Distribution Panel - adding speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Distribution Panel - adding speakers

spookybathtub
06-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Hi everyone. I'm starting a project and I need some help, because I don't know enough about speaker distribution.

In my friend's house, there is a system of 37 speakers throughout the house. It was professionally installed 15 years ago. All the speakers are powered by an Altec 9440A amplifier, which is 800W split between 2 channels. Right next to the amp are a pair of Sonance AF8 distribution panels. The system is working fine, but I want to add 8 more speakers outside. I have 8 outdoor speakers, which were purchased with the system but never installed. Wires are already run from the amp closet to the yard, but they're not connected.

My main question is: Do I need to buy a third distribution panel to do this? The outdoor speakers say 30W, 8ohm. I have the manual for the AF8, and it says it's made for 16 speakers per panel, which is already maxed out.

The manual also says this panel puts an 8 ohm load to the amp. So am I correct that having both panels in parallel as they are now is a 4 ohm load? And if I added a third panel, would I then have a 2 ohm load and would that damage the amp?

On a side note, does anybody know why it works okay the way it is, since there are more than 16 speakers per panel? Looking at the connections, there are some terminals on the panel with 2 speakers screwed in.

Thanks everybody.
-Elliott

Mr Peabody
06-22-2010, 04:03 PM
I'm a bit out of my element with multiroom but based on the info you provided you would need another panel and when installed give each pair of speaker it's own set of terminals. In other words go to the old panel and take a pair of speakers off the terminals with multiple pairs connected. It's working the way it is now probably because you don't drive the system hard. You should also add an additional amp or step up to one designed for multiroom use from Sonos or Sherborne. I believe Audio Source may also have some on the cheap.