DVD player for music [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD player for music

gistwaterboy
06-24-2010, 10:56 AM
Hi everyone,

I am in the process of setting up a new Hi Fi set up but am on a pretty tight budget. Also I am trying to keep things to a minimum for asthetic reasons.
While I understand that playing a CD through a DVD player is less than ideal as far as sound quality goes it is a comprimise I am going to have to make. I play most of my music through my computer (spdif) or Vinyl anyway.

I was wondering if some DVD players were better for music than others, if so what can you recommend? I don't mind paying a bit of money for the right sound.
Also how am I best to connect this to my Amp for music, Digital optical or via HDMI?

Thanks in advance,
Ross.

bobsticks
06-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Cambridge and Denon make pretty good budget units.

As far as connectivity goes, it will depend solely on what amp/preamp/receiver you are using. Most likely analog RCA cables utilizing the players DACS (as opposed to digital connects which utilize the receivers DACs) will be optimal.

pixelthis
06-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Hi everyone,

I am in the process of setting up a new Hi Fi set up but am on a pretty tight budget. Also I am trying to keep things to a minimum for asthetic reasons.
While I understand that playing a CD through a DVD player is less than ideal as far as sound quality goes it is a comprimise I am going to have to make. I play most of my music through my computer (spdif) or Vinyl anyway.

I was wondering if some DVD players were better for music than others, if so what can you recommend? I don't mind paying a bit of money for the right sound.
Also how am I best to connect this to my Amp for music, Digital optical or via HDMI?

Thanks in advance,
Ross.

It used to be considered a no-no to use a DVD player for CD playback.
Not so much anymore, especially if you buy a unit from an online company
called OPPO.
Also DVD-audio and SACD enabled players(if you can find one) tend to have exelent sound.
I have one (eight years old) has 192kz DACS, and doubles the sampling rate of CD's,
never heard better CD playback.
Just dont get a CHEAP DVD player, can guarentee that they will suck.
A cheap BLU player is another option.:1:

Mr Peabody
06-24-2010, 07:03 PM
I would also add to the list Marantz whose universal players seem to get good talk. If only wanting DVD I'd bet you could get a quality unit for cheap since moving to Blu Ray seems to be taking place now.

check: www.spearitsound.com "used/specials/demos"

Worf101
06-25-2010, 03:53 AM
A mid level Blu-Ray player will probably give you excellent CD playback. I personally find single disk players of all stripes to be annoying so I've kept my trusty Yamaha 5 - disk carousel and prefer it for dedicated music listening. I know that you can spend thousands on ToTL CD players and DAC's but after years of playing music, my hearing's not that fine anymore.

Worf

3LB
06-25-2010, 08:27 AM
Be concerned with sound quality where you actually hear a difference yourself, not just if someone else tells you they do.

Listen to music, not gear.

hifitommy
06-25-2010, 07:56 PM
before i even heard that, i snagged a sony ns500v just after they were discontinued. the unit plays dvd, cd, and sacd andthe BIG surprise was how well it plays rbcd. sacd players upsample and that must be the key. i also have a marantz 6001 that also does dvda.

i have precious few dvda discs but the marantz also does sacd of which i have a fair number. the oppos are also excellent for the money, havent heard one in my system but wouldnt hesitate to grab one given the press they have received.