Seeking Knowledge [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Knowledge

Up and Coming
06-21-2010, 08:05 PM
I've lurked here the past week or so and decided it was time to make a post. I am by no means knowledgeable in this realm and apologize if my questions seem elementary. I'm 18 and moving into an apartment this upcoming school year and would like some help finding some budget (broke as a joke) surround to go with our newly acquired big screen. I've been using craigslist as my primary hunting tool and have found a few things, I will only post one at a time so as to not overwhelm you gurus with requests but here's my first one.....

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ele/1800902159.html

I searched the model number and couldn't come up with anything that informative. I realize my budget (sub $200) is going to be quite limiting but I was just hoping for some guidance to insure I get the most out of what little I have.

Thank you for any help you're able to provide.
Eric

Up and Coming
06-21-2010, 09:36 PM
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/ele/1781527620.html

dakatabg
06-21-2010, 10:06 PM
If it is me, I wouldn't bother buying JVC. They are not known as a very good brand for surround systems. For $200 you can easily get a Pioneer, Yamaha or Kenwood surround receiver that will be much better than the JVC. I am telling you this by my experience because I have had few times JVC receivers and amplifier and they didn't sound that great.

Look for Pioneer, Kenwood, Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha

That is my opinion but you can wait and see what the other members will suggest you.

Good luck and the best way is to keep hunting on craigslist. The good deals go right away and on the same day!

Up and Coming
06-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Thank you very much for the reply, what's the consensus on harman kardon?

dakatabg
06-22-2010, 07:56 AM
Harman Kardon are good receivers too but seems that I missed to mention that.

Up and Coming
06-22-2010, 06:22 PM
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/ele/1798763743.html

This one seemed somewhat promising?

thekid
06-22-2010, 06:49 PM
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/ele/1798763743.html

This one seemed somewhat promising?

First of all welcome to AR.

While not a world beater I can recommend that Panasonic.
I bought that model new in around 02 and it has never given me any problems.
It has been in everyday use by my son for his gaming system for the past 4 or 5 years.
It will not drive power hungry speakers to loud volumes but it will work for moderately efficient 8 ohm speakers.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
06-22-2010, 07:12 PM
I've lurked here the past week or so and decided it was time to make a post. I am by no means knowledgeable in this realm and apologize if my questions seem elementary. I'm 18 and moving into an apartment this upcoming school year and would like some help finding some budget (broke as a joke) surround to go with our newly acquired big screen. I've been using craigslist as my primary hunting tool and have found a few things, I will only post one at a time so as to not overwhelm you gurus with requests but here's my first one.....

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ele/1800902159.html

I searched the model number and couldn't come up with anything that informative. I realize my budget (sub $200) is going to be quite limiting but I was just hoping for some guidance to insure I get the most out of what little I have.

Thank you for any help you're able to provide.
Eric

Eric,
It is my strongest recommendation that you save your money and get a new budget receiver rather than trying to buy somebody elses used one. One thing about receivers is they can work today, and be broke tomorrow when you buy used. You do not know what abuse it has taken, or how it was used, it what conditions(smoking environments are terrible on receivers internal parts), or if it has been driven hard for long periods of time. Both of these receivers are really old and do not even have the newest audio codecs in them. I just think if you are more patient, save your money, you will come out farther ahead in the long run.

If you can save $200-300 additional dollars, you can get a new entry level receiver from Sony, Onkyo(highly recommended) or some of the other first tier manufacturers.

There are a few things that are not wise to buy used. A vacuum cleaner, shoes(for obvious reasons), and receivers are just a few of them. If they break, it cost more to fix them than to replace them.

This is just my advice.

Up and Coming
06-22-2010, 07:32 PM
Thank you very much for the reply, I will try saving up and finding some crazy sale, maybe a 4th of July one will help me out. Is there a store that typically shines or am I alright scanning the generic best buy, circuit city, ultimate electronics?

Mr Peabody
06-22-2010, 07:51 PM
I agree with the idea of buying a new budget receiver. Although I'm not against buying used, the technology for surround sound has changed a lot since Blu ray offering HD audio and HDMI connections. You mentioned you have a new TV and you want your receiver to be compatibel with that.

Here's a couple models to look at but model numbers may not be exact:
Sony DH810
Pioneer vsx 919
Yamaha 465
Onkyo sr-tx607, new model 608, so may be some 607's around on special

You can get some good basic information, look at and price receiver's at www.crutchfield.com www.amazon.com is a good place to shop low price

Up and Coming
06-22-2010, 09:52 PM
Thanks a lot Mr. Peabody, The tv I got has only one hdmi port which my PS3 takes up but it also has a few opticals. I'll check out crutchfield.

Eric

Worf101
06-23-2010, 04:28 AM
I agree with the idea of buying a new budget receiver. Although I'm not against buying used, the technology for surround sound has changed a lot since Blu ray offering HD audio and HDMI connections. You mentioned you have a new TV and you want your receiver to be compatibel with that.

Here's a couple models to look at but model numbers may not be exact:
Sony DH810
Pioneer vsx 919
Yamaha 465
Onkyo sr-tx607, new model 608, so may be some 607's around on special
You can get some good basic information, look at and price receiver's at www.crutchfield.com www.amazon.com is a good place to shop low price
This is great advice. All my receivers have been "lagging edge". Same major features as the current model, but with a few less bells and whistles and a LOT less cost. Listen to the man, check out the bay and good luck.

Worf

bobsticks
06-23-2010, 07:14 AM
Count me in on the "Save Up Some More $$" team.

Some items are okay to purchase used, certainly speakers and subs and often amps as well. Receivers are a different breed. First, technology is in flux at this point (thanks HDMI)and often a unit will become obsolete rather quickly. Moreover, the suggested entry level receivers will give you more bang-for-the-buck.

I would only consider buying a used unit if it came as a refurb from a licensed dealer and had a warranty... www.accessories4less is a good option.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
06-23-2010, 08:49 AM
Thanks a lot Mr. Peabody, The tv I got has only one hdmi port which my PS3 takes up but it also has a few opticals. I'll check out crutchfield.

Eric

Don't worry about having just one HDMI connection. Your new receiver will have more HDMI connections, and you just send everything from the receiver to the television. These new receivers make excellent switching devices.

BadAssJazz
06-25-2010, 04:34 PM
If you're comfortable with Craigslist, then eBay should be fair hunting grounds as well. Some manufacturers like Harman (HK/JBL/Infinity), Polk, etc., maintain a vigorous presence on eBay, where they push their reconditioned products. Like so:

http://myworld.ebay.com/harmanaudio/

http://stores.ebay.com/Polk-Audio-Direct

You can occasionally find an excellent deal. I realize $200 isn't going to carry you very far, but worth looking into.

Also, someone mentioned www.accessories4less.com above, and I agree, albeit with the same caveat that they are authorized to sell reconditioned products. The items are restored by the manufacturer to specs with a warranty, which beats "used" any day. Given your budget constraints, this Onkyo HTIB (short for "home theater in a box") seems feasible:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTS3200/Onkyo/HT-S3200-700w-Receiver-5-Speakers-Subwoofer-Black/1.html

Finally, don't be disheartened if you don't find what you're looking for right away. We all remember our days as a starving student. Back then my idea of audio-video nirvana revolved around a Sony CD "boombox" with RCA outs/ins, and my apartment mate's Fisher VCR and 13" Quasar TV. Yeah, I think you'll do just fine. Good luck with your studies!

hank46
06-25-2010, 05:36 PM
i agree jvc is one to stay away from. onkyo has a few good systems that wont empty your wallet.

pajr2179
07-22-2010, 07:26 PM
JVC= Just Very Crappy..lol