Electrical noise - not ground loop - help! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Electrical noise - not ground loop - help!

dmb_fan
06-22-2010, 09:21 AM
Hi everyone,

I moved into a new apartment in a tower building and I get the worst intermittent buzzing through my system. It's high pitched - much higher than the 60hz ground loop hum - and it's not a specific frequency the way ground loop hum is. It's like an intermittent white noise made up of only the top couple octaves.

Can anyone recommend a fix? Do I need a line conditioner? And if so, what's the cheapest one you think I can get away with? Might there be another product - a non-audio product - that can do the job for a fraction of the price?

Thanks so much!
-Adam

ps- not that it matters, but someone may ask... speakers:Thiel 3.5, amp:Acurus A250, preamp:NAD 1600, bluray:recent Sony model, projector:Optoma HD20.

pps- I was on this board daily from 2000 to 2004. If anyone from way back when is still around I hope you're doing great these days.

frenchmon
06-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Hi everyone,

I moved into a new apartment in a tower building and I get the worst intermittent buzzing through my system. It's high pitched - much higher than the 60hz ground loop hum - and it's not a specific frequency the way ground loop hum is. It's like an intermittent white noise made up of only the top couple octaves.

Can anyone recommend a fix? Do I need a line conditioner? And if so, what's the cheapest one you think I can get away with? Might there be another product - a non-audio product - that can do the job for a fraction of the price?

Thanks so much!
-Adam

ps- not that it matters, but someone may ask... speakers:Thiel 3.5, amp:Acurus A250, preamp:NAD 1600, bluray:recent Sony model, projector:Optoma HD20.

pps- I was on this board daily from 2000 to 2004. If anyone from way back when is still around I hope you're doing great these days.

...sounds like you need to clean up your dirty power....Try looking at PS audio

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/detail/duet-power-center?cat=power