Suggestions for cleaning Blu Ray player laser lens ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for cleaning Blu Ray player laser lens ?

E-Stat
06-24-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm beginning to get some noise during disc playback and know I need a dedicated DVD/BR solution. The old CD based cleaner I have is pretty old and worn. I'd appreciate hearing what others use.

Thanks!

rw

Sir Terrence the Terrible
06-24-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm beginning to get some noise during disc playback and know I need a dedicated DVD/BR solution. The old CD based cleaner I have is pretty old and worn. I'd appreciate hearing what others use.

Thanks!

rw

My personal favorite

http://www.amazon.com/Maxell-BR-LC-Blu-ray-Lens-Cleaner/dp/B00178HN0O/ref=reg_hu-wl_item-added

pixelthis
06-24-2010, 12:35 PM
WHILE YOU'RE AT IT, GET YOURSELF A PET ROCK.
"Lens" cleaners are about as usefull, at least a pet rock is more decorative.
THE LaSER coming from the unit is all you need, its not like a phono needle, there is no contact with the disc.
I HAVE HAD dvd AND cd PLAYERS over ten years old, never cleaned a lens ONCE.
Biggest con since they invented the extended warranty:1:

pixelthis
06-24-2010, 12:39 PM
I SAW A LINK on TALKYS POST THAT HAS LENS CLEANERS
40% off, so maybe peeps are catching on.
Still too high by 60% tho.:1:

06-24-2010, 12:41 PM
Why do the moderators allow this idiot to crap up every thread he posts into. CD lenses don't need cleaning....what the hell??????

pixelthis
06-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Why do the moderators allow this idiot to crap up every thread he posts into. CD lenses don't need cleaning....what the hell??????

Is there no depth to your ignorance?
EDUCATING YOU IS A FULL TIME JOB.
If you absolutely have to waste some money, get a very fine paintbrush, a small one,
use it to brush off the lens, BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO.
THE PHOTONIC PRESSURE from the laser wont let dust settle.
But I COMMEND YOU FOR KEEPING armies of marketing hacks and Chinese
factories making this junk going, helping keep the economy going strong.
Know what the diff is between me and you?
I HAVENT WASTED a small fortune on junk like this, designed to keep idiots
entertained.
I have had CD players for ten years, have never cleaned a lens.
NEVER SACRIFICED A GOAT BY THE FULL MOON EITHER,
wouldnt be surprized if you have.:1:

06-24-2010, 01:01 PM
Oh boy......the dust settles on the lens when the player is turned off stupid.

If educating me is your full time job, no wonder you are unemployed. You information is crap, and you are an expert at pulling stuff out of the clouds that don't make any sense whatsoever.

You don't know enough to get a full time job educating me. Start with yourself first, then work your way outward.

E-Stat
06-24-2010, 01:45 PM
My personal favorite
I have to smile because my CD cleaner is also a Maxell product. When you use it, it plays a short multi-vocal part a cappella jingle "For all you do, just ask Max, just ask Max". :)

Thanks! I'll order one ASAP.

rw

E-Stat
06-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Oh boy......the dust settles on the lens when the player is turned off stupid.
I really didn't think that was a complex concept to understand. Dust happens.

rw

06-24-2010, 01:54 PM
I really didn't think that was a complex concept to understand. Dust happens.

rw

I didn't think it was either, but of course for the village idiot it obviously is.

audio amateur
06-24-2010, 02:13 PM
I have to say i have never used any products either, at least not in the past 10 years. I've had my Sony Playstation since 1999 and it's still reading fine. Do you guys use these lens cleaners by precaution or do you actually have a need for them?

E-Stat
06-24-2010, 02:36 PM
. Do you guys use these lens cleaners by precaution or do you actually have a need for them?
If you care about audio/visual quality, they are necessary. Just like cleaning tape heads. And styli.

rw

06-24-2010, 02:37 PM
I have to say i have never used any products either, at least not in the past 10 years. I've had my Sony Playstation since 1999 and it's still reading fine. Do you guys use these lens cleaners by precaution or do you actually have a need for them?

For both in my case.

06-24-2010, 02:38 PM
If you care about audio/visual quality, they are necessary. Just like cleaning tape heads. And styli.

rw

Exactly!

Smokey
06-24-2010, 07:26 PM
If you absolutely have to waste some money, get a very fine paintbrush, a small one, use it to brush off the lens.

That is probably not a good advice. I did that to my DVD players, and it killed it:

Two DVD players down.. (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=31304)

I am a heavy smoker and have to clean my computer CD player almost every other year as computer is sitting close to chair where I smoke. It just stop reading CDs. I use one of those CD cleaner Sir TT mentioned and it works pretty good.

Worf101
06-25-2010, 04:03 AM
I have a CD cleaner, but never went beyond that. Considering the symptoms Smoke and TT have described I probably should've bought and used one for my old Denon ProgScan unit from years ago. Interesting topic, thanks for educating me.

Worf

audio amateur
06-25-2010, 06:19 AM

rw
I haven't noticed any decline in video or audio quality so far.

Hyfi
06-25-2010, 06:57 AM
I don't have any pets but have had rental disks with pet hair and crud statically attached to them. I am in the habit of cleaning any borrowed or rented cd/dvd before it goes into my players. My own disks are kept spotless and without finger prints on them.

I have on a few occasions had a cd not play right and upon removing the cleaner disk from the player, was able to see the small pc of hair that was somewhere it should not have been.

If it happens to cd players, it also happens to dvd/br players.

So, to differ with Pix, I agree they are needed and useful sometimes, and DO work.

hank46
06-25-2010, 10:35 AM
i bought a new disc cd lens cleaner, and used it on most all my disc. players including my dvd players with no harmful effect. i also have cleaned the lens by hand.

Woochifer
06-25-2010, 10:48 PM
If you absolutely have to waste some money, get a very fine paintbrush, a small one,
use it to brush off the lens, BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO.

Care to find me a paintbrush that will fit through a slot loader (which is what the PS3 uses)? :lol:

Woochifer
06-25-2010, 10:55 PM
I have a CD cleaner, but never went beyond that. Considering the symptoms Smoke and TT have described I probably should've bought and used one for my old Denon ProgScan unit from years ago. Interesting topic, thanks for educating me.

Worf

I got a few more years of use out of my Denon DVD player after using a lens cleaning CD. Thought that the DVD drive was a goner after it could no longer reliably read DVDs (it could actually still track CDs), but then I remembered that I had an old cleaning CD. So, I used it and voila, that Denon could play all my DVDs again.

pixelthis
06-28-2010, 04:20 PM
I haven't noticed any decline in video or audio quality so far.

AND YOU WONT.
I have used CD and DVD players, laserdisc, BLU, SACD, etc, and have never
had a problem.
And no degradation in performance, either.
Actually nobody was even going to make these, its obvious to anybody that knows
anything that they are a rather silly idea.
But there was a demand, people (non-technically minded people) actually showed that they wanted them, and if corps are willing to do anything, its parting people with their money.
HENCE, "lens cleaners", special "power" cords, expensive but do absolutely nothing,
special "cables", most of which are no better than ZIP cord, etc.
But lens cleaners are the worst, if anything they will shorten the life of your gear,
and are a total waste of time at best.
You want something worthless and potentially dangerous, vote a
LIBERAL to political office, although free at first, its more expensive in the long run, tho.:1:

06-28-2010, 04:38 PM
I knew this was coming, I knew it. Not a technical reason to not use it, but some half witted explanation that does not make a damn bit of sense.

You have very experienced and knowledgeable people clearly saying why it is necessary, and one bumbling idiot that says it is not. Great....

If you have never had dust on the lenses of your players, great, your lucky. For those who players occasionally won't read a disc, a lense cleaner is essential. For those who talk against it, then have never owned anything worth more than $2.50 anyway.

E-Stat
06-28-2010, 04:49 PM
AND YOU WONT.
I have used CD and DVD players, laserdisc, BLU, SACD, etc, and have never
had a problem.
And no degradation in performance, either.
The Minister of Mediocrity speaks.

HENCE, "lens cleaners", special "power" cords, expensive but do absolutely nothing,
special "cables", most of which are no better than ZIP cord, etc.
Your vast experience with said illustrates that point succinctly.

rw

pixelthis
06-28-2010, 04:58 PM
I knew this was coming, I knew it. Not a technical reason to not use it, but some half witted explanation that does not make a damn bit of sense.

You have very experienced and knowledgeable people clearly saying why it is necessary, and one bumbling idiot that says it is not. Great....

If you have never had dust on the lenses of your players, great, your lucky. For those who players occasionally won't read a disc, a lense cleaner is essential. For those who talk against it, then have never owned anything worth more than $2.50 anyway.

You are the one who doesnt make "sense".
WHERE IS YOUR "TECHNICAL" REASON FOR BUYING THIS VERSION OF A PET ROCK?
I don't need a "technical " reason, not that you would understand one, but answer me this, how does "dust " park on a lense with a high energy diode laser blasting through whenever the device is ON?
Dust, which is moved by sunlight shining through even a closed curtain.
Not to mention that not enough dust will ever get into a player to matter anyway.
And so, shill, people will waste their hard earned money on what you say?
Well, if they listen to you, they deserve such.
I REPEAT, I HAVE NEVER used this garbage in 28 years, never had to,
and neither does anybody else.:1:

audio amateur
06-29-2010, 02:40 AM
My PS2 has had trouble reading PS1 games for a while now. I dismanteld it a couple times in the past and cleaned the lens with alcohol, a solution that ended up not lasting very long. I guess this will be the ultimate test:)

Hyfi
06-29-2010, 03:07 AM
Not to mention that not enough dust will ever get into a player to matter anyway.

Have you ever worked on a computer?

How about in a customers house who has 3 dogs, never ever moved the PC or cleaned it for a few years?

You can pull the crap out of the slot with your fingers it's so thick.

So, maybe that is what one listens to music on, or watches DVDs.

Maybe they have a real CDP right next to the dirty little PC.

I have seen this first hand working on PCs in peoples homes.

My house is almost spotless, and yours must be too, but to claim enough dust and dirt and hair could NEVER get into a player is just ridiculous to say, let alone think.

kevlarus
06-29-2010, 06:34 AM
I don't need a "technical " reason, not that you would understand one, but answer me this, how does "dust " park on a lense with a high energy diode laser blasting through whenever the device is ON?

Dust ONLY moved by sunlight ? Guess you're still sitting in that chair not moving.

Ever walk, have a fan on, use heat or A/C ? They all create air movement and much more movement than today's heat from electronics. Just like what "hyfi" said about computers, right on the money there.

And if none of the above, you may want to check for a pulse. Of course, you'll have critters (ie, spiders) lurking around then.

Rich-n-Texas
06-29-2010, 11:40 AM
...how does "dust " park on a lense with a high energy diode laser blasting through whenever the device is ON?
Isn't dust heavier than light? Does light move air? :crazy:

You've outdone yourself pix.

pixelthis
06-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Have you ever worked on a computer?

How about in a customers house who has 3 dogs, never ever moved the PC or cleaned it for a few years?

You can pull the crap out of the slot with your fingers it's so thick.

So, maybe that is what one listens to music on, or watches DVDs.

Maybe they have a real CDP right next to the dirty little PC.

I have seen this first hand working on PCs in peoples homes.

My house is almost spotless, and yours must be too, but to claim enough dust and dirt and hair could NEVER get into a player is just ridiculous to say, let alone think.

No, its rediculous to think that a "lens" cleaner will do anything, the dirt on the lens
(if any is there) is inconsequential.
I AM DOING A PROJECT, showing just how much dust accumilates on my gear.
IF i don't dust once a week at least it piles up.
AND then I will show the assorted disc players that have never seen a
"lens cleaner", and never will.
Ones eight years old, one is four years old, One at least a decade old, etc.
If you have a dry "cleaner" all it will do is have a chance of scratching your lens, if its a "wet" one it could leave a film on the lens.
PEOPLE DO SOME STUPID THINGS(like buy plasma tv sets, lottery tickets, change their oil every 3,000 miles instead of 5,000, but "special" power cords that do as much
for sound as a PET ROCK) , but that doesnt mean that I have to.
REALLY, if it makes snuggums feel better to have a security blankie, go ahead and get your lens cleaner, its your money.
I'd rather spend mine on something usefull, like Talky repellant.:1:

bobsticks
06-29-2010, 01:03 PM

http://lotcchicago.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/supernova.jpg

It does...if you have an exploding supernova in your listening room...

Rich-n-Texas
06-29-2010, 01:51 PM
That is AWESOME!!!

06-29-2010, 02:18 PM
That explains it all...a supernova went off in P's house, blowing the dust(and his brain) out of room. I guess that is why he doesn't think a lens cleaner is necessary.

Sticks, you are a genious!!!

pixelthis
06-30-2010, 10:53 AM
That explains it all...a supernova went off in P's house, blowing the dust(and his brain) out of room. I guess that is why he doesn't think a lens cleaner is necessary.

Sticks, you are a genious!!!

You certainly arent.
Witness the "lens" cleaners and other junk you bought because you couldnt figure out
how worthless they are.
Of course you cant figue out how worthless you are either.:1:

pixelthis
06-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Isn't dust heavier than light? Does light move air? :crazy:

You havent.
SUNLIGHT HAS PLENTY of pressure to move dust,why you start sneezing when you stand in the window sometimes.
CHECK OUT some of the solar sails NASA is thinking of building to push spaceships,
all of which will have more mass than "dust", that is if you can pull yourself away from the comics long enough.:1:

Hyfi
06-30-2010, 02:38 PM
No, its rediculous to think that a "lens" cleaner will do anything, the dirt on the lens
(if any is there) is inconsequential.

OK, so lets forget about dust for a minute and talk about hair. I have on more than one occasion had a disk that was skipping or not playing right. After putting my useless lens cleaner disk in the player, it played again with no problems. When I removed the cleaner disk from the player, I was able to pick the piece of hair off of the brush on the disk.

So what that means is that there was something in my player that did not belong, and then it wasn't.

Statistics do show that not everything happens to everybody. So, you are the one lucky one posting in this thread that has never had a disk skip.

Kudos to you, I wish I were that lucky.

E-Stat
06-30-2010, 02:52 PM
My PS2 has had trouble reading PS1 games for a while now. I dismanteld it a couple times in the past and cleaned the lens with alcohol, a solution that ended up not lasting very long. I guess this will be the ultimate test:)
Yes, that's the vastly more inconvenient solution.

rw

bobsticks
06-30-2010, 02:59 PM
It should hardly be surprising that a solar panel has more mass than dust...

pixelthis
07-01-2010, 11:07 AM
OK, so lets forget about dust for a minute and talk about hair. I have on more than one occasion had a disk that was skipping or not playing right. After putting my useless lens cleaner disk in the player, it played again with no problems. When I removed the cleaner disk from the player, I was able to pick the piece of hair off of the brush on the disk.

So what that means is that there was something in my player that did not belong, and then it wasn't.

Statistics do show that not everything happens to everybody. So, you are the one lucky one posting in this thread that has never had a disk skip.

Kudos to you, I wish I were that lucky.

If you have hair in your disc player, you have bigger problems than needing a disc player.:1:

pixelthis
07-01-2010, 11:11 AM
It should hardly be surprising that a solar panel has more mass than dust...

NOT A SOLAR PANEL, a solar sail.
A few microns thick, and several kilometers long.
You can use it in the solar system, using pressure from sunshine, or use(thats right :-)...
a launch laser to boost it to a percentage of lightspeed for travel between suns.
A solar panel collects light, turns it into electricity.:1:

07-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Can anyone explain to me just how the last posters response corresponds to what happen's in the drive of a CD, DVD, Blu ray player?

The fact remains that a lot of people live in areas where dust is an issue. It has been demonstrated that the Blu ray cleaner that I have recommended does indeed do its job, do it without damaging the lens, and does it without dismantling any part of the player which can void the warranty. The technology is sound - it generates small suction wind drafts that suck the dust off the lens. Nothing voodoo about that, vacuum devices have been doing that for decades utilizing various wind forces and suction technology.

If a person lives near a freeway, construction site, has dogs or cats that shed, or does not dust regularly(or uses a poor dusting device), these things come in handy, and are very effective. I have one dog that sheds quite a bit, so lens cleaners like the one I use come in handy.

If you have never needed it, great. That does not negate the need of the product one bit. It just means you have never needed it. For those of us who need it, it is indispensable.

E-Stat
07-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Can anyone explain to me just how the last posters response corresponds to what happen's in the drive of a CD, DVD, Blu ray player?
Thanks again for your recommendation forty posts ago. :)

rw

07-01-2010, 05:31 PM

rw

Jeeze, it felt like 400 posts ago. No probs E.

Hyfi
07-02-2010, 03:26 AM

rw

Wait, but 39 posts ago you were told they don't work.

Rich-n-Texas
07-02-2010, 04:01 AM
Now I'm confused. Do they work or don't they? :idea:

If they DO work, that means dust is heavier than light, right? Err, well, at least dust is heavier than laser beams... I think.:1:

Anyway, what's the name of this thing again? I wanna go buy one. Not only do I have cat hair to deal with, but I also noticed that after pulling out the lamp assembly from my TV, that I have a fine powder (from the cat litter) that gets through the AC in my house and circulates around. I'm sure it'll help in that regard. Well, maybe not. Light may be heavier than powder. I just don't know.

Worf101
07-02-2010, 07:49 AM

If they DO work, that means dust is heavier than light, right? Err, well, at least dust is heavier than laser beams... I think.:1:

Anyway, what's the name of this thing again? I wanna go buy one. Not only do I have cat hair to deal with, but I also noticed that after pulling out the lamp assembly from my TV, that I have a fine powder (from the cat litter) that gets through the AC in my house and circulates around. I'm sure it'll help in that regard. Well, maybe not. Light may be heavier than powder. I just don't know.
A few simple things to remember.

1. Dust is matter.
2. Light is energy.
3. Dust is heavier than photon's of light.
4. If properly collected or focused light CAN move mater.
5. Dust will collect on and in any electronic device that has slots for cooling or media placement.
6. While photonic energy MIGHT move dust, fans, movement of body and objects and general convection from the heat caused by electronic devices doe a far more efficient job of causing the movement and collection of dust.in devices.

Worf

pixelthis
07-02-2010, 10:39 AM

they don't.
Just something to waste money on.:1:

pixelthis
07-02-2010, 10:43 AM

The fact remains that a lot of people live in areas where dust is an issue. It has been demonstrated that the Blu ray cleaner that I have recommended does indeed do its job, do it without damaging the lens, and does it without dismantling any part of the player which can void the warranty. The technology is sound - it generates small suction wind drafts that suck the dust off the lens. Nothing voodoo about that, vacuum devices have been doing that for decades utilizing various wind forces and suction technology.

If a person lives near a freeway, construction site, has dogs or cats that shed, or does not dust regularly(or uses a poor dusting device), these things come in handy, and are very effective. I have one dog that sheds quite a bit, so lens cleaners like the one I use come in handy.

If you have never needed it, great. That does not negate the need of the product one bit. It just means you have never needed it. For those of us who need it, it is indispensable.

Nobody needs it, is the point.
BUT people waste their money on worse, I guess.
But I have a lot of dust in my house, and I DONT NEED ONE.
They werent even making them until a marketing wonk saw a demand.
Doesnt matter if they work or not, if someone will buy one they'll sell one.
Not that the issue is if they work or not, the issue is that they are not needed.:1:

pixelthis
07-02-2010, 10:45 AM
they don't.
Just something to waste money on.:1:

SEE rich?
Didnt even say anything about your brains not working either, etc.
EVEN THO you left the door wide open.
EITHER YOU'RE SLIPPING OR I am:1:

bobsticks
07-02-2010, 10:52 AM
A few simple things to remember.

1. Dust is matter.
2. Light is energy.
3. Dust is heavier than photon's of light.
4. If properly collected or focused light CAN move mater.
5. Dust will collect on and in any electronic device that has slots for cooling or media placement.
6. While photonic energy MIGHT move dust, fans, movement of body and objects and general convection from the heat caused by electronic devices doe a far more efficient job of causing the movement and collection of dust.in devices.

Worf

Thank you for the simplicity and focus of that response.

There is the possibility that the dissenter has a point. If one's home were pearched high atop Mount Everest in a vacuum sealed chamber with massive kilometer long windows coated with polyimide or aluminized 2 µm Kapton then one may have experienced the conversion of light to kinetic foreceful energy.

If one's rig was on the Space Station Mir...nevermind...

bobsticks
07-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Nobody needs it, is the point.
BUT people waste their money on worse, I guess.
But I have a lot of dust in my house, and I DONT NEED ONE.
They werent even making them until a marketing wonk saw a demand.
Doesnt matter if they work or not, if someone will buy one they'll sell one.
Not that the issue is if they work or not, the issue is that they are not needed.:1:

Actually, the original point has been lost in minutae. The current issue at hand might be phrased in terms like, "you have the full right to an opinion, make judgement calls, and theorize but those theories, when applied as anecdotal evidence need to have a basis in reality"...or something along those lines...

E-Stat
07-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Wait, but 39 posts ago you were told they don't work.
I always consider the source, their experience and the level of discrimination demonstrated. Translation: I completely ignored that source. :)

rw

pixelthis
07-05-2010, 11:15 AM
I always consider the source, their experience and the level of discrimination demonstrated. Translation: I completely ignored that source. :)

rw

And wasted your money.
Which is the ultimate revenge of the informed over the ignorant.:1:

pixelthis
07-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Actually, the original point has been lost in minutae. The current issue at hand might be phrased in terms like, "you have the full right to an opinion, make judgement calls, and theorize but those theories, when applied as anecdotal evidence need to have a basis in reality"...or something along those lines...

Heres your "anecdotal" evidence, okay?
I have been buying CD and other disc players since 1983(the first ones were
a 2010 price of four grand), and I have never used any kind of cleaning
device for the lens...EVER.
Thats 27 years, two laserdisc players, a zillion CD players, half a dozen DVD players
(two of which I still have) , and two BLU players.
NEVER had one that showed any symtoms of trouble, except a Sony laser that died
(dead laser) after eight years, and a Toshiba DVD that was a P.O.S outta the box.
All of these were traded or sold, NONE quit.
"lens" cleaners are a joke, people in the know see them and laugh at them, back in the eighties a magazine did a "comparison " of them, which turned out to be an Aprils fool joke.
BUT THATS THE GREAT THING ABOUT AMERICA, you are free to waste your money on crap, and other people are free to get rich off of you.:1:

E-Stat
07-05-2010, 01:21 PM
And wasted your money
I'm sure there are great many audio goodies that I enjoy for which you would say the same. :)

rw

07-05-2010, 02:06 PM
I'm sure there are great many audio goodies that I enjoy for which you would say the same. :)

rw

Yeah, like actually buying quality equipment and properly setting it up.

audio amateur
07-07-2010, 07:51 AM
I checked out the CD cleaners the other day in a shop for which they only had one model which said 'DVD lens cleaner'. Does this mean it's also good for a Compact Disc or CD-ROM drive? Basically I'm looking to clean the lens of my PS2 because it won't read PS1 games and has trouble with music CDs on a recorded CD.

I have a feeling this cleaner was brush based (with a tiny soft brush attached to the underside of the disc), as I have seen on other cleaners in the past. Do these work?

Hyfi
07-07-2010, 09:28 AM
I checked out the CD cleaners the other day in a shop for which they only had one model which said 'DVD lens cleaner'. Does this mean it's also good for a Compact Disc or CD-ROM drive? Basically I'm looking to clean the lens of my PS2 because it won't read PS1 games and has trouble with music CDs on a recorded CD.

I have a feeling this cleaner was brush based (with a tiny soft brush attached to the underside of the disc), as I have seen on other cleaners in the past. Do these work?

They are all mostly the same brush based. And yes, they work for all here who have used them but Pix never needed one so he is the 1 in a million odds individual.

07-07-2010, 10:25 AM

I would stay away from the brush based cleaners. The one I first recommended does not use brushes, but uses wind to create a vacuum that pulls dust away from the lens. It is VERY effective, and there is no chance you will damage the lens. They are not that expensive either at $15.00

audio amateur
07-08-2010, 04:39 AM
I would stay away from the brush based cleaners. The one I first recommended does not use brushes, but uses wind to create a vacuum that pulls dust away from the lens. It is VERY effective, and there is no chance you will damage the lens. They are not that expensive either at $15.00
Thanks T. The reason I was asking, as I stated in my previous post, is because it was explicitely written 'DVD lens cleaner', not 'DVD/CD/Blu-ray lens cleaner'. I'll look into the wind tunnel type and see if I can find the same or a similar cleaner here in France. Shipping from Amazon US would make it pretty expensive I think, not to mention shipping time...