbin' up every bargain in North America!!!!!

To quote that great philosopher Sir Samuel of Yosemite....

"Ah Hate You Rabbit...."

Worf :biggrin5:

JoeE SP9
11-18-2010, 10:08 AM
Damn!!!!:yikes: You sure are doing something right.:yesnod: The thrift's and SA's around these parts must get what your's don't want.:mad:

thekid
11-18-2010, 05:30 PM
Worf - I promise I will stay away from the the thrifts in your areas as to keep you from "Haighting" me ............ :D

JoeE- I like to say my good fortune is because of clean living but I just finished a "Chipwich" so I'd be lying......... :D

Mr Peabody
11-18-2010, 06:40 PM
All I can say is you'd better not move away from there. You'd die digging through the dives we have. I'm checking real estate in your area :) I'll be out there in flip flops and plad bermudas every morning making my thrift runs :)

thekid
11-19-2010, 04:56 PM
All I can say is you'd better not move away from there. You'd die digging through the dives we have. I'm checking real estate in your area :) I'll be out there in flip flops and plad bermudas every morning making my thrift runs :)

Perhaps the Chamber of Commerce can adopt a new ad campaign to attract people to the area...... Sun,Surf, Sand and Salvation Armies..... :D

pixelthis
11-20-2010, 01:19 PM
All I EVER FIND is old Sound design stuff with a record changer in the top, and a 8 track
in the front, and neither work.
NOW SOME might question the logic of tossing an OPPO, but they probably wanted a BLU
PLAYER, my guess at least.:1:

atomicAdam
11-21-2010, 05:48 AM
I'm sure you've all seen this - but I heard a couple/saw a couple of these at RMAF. It is hard to say what 'it' sounded like given the environment and unfamiliarity with paired equipment. But I thought it was pretty cool.

http://www.modwright.com/modifications/19

http://www.modwright.com/images/Oppo_SE_tube_mod_external_fron_corner.jpg

hifitommy
11-21-2010, 09:11 AM
i KEEL you.

thekid
03-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Doing my regular Saturday morning CL scrounge search and came across this Oppo DV-970HD. Had to pay a little more than the DV-981HD but getting two quality Oppo players for less than $70 is pretty nice I think.... :2:

Debating now to hook it to the bedroom HT or use it as a stand alone SACD player. Stereophile magazine gave it a pretty good write up as SACD player.

http://www.stereophile.com/hirezplayers/507oppo/index.html

TheHills44060
03-06-2011, 08:18 AM
thekid strikes again...niiiiiice

hifitommy
03-06-2011, 08:54 AM
i have a sony ns500v for sacd and its a fine sacd and rbcd player. if youve been listening to the 755 in that way, this is a good time to insert the oppo in its place to hear differences that can make your decision for you as where to put the oppo.

in that i have a fairly large number of CDs, the fact that the sony sounds exemplary on RBCD is a major benefit. the oppo has the same potential just as my marantz dv6001 does. i can use them interchangeably but i prefer the sony.

thekid
03-06-2011, 09:30 AM
i have a sony ns500v for sacd and its a fine sacd and rbcd player. if youve been listening to the 755 in that way, this is a good time to insert the oppo in its place to hear differences that can make your decision for you as where to put the oppo.

in that i have a fairly large number of CDs, the fact that the sony sounds exemplary on RBCD is a major benefit. the oppo has the same potential just as my marantz dv6001 does. i can use them interchangeably but i prefer the sony.

I plan on giving it a shot. I hesistated to swap it out with the Sony because the Oppo is silver and everything else in that set-up is black. I have been putting it through its paces this morning with my limited SACD collection using a Pioneer SX-850 and a pair of Polk Rti38's. Very impressive audio! Very detailed and full. Seems to bring out the bottom end and has clear highs. Listening to a SACD copy of "The Freewheelin Bob Dylan" at the moment and the Pioneer and polks have never sounded so good. It should really do well with the Adcom.