powered outdoor speaker recommendations? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : powered outdoor speaker recommendations?

hotspurdotus
06-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Hi folks, this is my first post on the forums.

I am looking for a powered speaker solution I can permanently place in my backyard. I already have a solution for wirelessly transmitting my audio to the speakers, so wireless capability is not required. I have a nearby power outlet, and I would prefer AC power over battery.

I'm not having much luck finding a good solution on my own. I saw a review for Advent AW810 on here that looked encouraging; any other products I should look at?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
06-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Do you want speakers that blend into the surroundings like these

http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/rockspeaker.html

Or just outdoor speakers like these

http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/patiospeakers.html

hotspurdotus
06-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Either style is fine, though I prefer the standard look. My biggest problem is finding powered speakers. I can't identify any powered speakers in the links you posted.

Hyfi
06-25-2010, 06:21 AM
Either style is fine, though I prefer the standard look. My biggest problem is finding powered speakers. I can't identify any powered speakers in the links you posted.

Look at this one near bottom

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-5323690727015_2110_3929631

hotspurdotus
06-25-2010, 08:23 AM
Thanks for spotting that. Of course it's a new product that's not available yet :mad2:

I've not never bought OSD stuff before; can I assume it's not complete junk? I'm not looking for amazing fidelity, just some music on the patio while drinking a few beers.

Poultrygeist
06-25-2010, 04:11 PM
A cheaper and better sounding solution for me was outdoor speakers powered by an indoor system with 50 ft of burial speaker wire.

hotspurdotus
06-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Running wires is still an option, though I'd rather not since it involves digging up my patio stones (again). What sort of speakers are you using, poltygeist?

Poultrygeist
06-27-2010, 02:31 PM
Outdoor Insignia NS-E2111 with a outdoor Marcato Sub but I have a set of Axiom Algonquins on order. If the $330 Axioms don't beat the very good sounding $50 Insignias they will be going back.

I use a Creative X-Fi to transmit wireless PC audio signals to remote systems in my house but it lacks the quality I get from hard wired speakers.

hotspurdotus
07-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Thanks again, Poultry. After some long consideration I think I'll end up going with the wired approach with an inside system after all.

As mentioned earlier, I'm planning on sticking the speakers in my flower beds, where they'll bear the full brunt of the environment (snow in winter, sun and moisture in summer). I'm not a big fan of the rock speaker style, but would they be the more practical choice considering the elements I'm placing them in? Are there traditional style outdoor speakers that are built to handle these conditions, or are they basically built with patio or overhang installation in mind?

My arbitrary budget is around $250. Thanks for any insight.

Poultrygeist
07-24-2010, 08:55 AM
The Axioms are $330 and do sound better than the $50 to $80 Insignias but not a night and day difference. The Axiom manual gives instructions on how to revive the Algonquins if dropped into a swimming pool so that says something about their durability. But $330 is a lot to spend on speakers that stay out year round with no cover so I'd go with the Insignias. My Insignias weren't covered and lived on my deck for two years and saw plenty of southern gully washers and 100 plus temps without missing a beat. I'm treating the Axioms much better on my new porch ( check out my gallery pictures ).

As for burial speaker wire you can use 14 gauge outdoor lighting wire from Lowes which is inexpensive and works well. I believe Parts Express has 16 gauge burial speaker wire on sale for $9/50 ft.

adamvergis
05-29-2014, 01:03 AM
Caught Amazon running a promo on outdoor speakers, got lucky. Has anyone tried - AZON DEAL MAXIMIZER (google it, forgot the url) There is a yellow box that gives discount promo codes for any product on Amazon. Couldn't believe that I got to choose my own discount. Once I saw the price, I jumped right on it. Just thought I'd share.