Philips powered speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Philips powered speakers

Dustin_Broke
06-21-2010, 07:08 PM
I was wondering about this but I noticed that my Philips MMS321/17 PC speakers says they are 80 watts but I kinda wonder if that's true. This is what I see. Also on the front of the box it says 80 watts.

I saw this on a website about the speakers.

System Power

•20W RMS per Speaker
•40W RMS Total Continuous Power
•80W RMS Total Peak Power

This is also strange but I also noticed this is saying 80 watts music power from Philips website.

Sound
•Frequency response: 50 - 20.000 Hz
•Music Power: 80 W
•Volume Control: Analogue Volume Control
•Wires: Fixed Wires
•Sound Enhancement: Dynamic Bass Boost, Treble Boost
•Bass optimalization
•Bass enhancement: Dynamic Bass Boost
•Loudspeaker Enhancement: Magnetic Shielded LSB
•Output power (RMS): 2 x 20W

Sir Terrence the Terrible
06-21-2010, 07:30 PM
I was wondering about this but I noticed that my Philips MMS321/17 PC speakers says they are 80 watts but I kinda wonder if that's true. This is what I see. Also on the front of the box it says 80 watts.

I saw this on a website about the speakers.

System Power

•20W RMS per Speaker

This is also strange but I also noticed this is saying 80 watts music power from Philips website.

Sound
•Frequency response: 50 - 20.000 Hz
•Music Power: 80 W
•Volume Control: Analogue Volume Control
•Wires: Fixed Wires
•Sound Enhancement: Dynamic Bass Boost, Treble Boost
•Bass optimalization
•Bass enhancement: Dynamic Bass Boost
•Loudspeaker Enhancement: Magnetic Shielded LSB
•Output power (RMS): 2 x 20W

80 watts is the combined continuous maximum power from the two channels. What you are seeing here is the Philips marketing department in its full glory. List the highest number, and it will sell computer speakers. The reality is not all that marketable. Since when does anyone run their computer speakers at maximum power for long periods of time? Try never because it sounds like crap being driven that hard.

Dustin_Broke
06-21-2010, 07:41 PM
So basicly it is really 80 watts I guess they can go really loud for compact speakers that don't have a subwoofer. But are you saying that it will sound good at 80 watts or will it sound bad? Since on Philips website it says they are 80 watts music power but on a different website it says 80 watts peak power so I kinda got confused. I thought music power means it actualy will be more than 80 watts for peak power. Like 160 watts peak power. Also iit did say RMS so I always that meant like 160 watts if 80 watts is music power.

Smokey
06-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Since on Philips website it says they are 80 watts music power but on a different website it says 80 watts peak power so I kinda got confused. I thought music power means it actualy will be more than 80 watts for peak power. Like 160 watts peak power. Also iit did say RMS so I always that meant like 160 watts if 80 watts is music power.

As Sir TT mentioned, do not pay attention to Philips marketing :)

Lets look at Philips power ratings:

System Power

•20W RMS per Speaker

The notation (RMS) for Peak Power is wrong and very misleading. Continuous Power is labled in RMS term, not Peak Power. Since Peak Power is not continuos and only happen for short burst of time, it can not be labeled as RMS value.

So basically you have a 40 (RMS) watts system, with 80 watts peak power (I don't know where you get 160 watts from).

It is also very importand to state THD (%) when discusing amp's Power. Most cheap amplified speakers have THD rating of 10% which is very excessive. It will give you listening fatigue.

Dustin_Broke
06-22-2010, 12:32 AM
To hear the music loud and clear it has to be 40 watts and if it goes to 80 watts it will be distorted sound? So really these speakers are 40 watts and can go upto 80 watts but it will sound bad. If I' am wrong maybe I don't quite understand how this works still.

markw
06-22-2010, 02:37 AM
To hear the music loud and clear it has to be 40 watts and if it goes to 80 watts it will be distorted sound? So really these speakers are 40 watts and can go upto 80 watts but it will sound bad. If I' am wrong maybe I don't quite understand how this works still.I'm sure it's pretty fast but could yo keep it up all day?

A man once ran about 40 mph for a very short period. He might even have keeled over and died after doing that for all we know.

Would it be fair to say he could run 40 miles per hour and imply that he could do this all day, every day?

That's the reasoning behind that "peak power" spec you see advertised. It might do it for a few milliseconds* but to advertise it as reliable power is a bit shady. It might even go up in smoke while doing it.

And, as Smokey points out, even if they did put out twenty watts, at what distortion level was it? It might sound truly horrible.

*But at what distortion level?

Dustin_Broke
06-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Well if the speakers are really 40 watts total then why would Philips lie and say that they are 80 watts music power or put that 80 watts number big on the box??? Since it seems like it's really bad for the speakers to go 80 watts for a long time so technicly that aren't 80watts looks like. But I can say that they do go really loud and clear without hearing distortion when I play my music. My ears don't hurt at all even when they are up loud. Maybe since the amp is huge brick like thing so it is using a good amp to power them. I have heard other speakers around this price range and most do sound not as clear or I can his the hiss noise. But the Philips I have I don't hear any of that.

Dustin_Broke
06-22-2010, 11:13 AM
Isn't the THD about hearing that hiss like noise when you have the volume down or up? Since if that's the case then I don't hear that on my speakers.

RoyY51
06-22-2010, 11:30 AM
SVI? Is that you?

markw
06-22-2010, 01:06 PM
SVI? Is that you?The Internet can be a valuable tool. It CAN take the onus of having to research many different subjects (like many of us had to do in the old days) from many sources.

Nowadays, one can simply post a query and wait for the answers to roll in.

Those who frequent this (and other) forums that are ready willing and able to help newbies understand the basics of this hobby.

But, that is a two-way street.

The newbie must make some attempt to at least TRY to understand what's been laid out in front of him instead of whining about not understanding it without even trying.

At some point it cannot be "dumbed down" any more.

Who knows? Maybe spending some time actually researching these topics (like we all had to do) might be more fbeneficial to the newbie to have to work for his knowledge instead of simply asking and having the combined wisdom of many simply squandered for their enjoyment.

Dustin_Broke
06-22-2010, 01:50 PM
Well in this case I have to admit but my old screen name was SpankingVanilliace. I changed it to the same screen name as my current e-mail address. Also the big reason why I used the SpankingVanilliace is since my ex boyfriend named Adam had that kind of screen name so I just used the same name. But since we broke up last year on September,14 2009 I no longer need that old screen name. I do miss him but I have to move on since he never keeps his promises.

Right now I think a boy named Dustin Borke from The sims 2 game is hot so that's why I use his name. You can look Dustin up on google if you want to see how he looks like. He is not real but he is a hot white boy. :)

Btw how did you sorta figure out it was me?? I tried sorta to not make it sound like me. LOL

But eather way why does it matter who is who? I mean really was I that special person???

Dustin_Broke
06-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Oh thats right he is the boy on my avatar. LOL

I have always been into audio stuff since I was like around 8 now I am 25.

RoyY51
06-22-2010, 02:00 PM
Well in this case I have to admit but my old screen name was SpankingVanilliace. I changed it to the same screen name as my current e-mail address. Also the big reason why I used the SpankingVanilliace is since my ex boyfriend named Adam had that kind of screen name so I just used the same name. But since we broke up last year on September,14 2009 I no longer need that old screen name. I do miss him but I have to move on since he never keeps his promises.

Right now I think a boy named Dustin Borke from The sims 2 game is hot so that's why I use his name. You can look Dustin up on google if you want to see how he looks like. He is not real but he is a hot white boy. :)

Btw how did you sorta figure out it was me?? I tried sorta to not make it sound like me. LOL

But eather way why does it matter who is who? I mean really was I that special person???
I think "special" just about says it all.

Dustin_Broke
06-22-2010, 02:03 PM
I just wanted to make sure that these speakers were really 80 watts thats all it was but now I know they are only 40 watts total. But I do think it's silly to try make people think they are 80 watts when they really can only go 40 watts.

Dustin_Broke
06-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Let me ask this but was my old screen name better? Or did you guys like it better? just wondering

I still will use my new sn since that's my current e-mail address. But I was just wondering.

I' am just trying to figure out how do you guys always remember me. Even after like 5 years or so.

markw
06-22-2010, 02:15 PM
I just wanted to make sure that these speakers were really 80 watts thats all it was but now I know they are only 40 watts total. But I do think it's silly to try make people think they are 80 watts when they really can only go 40 watts.You've been here for years and had these questions answered many, many times before.

I think it's silly to keep on asking these exact same questions over and over.

Yeah, you're"special", all right. Do you take the short bus to school?

BTW, your screen name doesn't really matter. Your "special" qualites show through in short order.

Dustin_Broke
06-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Well I never really asked about if these were really 80 watts I asked similiar questions though I assume. But now I know they are 40 watts. But still think why would Philips make it sound like 80 watts was the music power. They should of said they are 40 watts on the box. But I guess maybe it's good to add more information like the peak power so at least I know what's the peak is. I before never knew about peak power. I thought before they were same as music power.

Dustin_Broke
06-22-2010, 02:31 PM
You've been here for years and had these questions answered many, many times before.

I think it's silly to keep on asking these exact same questions over and over.

Yeah, you're"special", all right. Do you take the short bus to school?

BTW, your screen name doesn't really matter. Your "special" qualites show through in short order.
Btw what do you mean short bus??? I only seen normal size buses. Eather way I' am not in school or anything.

markw
06-22-2010, 02:46 PM
I think this thread has run it's course, Spanky.

bobsticks
06-22-2010, 03:07 PM
SVI? Is that you?

ROtFLMAO!!! Greenies for you sir!!

RoyY51
06-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the greenies, Bobsticks! It's been a long time.

Dustin_Broke
06-22-2010, 03:57 PM
This is soo funny but I can see it now. This topic is going to be endless but not talking about the speakers anymore. But eather way since we firgured out that the speakers are 40 watts there is no really need to be posting anymore unless you find some information that I need to know.

bobsticks
06-22-2010, 04:20 PM
That would be 100% true had you not tried to hide your true identity. Sorry breh, you're family now, lol, no avoiding it...

Dustin_Broke
06-22-2010, 04:38 PM
The other reason I wanted you guys to now think it was me is since once you find out about me I noticed that you don't give me a straight answer and or make it so I understand it and you guys rather talk about things outside of the topic. Also in the past when I am talking about one type of speakers you talk about other kinds of speakers and basicly end up saying mine sucks. I don't appreciate when you guys did that in the past.

Also if I am compairing two sets of speakers you guys in the past always talked about different speakers and saying to forget the ones I' am compairing and just get these. If I were asking your guys what speakers I should get for around $100 then you can say all the speakers that are good around that price range.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
06-22-2010, 07:18 PM
SVI? Is that you?

You get another greenie from me as well....good guess. I thought it was him(based on the weirdness of his response), but I didn't want to embarrass myself if I was wrong.

Dustin_Broke
06-22-2010, 09:34 PM
What was soo different about my posts compaired to others?? Me saying that I heard no hiss noise so I thought that meant it had low THD? Or was it that no body else talks about these kinds of speakers? Or did you take a wild guess? just wondering

But eather way I hope it's not a bad thing that I' am back to these forums since I' am a very nice person you know. If you met me in person you will know I' am nice. :)

Worf101
06-23-2010, 04:24 AM
Hey Roy...

One more greenie from the far reaches of the Empire!!!!

Worf

Rich-n-Texas
06-23-2010, 05:59 AM
I don't want to brag or anything... but I knew who this troll was after reading his first post. Yes, this is a troll. This troll in particular has a mental disorder, and it repeats itself here over & over so no doubt he isn't getting treatment for it.

On the site where I moderate, members aren't allowed two usernames, and if they're caught posting under two names, they're sent a PM letting them know this and given a choice of which one they want to keep. The other one is banned, permanently. Not hard to understand why that doesn't happen here though since there's only 35 - 40 active users at most. The marketing group that runs this tiny little forum only looks at the number of users, and THAT'S the reason why the s/w will never get upgraded. But yeah, duplicate registrations in this case ain't looked down upon because the sponsors don't see that statistic. It's all about head-count to them.

bobsticks
06-23-2010, 06:56 AM
That may be so oh Wealthy One, but then we woulda' missed out on the wisdom of Heywood and PSkies...

basite
06-23-2010, 08:45 AM

I actually missed you, for a brief moment, until just now, when I read this thread...

now the only thing I feel, is regret, yet another 10 minutes of this beautiful, sunny & warm day...

sounds like you failed in "trying to make it sound not like you"

now, for your question:
each speaker, has an output of 20 watts RMS, so it states, we don't know at what disortion level, but it's probably higher than anything that is widely accepted to be "decent"

the total system output, which means of both speakers TOGETHER, is 40 watts, which is a simple sum: there are 2 speakers, each has 20 watts of output power, which makes it "20 + 20 =", right the answer is "40".

the total system peak power, is supposedly 80 watts, however this rating is dubious, and purely technically seen wrong, as peak power can NEVER, under NO circumstance whatsoever be defined in watts RMS. got it, NEVER. this is all magic marketing talk, that makes no sense whatsoever.

so, if we summarize this all:

the 20 watts is a really optimistic and vague value, as there are no disortion levels mentioned, and they probably they also weren't tested for long time periods, nor over the entire bandwidth. Conclusion: optimistic, vague.

the 40 watts is a simple sum of both speakers, it tells us nothing new. nothing at all. Zero. conclusion: same as above.

the 80 watts: are a marketing strategy, this value is also vague, and utterly optimistic, as there is no way in hell that the amps in those speakers can even output their rated power of 20 watts for longer than half an hour before damaging something important.

and no, your speakers will never ever have an output of 80 watts, for longer than 2 milliseconds. live with it.

There, I did it, another 15 minutes of my life wasted.

Dustin_Broke
06-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Well I can say one thing though that I feel that the amp for these speakers are too powerful for speakers this size. I have read others that have the same thought about these being too powerful too. I think that seriously I can blow the speakers if I turn them up too loud.

Also have you guys ever seen this amp for these speakers? It is huge for speakers this size and weight alot. I have a feeling it can power even speakers like the JBL N26 and go pretty loud. But problem is that the cables are only made so you can use the amp for the Phlips speakers.

Basicly the amp is soo big that they weren't able to add it on the right speakers like normal powered speakers are and have the left speaker passive.

basite
06-23-2010, 11:00 AM
I think that seriously I can blow the speakers if I turn them up too loud.

no, that's because the drivers can't handle the lower frequencies, and start to distort heavily when you turn it up. so yeah, you can blow them up, who cares, you can do that with almost every amp, but it's not the amp's fault.

and now quit whining and buy real speakers.

Dustin_Broke
06-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Well I do know also that all the speakers I had in the past even I turn them up full blast they never got blown. But I really think that the Philips speakers I have is a powerful amp for speakers it's using. But actualy I think that is good since then at higher volume it wont distort as much as underpowered speakers. I have had some under powered speakers and yes at full volume they did distort. I really acutaly think for the price these are great speakers.

hank46
06-23-2010, 02:18 PM
speaker companys always over rate the power. they sell you alot, and your getting less.

RoyY51
06-23-2010, 02:31 PM
You gentlemen humble me with your largess. I never thought that I would see TWO greenies under my name. I'm getting a little choked up here.

I can now go to join my fathers, in whose mighty company I will no longer feel ashamed.

bobsticks
06-23-2010, 02:37 PM
RotFLMAO!

Roy, you need to post more often. Seriously. Embrace your second family.

bobsticks
06-23-2010, 02:41 PM
speaker companys always over rate the power. they sell you alot, and your getting less.

Hank, don't get too wrapped up in it...Dallas is a nice kid but certainly (as has been stated) special. He is on a quest for a non-existant Grail...with nary a Templar in sight.

If'n he had chosen but one of the veritable cornucopia of equi-chitty speakers he's been flogging for years he could've saved and afforded these:

http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/mikel/12_FT_6_INCH--SIDE.jpg

Okay...maybe not...but certainly, in all reality he could be rockin' these:

http://www.psbspeakers.com/Images/Speakers/Synchrony/SYNCHRONY-OnePair.jpg

Dustin_Broke
06-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Woo those would be super nice but no way I can afford such a speaker system. That is like a dream system for me. I would need to be rich or weathly to have a system like those. But eather way if I had alot of money I would probley get a pair of JBL Studio L Series L890 floorstading speakers with a nice 2 channel amp. I don't need a surround sound system.

basite
06-23-2010, 03:30 PM
that first picture, no, you wouldn't be able to afford that, none of us actually could...

That second picture, is way more reachable, even for you, it is reachable. And if not those exact speakers, their smaller versions (the bookshelves, or the smaller floorstanders)
They are in reach, in fact, they could have been yours already, if you weren't so blind/misleaded/stupid to buy worthless and crappy sounding PC speakers every 2 weeks.

Face it, your pc stuff is worthless, crappy sounding and useless.

tell us, exactly, how much sets of pc speakers have you owned yet? and could you give an average price for those?

maybe, you could do some calculations for yourself too...
and maybe, you will then understand our point...

maybe...

Dustin_Broke
06-23-2010, 03:53 PM
Actualy I only have two sets of speakers. One is the Samson StudioDock 3i and one is the Philips MMS321. I' am giving the Samson to my mom since I don't have a iPod Nano or Touch etc. She has a 30 gig classic iPod and it will dock on the Samson speakers. All other speakers in the past I sold them but lost a TON of money. I have a Sony SRS-ZX1 and I paid $280 and I sold it for $90. Then I had got a pair of JBL S36 for $250 and sold them for $130. What is strange is that for the JBL I got them used but like new bit didn't get the same amount I paid for. Basicly I am not selling anymore unless I really have to I have lost more than $500 because of buying and selling on Ebay or Craigslist. I' am still pissed about this even it's been 5 years agao.

But for now I' am happy with these Philips speakers and won't sell them since I will lose more money again.

and NO they are not crappy speakers they sound really good even my mom thought they did. They sound lke a miniture high fi system.

Luvin Da Blues
06-23-2010, 04:41 PM
But for now I' am happy with these Philips speakers and won't sell them since I will lose more money again.

If your happy with these, then I guess this thread no longer has any value to anyone anymore, ' cept to say welcome back. :cornut:

They sound lke a miniture high fi system.

Along with the mini sound to? You really need to save for some big boy speakers to really get all the sound that's recorded on a disk.

(mini sound = no bass, no high end)

Dustin_Broke
06-23-2010, 05:04 PM
Well for it's size there is alot of bass and the highs are really clear and sharp. I had these speakers for at least 2 years and I guess the only changes I would make is that to have the speakers put more low lows but a speaker this size that won't happen unless it has a sub.. I know there is a speaker system from Philips and it uses the same speakers without the bass passive sub on the bottom and acutaly has a real subwoofer. They said those go 100 watts on the box. The model is the Philips SPA9300. They are around the same price range as my speakers.

The speakers I have have great clear highs unlike most speakers it's price range. I guess the Samson ones have great highs too. Only problems with compact speakers is the low lows. Of cource that can be solved by getting a sub though. But having my speakers without a sub and making much more bass than the Samsons is amazing. I guess it really is a virtural sub for the Philips MMS321

Dustin_Broke
06-23-2010, 05:17 PM
I really do like my speakers though and happy with them but I was just wishing that it would handle more lower end but a system without a sub they have alot of good clear sound. I acutaly think it's really cool that they came up with making a system without a sub and have alot of bass still more than normal 2.0 systems.

Dustin_Broke
06-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Basicly the tweeter has a metalic sound to it kinda like how titanium or aluminum tweeters sound like so it reminds me of the old JBL speakers I had that had a titanium dome tweeter.

Smokey
06-23-2010, 06:36 PM
Isn't the THD about hearing that hiss like noise when you have the volume down or up? Since if that's the case then I don't hear that on my speakers.

No. THD (Total harmonic Distortion) refer to amp's quality in amplifying its input signal without distortion. And most of distortions comes in terms of clipping. Your amp will need high clean power to replicate power spikes which can reach to upward of 100-200 watt range. And if your speaker’s amp can not reach that high, you will have distortion.

THD below 1% is acceptable, but for critical listening below 0.3% is preferable.

I look at your speakers manual (in PDF format), and it doers not say anything about THD. So it is probably 10% which is typical of most low-mid end PC speakers.

Dustin_Broke
06-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Here are the specs I got from Philips tech guys.
According to them it says Max RMS is 80.0 watts.

General.
Product Type PC multimedia speakers .Speaker System.
System Components Amplifier , 2 speakers .
Speaker Type Active .
Nominal Output Power (Total) 40.0 Watt .
Max (RMS) Output Power (Total) 80.0 Watt .
Response Bandwidth -19950.0 Hz .
Magnet Type Neodymium .
Magnetic Shield Yes .
Audio Amplifier External .
Connectivity Technology Wired .
Speaker System Details.
Speakers Included 2.0 x Right/left channel speaker - 20.0 Watt - -19950.0 Hz - Wired .
Driver Details Right/left channel speaker : 1.0 x Woofer driver - 50.0 mm - Mylar , Right/left channel speaker : 2.0 x Bass driver , Right/left channel speaker : 1.0 x Tweeter driver .
Connections.Connector Type 1.0 x Audio line-in ( Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm ) .
PC Speakers (Extended Specs).
Cables included qty 1.0 .
Cables length 6.0 ft .Cables type Audio cable .
Miscellaneous.Cables Included 1.0 x Audio cable - 6.0 ft .

Dustin_Broke
06-27-2010, 10:19 PM
You guys said that Philips had wrong specs but they said all above is the specs for real. I wonder the specs I originaly got from a website was wrong. But from Philips they said it was 80 watts RMS.

basite
06-28-2010, 01:48 AM
You guys said that Philips had wrong specs but they said all above is the specs for real. I wonder the specs I originaly got from a website was wrong. But from Philips they said it was 80 watts RMS.

that website just copies the specs from the philips website.

And again, we find the same numbers here:

20 watts x 2 (20 watts per speaker) watts "rms"
40 watts total power (which is 20w + 20w)
and 80 watts max "RMS" (lie, max power is NEVER defined in rms...) total combined system power, for, about one milisecond, that is...

and i could also measure the power at 50%THD, and they'd put out 100 watts per speaker then, who knows, they'd sound awful, but they'd put it out, and you'd believe it.

That's the point, you believe their sales techniques.

yet, you know absolutely nothing. You don't even know what all those numbers actually mean, you think the specs are the holy numbers that define the quality of the speakers,

they don't. in fact, most of them here are lies.

another thing, the "power bandwidth", defined as "19950.0 hz", vague number, actually wrong number too, because you know nothing with it.

power bandwith is defined between 2 values, in this case, supposedly "between 50hz and 20khz", again, we do not know the db increase/decrease at those points, so in the end, we learn nothing new, again...

does make you wonder eh, that even the manufacturer doesn't give "exact" readings and measurements?

get over it, they're just another pc speaker, nothing special...

poppachubby
06-28-2010, 02:11 AM
I don't want to brag or anything... but I knew who this troll was after reading his first post. Yes, this is a troll. This troll in particular has a mental disorder, and it repeats itself here over & over so no doubt he isn't getting treatment for it.

On the site where I moderate, members aren't allowed two usernames, and if they're caught posting under two names, they're sent a PM letting them know this and given a choice of which one they want to keep. The other one is banned, permanently. Not hard to understand why that doesn't happen here though since there's only 35 - 40 active users at most. The marketing group that runs this tiny little forum only looks at the number of users, and THAT'S the reason why the s/w will never get upgraded. But yeah, duplicate registrations in this case ain't looked down upon because the sponsors don't see that statistic. It's all about head-count to them.

I think you're right on all counts Rich but he only trolls in his own threads. Secondly people obviously get perverse entertainment from his posts, no harm in that. I mean after all, you read through it right?

Dustin_Broke
06-28-2010, 05:44 AM
Well why would Philips lie though? Since if they don't give ture specs won't the company get in trouble? I though all companies give true specs about there products.

That would be like saying this Honda Accord has a V6 engine but acutaly it has a V4 engine. Any Company who makes there products can't lie or they will get in trouble.

RoyY51
06-28-2010, 05:59 AM
Why would Philips lie? To sell more product!

Repeat after me: IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY! IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY! IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!

Luvin Da Blues
06-28-2010, 06:04 AM
.......That would be like saying this Honda Accord has a V6 engine but acutaly it has a V4 engine. Any Company who makes there products can't lie or they will get in trouble.

Actually it would be more like Honda saying the V6 has 300HP (@ 10,00RPM). However,if you were to run the engine at that speed it won't last very long.

basite
06-28-2010, 06:15 AM
Well why would Philips lie though? Since if they don't give ture specs won't the company get in trouble? I though all companies give true specs about there products.

That would be like saying this Honda Accord has a V6 engine but acutaly it has a V4 engine.

you don't get it.

philips, as well as most of the big and popular companies, do this, because they're companies. All they want, is your money, and nothing else. that's the world, economy, money, power.

and they don't tell lies as the one you mentioned with the honda. They give you specifications that can never be achieved in real life use, or can only be achieved for mere moments, and possibly damaging the speakers.

It's like saying the honda accord can do 200 miles an hour, which it can, running downhill, completely revved, a tuned motor and stripped of it's entire interior to make it lighter...

Your honda accord will never ever do that on a normal road in stock conditions.

Philips tests these speakers, and their amp. They say it puts out 20 watts/ch RMS, but we don't know at what distortion levels these measurements are taken. Could be that the 20 watt rating (and the 80 watt rating for sure, take my, and everyone else's word on this), is measured at 10 or 15% THD, or even more, which results in awful distortion and possibly damaging the speakers and or amp.

as well as the speakers, which philips claims to go from 50 hz, to 20khz. again, we don't know the distortion levels at both frequencies, neither do we know the levels in between, AND, more importantly, we don't know the volume levels at both given frequencies, nor the frequencies in between. this is often done with pc speakers, and cheaper speakers overall. Philips claims they go down to 50 hz, and up to 20Khz, most likely, (as I said, very often done with pc speakers), these readings are at -8 or -12 db, which is much much quieter than the rest of the frequencies, this response is far from linear, and thus not correct.

these are the lies/marketing techniques that philips, and much other big brands are fooling you with.

Now, I know you'll be saying "yes, but they have crisp highs, and good bass response, and they don't sound distorted at all"

here we are again with the honda accord, doing 200 mph, downhill, completely modded.
the car you buy in the shop never ever does this, and you might say it drives pretty good, and it goes fast, but you have no accurate means of testing that. And with a car this is more possible than with speakers and amps.

audio gears need special equipment to test them, take measurements, ...

and you might say it sounds powerful, and goes low, and has crisp highs, but you can never actually know if the performance is anywhere near the given specs, you have no experience whatsoever testing them, you haven't had experience with any kind of better speakers, or critic listening.
you are a blind customer, you believe what the brands are telling you.

and that's the point.
You say it sounds good, simply because you haven't heard better. Your best experience with sound is with what you can find at best buy, and even there, you probably ignore the "hifi" stuff (which is still crap compared to decent speakers and amps), and go straight for pc speakers.

then you come home, you listen to them, come here to tell that they sound wonderful and magnificent, 2 weeks later you're bored of them, go to bestbuy again, buy another pair of pc speakers, and tell they are very good too. you simply don't know any better.

we told you, a few posts ago, with all the money you spent on these pc speakers so far, you could have bought some decent speakers, and a decent amp, and finally go somewhere, reach something...

we weren't kidding.

but no, you chose to be ignorant. Again.
think about that.

markw
06-28-2010, 06:27 AM
They just keep on pulling and pulling and pulling and the thread goes on forever.

Anyone else see the parallel?

basite
06-28-2010, 06:52 AM
They just keep on pulling and pulling and pulling and the thread goes on forever.

Anyone else see the parallel?

I definitely see it,

I just have nothing better to do now :D

Dustin_Broke
06-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Well I' am not trying to be mean or anything but just I' am shocked that companies would put specs that you don't use. Btw about me not hearing hign end speakers I have heard some speakers such as one of the JBL K2 series in Japan and they cost like around $10,000 each. Also I have heard speakers like from Energy at Niver electronics in Omaha and that store sells higher end speakers than Best Buy does. Don't you remember me saying about me listening to Energy speakers few years agao. Btw I have good ears and I know when a speaker sounds bad. Every speaker has pro and cons of cource like I said that my Philips MMS321 speakers doesn't have the low low sub bass but it goes really clear and loud and have metalic highs. But of cource the speakers like the JBL K2 series since those are big they did make good lows, mids, highs. But the price is WOOO.

Now of cource my Philips won't have that deep low subwoofer bass since it doesn't have a sub and also there is no way that these small speakers can make a room shacking bass. But for these size and have that passive bass speaker it really does add alot of bass without having a sub.

bobsticks
06-28-2010, 03:21 PM
It's important to recognize one's limitations and appreciate the available fruits this world offers us...

Dustin_Broke
06-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Also I have had these speakers for at least 3 years so that shows I like them. I think it was acutaly 4 years.

Dustin_Broke
06-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Well eather way it looks like that Philips is telling true info but not true long term RMS. Probley it's a short RMS so you can't keep it at 80 watts. So probley 40 watts total is the loudest it can get with clear un distorted sounds.

bobsticks
06-28-2010, 07:48 PM
Well eather way it looks like that Philips is telling true info but not true long term RMS. Probley it's a short RMS so you can't keep it at 80 watts. So probley 40 watts total is the loudest it can get with clear un distorted sounds.

That is an optimistic approach...

basite
06-29-2010, 01:56 AM

very optimistic indeed, naive too...

and

tell me, no wait, better - prove me, that they are giving you true info?

tell me, for example, why they don't give distortion levels, or SPL levels with the bandwidth?

have you measured them? can you give me a 3rd party, objective test result?

i'll be waiting...

basite
06-29-2010, 01:57 AM
oh, and there is no such thing as a "short RMS"

and the best distortion numbers I've seen on a pc system, were 10% THD at rated output, and that was at a $500 cambridge audio setup.

your's will probably be the same, if not more, unless you are clipping the amp, which you definitely are when turning it up...

JoeE SP9
06-29-2010, 08:45 AM
For the love of God, is there any knowledgeable enthusiast living near where "SVI" lives? If so, please speak up and volunteer a little time to help this poor misguided person. He won't listen to even the most logical and reasoned argument in print. Maybe some force fed words in the flesh will do the trick.
If he lived even remotely close to me I would invite him over for a listen and an education in the basics.
Are there no enthusiasts in Nebraska? "SVI" desperately needs help. Someone please be a good "Samaritan".

GMichael
06-29-2010, 09:09 AM
I have 3 questions.

1) How did I miss this thread for so long?
2) Why did I click on it now?
3) Who is crazier, Spanky for asking these questions, or us for thinking we have a chance of helping?

Hi Spanks,

Good to see you around again. Hope you dumped that guy Adam. I thought he was playing you all along.

bobsticks
06-29-2010, 09:36 AM
Are there no enthusiasts in Nebraska? "SVI" desperately needs help. Someone please be a good "Samaritan".

I would think by the end of it one would qualify as a good Sumerian. if some brave soul wants to mount his trust onager with spear in hand and attack this challenge be ye warned that you'll be attempting a feat heretofor unheard...assailing the Great Ziggurat of Ur Dallas, temple of audio confusion.

Beware of the tiers of ancient pottery tweeters and phalanxes of developmentally challenged woofers...

May Enlil be with you.

basite
06-30-2010, 10:30 PM
is he gone? he just randomly disappeared for 3 days...

GMichael
07-01-2010, 05:34 AM
is he gone? he just randomly disappeared for 3 days...
Usually a few months. Then he'll be back with the same questions worded differently about a different set of computer speakers. He won't listen to any advice and eventually make the same mistakes over again.

Edit: And I get proved wrong. I like it!

Dustin_Broke
07-01-2010, 05:41 AM
I did some research and found this.

Peak Music Power Output (PMPO)

"The term PMPO is considered misleading and meaningless by audio professionals. Most amplifiers can sustain their PMPO for only a very short time; loudspeakers are not designed to withstand their stated PMPO for anything but a momentary peak without serious damage."

According to this it means that my Philips speakers can't really handle 80 watts without getting the speakers blown. So it looks like they are really 40 watts total and 20 watts each.

What I think is strange is why would companies use PMPO as how loud they go when really they can't handle that much power. Philips should of just put on the box 40W and not 80W as main power. I guess it's ok to put it somewhere on the box or manual as peak power but they need to try to make it so people see that it's really 40 watts and 20 watts each.

GMichael
07-01-2010, 05:48 AM
I did some research and found this.

Peak Music Power Output (PMPO)

"The term PMPO is considered misleading and meaningless by audio professionals. Most amplifiers can sustain their PMPO for only a very short time; loudspeakers are not designed to withstand their stated PMPO for anything but a momentary peak without serious damage."

According to this it means that my Philips speakers can't really handle 80 watts without getting the speakers blown. So it looks like they are really 40 watts total and 20 watts each.

What I think is strange is why would companies use PMPO as how loud they go when really they can't handle that much power. Philips should of just put on the box 40W and not 80W as main power. I guess it's ok to put it somewhere on the box or manual as peak power but they need to try to make it so people see that it's really 40 watts and 20 watts each.

You are correct, but many companies don't do what they should. They do what they think will make them the most money.
Remember, even that 20W per channel rating said nothing about the total distortion at those levels. It is likely that they don't even do a good job at the 20 watts.

Dustin_Broke
07-01-2010, 05:53 AM
So to my original question I made on this topic.

Can these speakers really go 80 watts of music power? Answer is NO.

So I guess this topic is done. :)

Dustin_Broke
07-01-2010, 05:55 AM
Also they did say on the same website that usualy they don't put THD % and just saying they are 80 watts but really they are 40 watts. But I think they at 10% at max volume. Since normaly most affordable speakers are like that.

I know that at normal volume to mid volume they sound great but once they get close to max they sound bad. But I think any amp or speakers will sound bad at max. Since your speaker will make a poping sound etc.

Eather way it's really bad that companies don't give specs that people really need to know and give specs that people don't really use. Like in the real world my speakers are 40 watts total and 20 watts each.

Dustin_Broke
07-01-2010, 06:10 AM
You are correct, but many companies don't do what they should. They do what they think will make them the most money.
Remember, even that 20W per channel rating said nothing about the total distortion at those levels. It is likely that they don't even do a good job at the 20 watts.
I guess it's true that they are in a way trying to make money since they sure made me think they are 80 watts.

GMichael
07-01-2010, 06:15 AM
Also they did say on the same website that usualy they don't put THD % and just saying they are 80 watts but really they are 40 watts. But I think they at 10% at max volume. Since normaly most affordable speakers are like that.

I know that at normal volume to mid volume they sound great but once they get close to max they sound bad. But I think any amp or speakers will sound bad at max. Since your speaker will make a poping sound etc.

Eather way it's really bad that companies don't give specs that people really need to know and give specs that people don't really use. Like in the real world my speakers are 40 watts total and 20 watts each.

Many companies give these misleading numbers while others actually underrate their equipment. It takes time and a lot of listening to find out which companies do what. Many of the people here have experience with both kinds of companies. That’s why when you come here and ask about two kinds of speakers, many will recommend that you get neither and try a 3rd. It’s because they know that both of the manufacturers you asked about are liars.

Dustin_Broke
07-01-2010, 06:17 AM
So does that mean JBL speakers are liars too? Since you guys said my JBL speakers weren't good back when I had them. I was actualy thinking to get a pair of the JBL N24 since I really still like JBL speakers but in a budget. I thought these will be compact and will have great JBL sound.

I' am not saying I will get them yet but I was just thinking about it. But I still enjoy my Philips speakers alot. In the future I was thinking to get the N24 when my Philips speakers stop working.

GMichael
07-01-2010, 06:21 AM
JBL is not bad, but many here know of "better" speakers at about the same price. I listen to the people here as much as I can understand, but you have to listen to the other speakers (as many kinds as possible) to know what sounds best to you.

Dustin_Broke
07-01-2010, 06:44 AM
So I guess what it ends up is whatever I enjoy the most is what matters the most. But I have listened to alot of speakers since back in 1999 and so far I liked JBL the most even today but just need to save money money before I get any like the JBL N24 plus I need to save at least $100 for a basic stereo receiver. So I will need around at least $200 unless I get a very good deal on Ebay for a used JBL N24 speakers. Saddly the affordable JBL series are discontinued and now with the JBL ES series it's too expensive for me to get a pair of new JBL speakers.

But I still really like the Philips MMS321 speakers though. I would say I like the JBL speakers the most and second is the MMS321. The reason I like the Philips is since the highs sound like they have pure titanium dome tweeters having that metalic sound. Plus it has deep bass for such a compact speaker without a sub.

Dustin_Broke
07-01-2010, 07:01 AM
Oh I forgot the third speakers I like is the Cakewalk MA-7A since they has MAXXBASS feature and makes the speakers sound like they are bigger even they are only 3in and half inch woofer. Plus these are affordable around $100.

GMichael
07-01-2010, 07:09 AM
If the Philips make you very happy, then maybe you should get them. But if you can live with the speakers you already have for a while, I'd suggest hanging on to them instead and save your money for a bit. You might find that the next level will make you much happier.

GMichael
07-01-2010, 07:29 AM
In the past, you have found a set of speakers that you fall in love with. You buy them and either sell your old set at ½ value or store them somewhere. A few months later, you are no longer in love with those speakers and buy something else. Then you have another set of speakers to sell at ½ off or get stored & unused. This is an ineficient use of your money. Each time you do this, you are loosing money. I believe that if you were to hold off until you save enough to move to the next level, you may end up with speakers that you stay in love with much longer.
It’s just my opinion, but I am trying to give you the best advice that I can.

Dustin_Broke
07-01-2010, 08:44 AM
True ture that is hows it's been for long time but I have had these speakers for 4 years so I must like them. But who knows how long they will last since any powered speakers get wear and tear you know. But when they stop working I will get the Cakewalk MA-7A or a pair of JBL N24 with a stereo receiver. I actualy might find a good deal on a receiver on Ebay. But eather way me getting the Cakewalk or JBL I will need to save money so if my Philips starts to act up or makes weird noise then I can just buy speakers right away. Btw Cakewalk MA-7A used to be Edirol MA-7A but now Cakewalk owns it but both are from Roland.

basite
07-01-2010, 01:59 PM
No.

No no no.

you are finally making some sense here, albeit not completely true, you're still a bit naive, but, we're getting somewhere.

now, on your future "upgrading plans"

now is about the time that you could start saving for something decent, it shouldn't even be something new, there are lots and lots of great second hand deals out there, for very reasonable price, you could look for a pair of decent bookshelf speakers, with a nice/reasonable amplifier...

just for now, don't go out and buy yet another pair of pc speakers again...

We'll guide you if you want to :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

bobsticks
07-01-2010, 07:28 PM
No.

No no no.

you are finally making some sense here, albeit not completely true, you're still a bit naive, but, we're getting somewhere.

now, on your future "upgrading plans"...

Enhance your calm John Spartan...baby steps, my friend, baby steps...

Smokey
07-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Enhance your calm John Spartan...baby steps, my friend, baby steps...

We been doing those baby steps for last 4 years with Spanky :)

I think the main rrason he keep going back and forth with his system is that he never take care of fundementals. And the fundementals he keep ignoring is having adequet power, and having a base module.

Buying a receiver will take care of power part, and adding a sub will take care of bass shorcomings. He try to shortcut those shorcomings and as usual, end up on a marry-go-round.

Dustin_Broke
07-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Btw what are those green dots by the amount you post? Is that to tell how good you are connected to this forums like a ping? If so how do I get more of those dots since most you guys have like 4 or more. I just want to look like everyone elses screen name meaning having those dots too.

Dustin_Broke
07-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Well I think this biggest problem is I' am always in a limited budget and getting $35 a week from helping around the house isn't enough to really get someone new. I do try to save but some goes to the gas and other things. Also I' am trying to upgrade my desktop PC as well. If as I said before I had money I would get the JBL Studio L Series L890 floorstanding speakers with a nice stereo receiver. But NO way I can afford those so that's why I try my best with my budget and get something I will be happy with like my current Philips speakers. Of cource I would be super happy if I had those high end JBL speakers. I think though the best JBL I had was the JBL S38 I got used many years agao but I sold them and got a pair of Alesis Point Seven studio monitors and yes I sold those already also. But I should of kept the JBL S38. Or even at least kept the JBL S26 since those were great sounding speaker to me. Then by now I might of gotten a better receiver to power the speakers.

Oh well it's too late now.

But at least I had a chance to listen to allkinds of speaker from low end ones to higher end ones.

basite
07-01-2010, 11:38 PM

But at least I had a chance to listen to allkinds of speaker from low end ones to higher end ones.

It's never too late, just try saving money, as I said, there are lots of nice 2nd hand deals out there, 50 or 100 could buy you a nice vintage marantz receiver from the 22xx series, and then you could start saving for speakers too, while in the meanwhile, you could power the philips speakers with your receiver...

I saved up a long time, and I eventually bought a Mcintosh amplifier, and Thiel speakers, costing much much much more than I originally thought I could save up, but I got there, just be patient.

and the green dots are not ping numbers, they are somekind of "respect-o-meter", if you make a post that is actually helpful in a thread, or where your opinion is truly appreciated by others, members here can give you a positive rep point, adding to your rep score. Like this, you build up the green dots... :)

you can check your score on your user control panel.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

GMichael
07-02-2010, 05:18 AM
Well I think this biggest problem is I' am always in a limited budget and getting $35 a week from helping around the house isn't enough to really get someone new. I do try to save but some goes to the gas and other things. Also I' am trying to upgrade my desktop PC as well. If as I said before I had money I would get the JBL Studio L Series L890 floorstanding speakers with a nice stereo receiver. But NO way I can afford those so that's why I try my best with my budget and get something I will be happy with like my current Philips speakers. Of cource I would be super happy if I had those high end JBL speakers. I think though the best JBL I had was the JBL S38 I got used many years agao but I sold them and got a pair of Alesis Point Seven studio monitors and yes I sold those already also. But I should of kept the JBL S38. Or even at least kept the JBL S26 since those were great sounding speaker to me. Then by now I might of gotten a better receiver to power the speakers.

The next time you feel that you have saved enough for an upgrade, just put that money away where you won't spend it. Wait until you are ready again, but don't buy anything. Just keep shopping and saving. Next thing you know, you'll have enough for a decent receiver. Then start saving again. After awhile, you'll have enough saved up to own a nice receiver, decent bookshelf speakers and a small sub. It may not be the monster system that you've dreamed of, but it will be a whole lot better than what you have been using. I guarantee you you that you will end up happier in the long run.

Oh, and keep coming here. Read other threads from people talking about their systems. Keep asking questions. Read ALL the replies. Even the ones that seem rude often have information that can help you down the road. Remember. Life is not a sprint. It's a marathon. Don't be in a rush to throw your money away on something that isn't really any better than what you already have.

Maybe just one thing to look forward to. http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B1031A.aspx

RoyY51
07-02-2010, 05:27 PM
At $35.00 a week (minus gas and other expenses) I sincerely doubt that Spanky will ever come close to being able to purchase even a decent sounding system. And if he did have the funds, he would not have a clue what to look for. So, given that he has provided us with so much entertainment over the years, I propose the following: Lets hook him up!

I have 2 sets of speakers languishing in my garage: a pair of Polk Audio bookshelf speakers and a pair of vintage RSL VA-6A's. Both would be substantially better than what he's used to. If I can persuade another philanthropic member to part with an unwanted, but respectable power source, I will ship whichever speakers mate best with the amplification in question directly to SVI, on my dime. I would expect that the generous owner of the amp would do the same.

I believe that this would have the effect of giving SVI a point of reference that would be immeasurable help in his ongoing quest for musical education. At the very least, we would no longer have to listen to his perpetual dissection of $20.00 computer speakers.

The challenge has been issued. Who among you is man (or woman) enough to step forward?

Roy

P.S. Don't tell the guys at my gun club about this.

RoyY51
07-03-2010, 02:30 PM
"and nothing but the sound of crickets disturbed the night air..."

basite
07-03-2010, 04:52 PM
I would, lots of spare stuff here, but try shipping a 20 pound amp to another part of the world...

if it'd make it out undamaged, it still wouldn't work because of voltage differences...

RoyY51
07-03-2010, 06:13 PM
I understand that the complexities of sending electronic equipment overseas can be a deal-breaker...but I have faith that some of our home-grown enthusiasts will step up to the plate for this worthy (or, at least interesting) cause.

Then again, I believe that our President has our best interests at heart.

RoyY51
07-16-2010, 06:11 PM
Charity: 1 Love for one's fellowmen. 2 Kindness in judging others. 3 The giving of aid to the poor and suffering. 4 Public aid for the poor. 5 Any institution or fund for aiding the needy.

I guess we fail on all counts, hey guys?

Maybe if one of us who doesn't have a mental disorder is in trouble, we can help him.

After all, we're good people...right?

JohnMichael
07-16-2010, 06:18 PM
If you sent him a nice set of speakers and I sent a cd player and another member sent a power source they would be pawned. He would become fascinated by the specs on cheap computer speakers and it would all be over. By the way he was up to 4 screen names. Not sure what he is up to these days. He can still post as SVI.

poppachubby
07-16-2010, 06:30 PM
Roy, you have caught my interest. I am shipping a substantial package to Adam, and after that I could help out. I would consider sending my Marantz SR-640. Ugly but sounds great @ 60 wpc.

http://mysite.verizon.net/tekel/amstereo/sr640.jpg

poppachubby
07-16-2010, 06:31 PM
If you sent him a nice set of speakers and I sent a cd player and another member sent a power source they would be pawned.

Oh. I see.

JoeE SP9
07-16-2010, 06:52 PM
I'm just wondering if "Spanky" has ever heard of what's known as a job?

RoyY51
07-17-2010, 06:52 PM
I'm sure that "Spanky" has heard of a "job". He would probably love to have one. Unfortunately, his mental makeup probably precludes him from qualifying for one. If you think his posts on this forum are meandering, can you imagine him at a job interview (so, tell me Mr. Spanky...do you have any hobbies?).

We all have to play the cards we're dealt. I'm sure that "Spanky" is doing the best he can with what he has to work with.

JohnMichael
07-17-2010, 07:29 PM
We all have to play the cards we're dealt. I'm sure that "Spanky" is doing the best he can with what he has to work with.

I am sure he has challenges but then on the other hand he creates his own site. Then he has the ability to set up a multiple number of screen names. Why does he need 4 screen names? I have tried to support him and refuse calls to ban him as a troll. When PS posted a picture of two hot dogs in one of his threads to offend SVI I responded to PS. I PM'ed him as SVI to ask which of the four screen names he wanted to be and I still have not received a response.

bobsticks
07-17-2010, 09:22 PM
.. I PM'ed him as SVI to ask which of the four screen names he wanted to be and I still have not received a response.

Give it some time. While picking up a perscription at Walgrens I noticed there was a sale on latex gloves...

JohnMichael
07-18-2010, 02:47 AM
Give it some time. While picking up a perscription at Walgrens I noticed there was a sale on latex gloves...

For long term storage he might want to try Zip Loc freezer bags. Thaw, warm to 98.6 and enjoy.

lcswoosh05
07-19-2010, 02:32 AM
I had couple of screen names since I made one for each e-mail address I have. Is it bad to have couple of screen names? Like example one of my e-mail adddress I have is dustin_broke@hotmail.com and then other one is joe.carr@live.com. Btw I haven't been looking at this site for a while. Also did you guys count each screen names I have? LOL

I have been trying to decide what e-mail address to use so I just made a couple of them. I' am sorry if you guys thought I was doing something bad.

I can say this but on one computer forums all of my screen names were banned for somereason but I didn't do anything bad so it was weird. I never was mean to anyone. I' am a nice person you know.

basite
07-19-2010, 02:42 AM
I had couple of screen names since I made one for each e-mail address I have. Is it bad to have couple of screen names? Like example one of my e-mail adddress I have is dustin_broke@hotmail.com and then other one is joe.carr@live.com. Btw I haven't been looking at this site for a while. Also did you guys count each screen names I have? LOL

I have been trying to decide what e-mail address to use so I just made a couple of them. I' am sorry if you guys thought I was doing something bad.

just as it is forbidden to have multiple identities in real life, it is also forbidden here.

now your account "dustin_broke" got suspended, for exactly that reason.

lcswoosh05
07-19-2010, 02:45 AM
So you are not suppose to have different accounts? I didn't know that. I thought it was ok to do it. Sorry

Btw I' am still trying to decide what screen name to use.

What would of been the best is that if I was able to change my screen name on the original account to what I want. But I don't know how to rename a screen name I have.

Like example SpankingVanillaIce and rename it to lcswoosh05.

basite
07-19-2010, 02:59 AM
What would of been the best is that if I was able to change my screen name on the original account to what I want. But I don't know how to rename a screen name I have.

you cannot rename your account.

delete it and make a new one with the name you like.

lcswoosh05
07-19-2010, 03:00 AM
How do I delete each account when I want a new screen name?

JohnMichael
07-19-2010, 03:11 AM
You need to pick one screen name and respond to my PM letting me know which you have chosen. If you do not do that you will be banned completely.

SpankingVanillaice
07-19-2010, 03:53 AM
I noticed that my e-mail address for this screen name is old but how do I update it to lcswoosh05@hotmail.com. Since my other account uses this e-mail I seem to not be able to update this account.

Btw how many accounts did I make total? What were the screen names. I know Dustin_Broke and Joe_Carr and lcswoosh05 and blueae1405 but was there more. I have many e-mail address so it's hard to keep track.

JohnMichael
07-19-2010, 04:14 AM
I noticed that my e-mail address for this screen name is old but how do I update it to lcswoosh05@hotmail.com. Since my other account uses this e-mail I seem to not be able to update this account.

Btw how many accounts did I make total? What were the screen names. I know Dustin_Broke and Joe_Carr and lcswoosh05 and blueae1405 but was there more. I have many e-mail address so it's hard to keep track.

Since I have repeatedly asked you to pick a screen name and respond to my PM and you have not goodbye.

poppachubby
07-19-2010, 05:38 AM
And so ends an era. I almost feel kinda sad. Damnit John!! Why?? Whyyyyyyyy!!!??!??!?!.......

GMichael
07-19-2010, 05:49 AM
He'll be back....

markw
07-19-2010, 06:12 AM
He'll be back....Sorta like foot fungus...

GMichael
07-19-2010, 06:14 AM
Sorta like foot fungus...
:yikes: I'm going to have to ask you to keep your shoes on. :devil:

markw
07-19-2010, 06:46 AM
:yikes: I'm going to have to ask you to keep your shoes on. :devil:Now you now why I wear socks with sandals...

basite
07-19-2010, 07:10 AM
Sorta like foot fungus...

I hope it's like fungus and not like terminator style :D

temp
07-19-2010, 09:14 AM
You need to pick one screen name and respond to my PM letting me know which you have chosen. If you do not do that you will be banned completely.
I had to register again to post this reply but I e-mailed John and said I wanted to use Joe_Carr as my screen name. You can delete this temp screen name. I am sorry and I didn't know you were that upset. I thought you would give me time to think what screen name I want to use.

markw
07-19-2010, 09:42 AM
Gotta buy some more Lamisil

basite
07-19-2010, 09:44 AM
I had to register again to post this reply but I e-mailed John and said I wanted to use Joe_Carr as my screen name. You can delete this temp screen name. I am sorry and I didn't know you were that upset. I thought you would give me time to think what screen name I want to use.

He'll be back....

it's the fungus type, it actually doesn't even go away, it just "remains there unseen", and then strikes back the moment you turn your back on it...

basite
07-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Gotta buy some more Lamisil

this is way more effective:

http://cdn.huddler.com/8/89/895040d5_htf_imgcache_40503.jpeg

tends to kill the grass and the flowers too though... :confused5:

temp
07-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Is it just me or it seems like you guys were happier when I' am not able to post anymore??? Ir seems like you guys think I' am jerk or anything person. But don't you guys remember that I said I' am a nice person years agao. Also I have OCD and thats why I have medicade and SSI. I do enjoy being on these forums but just wished you guys would be nicer to me and will to understand me better. What's also strange is that I have been here for 6 years but still you guys don't adjust to me.

temp
07-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Or are you guys just joking around? I just want to make sure you guys aren't trying to be mean to me. I do remember you guys saying that you were just messing with me and not being mean or something. But if thats the case I wonder why did John seriously banned me. Or are you guys really annoyed by me and you don't want me here?

I remember you guys said this years agao that I have never done anything to get banned and I didnt for 6 years but I guess I was wrong. Once I almost did something and it was about Adam I think but I never done anything that bad. But I guess this time I might of done something really really bad.

I am very sad that now you guys truly hate me now. :(

basite
07-19-2010, 11:51 AM
I am very sad that now you guys truly hate me now. :(

we don't hate you.

you're a legend here at AR, and you would be truly missed if you were gone,

but this was just for a good laugh, you have had so many accounts here, and you have soo much email addresses, JM suspends your accounts, and 10 minutes later, you are back...

and okay, we sometimes get upset by your posts, not because of the post itself, but because of the fact that you just WON'T listen. in the entire SVI history, you went on about a pair of PC speakers, you told them they were the absolute best, you asked a question, we told you alot of things that really mattered, and that you could have learned of, but you kept whining on about how glorious your pc speakers were, then all of a sudden, you got unhappy about them, and got NEW pc speakers that you then again said that they were the best too. then you posted something about them, we all told you that you were to fixated on the specs again, and now in this thread we finally, after all these years, we somewhat managed to make you understand our point

I was actually happy when I read your responses later in this thread, although it remains a mystery to us if you really got it, but still, it's an improvement...

So no, we don't want you gone, but we want you under one screen name, not 5, and more importantly, we want you to think about our advice when you go out again, wanting to buy yet another pair of PC speakers, and we want you to think twice about that purchase. Think about it what you could do with the money if you didn't spend another 50 on yet another pair of pc speakers...

2 times 50 buys you a used vintage receiver, maybe, 3 times certainly do...

A page back, Roy even told that we should hook you up with some of our gears that we don't use anymore. Do you still think we hate you?

Cheers,
Bert.

GMichael
07-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Having more than one screen name is a no-no on most all forums. If the mods find out that you are doing that, they have no choice but to ban you. John is a mod and he asked you to pick the one you wanted to keep and he would delete (or ban) the others. If you needed time to decide, you should have told him so. He probably would have given you more time. He gave you a second warning and you still didn’t reply. You left him no choice but to suspend all of your accounts until you make up your mind. Once you do, I’m sure he’ll be happy to re-open the name you choose.

As far as all the joking, it’s what we do. We’re a fun bunch of guys (and one girl).

So, have you decided which name you like best?

JohnMichael
07-19-2010, 12:29 PM
The fungus is among us.

Joe Carr is once again a member.

I will have more to say tonight when I have computer access. Dallas I have a hard time using the I-phone to respond.

Joe_Carr
07-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Well there was one forums that I made couple accounts but they didn't even give me the chance to say which one I wanted. They just banned all so the only way I can say the one I want is by making a new account. It seems like you can't private message anyone or do anything. Some forums let you see topics but this one showed as private so I wasn't able to see anything other than my posts.

Btw I thought you had to be an admin to ban or delete screen names. I never knew a mod can do that. I remember that mods can delete posts or topics or change what the user said but they weren't able to ban even if they wanted to. Is John an admin? just wondering

Joe_Carr
07-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Btw I did last week got the Edirol MA-1EX USB monitors and I will soon get the Edirol MA-7A. I just like the MaxxBass feature since it really makes the bass go low without overdriving the woofer. If you research MaxxBass you will see what I mean. Plus if I got the MA-7A I can add a real sub if I wanted more bass since there is an sub out RCA female type on back of the amp. I think that would be the best since then I will have full range of sound. But the MaxxBass feature is really cool you know. Also these monitors have bass and treble controls and 3 inputs.

Take a look at the video on this link and it will tell you about MaxxBass.

http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=327

Basicly Cakewalk MA-7A is the current line but are the same as Edirol MA-7A.

Joe_Carr
07-19-2010, 01:44 PM
I have to research on good sub that is affordable though in the future to have more bass if I want to have more bass. I think this will be the cheapest way to get full sound. Since I' am not rich. But MaxxBass is amazing. I will have to decide on if I need a sub or not though when I get the MA-7A monitors from Roland. Cakewalk and Edirol are from Roland. I know Roland is a good company too they make keyboards and other gear.

Joe_Carr
07-19-2010, 02:12 PM
How do I add my signature that was on my SpankingVanillaIce to this account? I want to put my forums on my sig.

basite
07-19-2010, 02:34 PM
How do I add my signature that was on my SpankingVanillaIce to this account? I want to put my forums on my sig.

lookup a post from the past when you were under the name of SVI, copy the signature.

You cannot access your SVI account anymore.

Joe_Carr
07-19-2010, 02:38 PM
It not showing my sig on the post I made using SpankingVanillaIce. :(

RoyY51
07-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Btw I did last week got the Edirol MA-1EX USB monitors and I will soon get the Edirol MA-7A. I just like the MaxxBass feature since it really makes the bass go low without overdriving the woofer. If you research MaxxBass you will see what I mean. Plus if I got the MA-7A I can add a real sub if I wanted more bass since there is an sub out RCA female type on back of the amp. I think that would be the best since then I will have full range of sound. But the MaxxBass feature is really cool you know. Also these monitors have bass and treble controls and 3 inputs.

Take a look at the video on this link and it will tell you about MaxxBass.

http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=327

Basicly Cakewalk MA-7A is the current line but are the same as Edirol MA-7A.
Spanky, you've done it! No need to even look at any other speakers, these are the ones! From what I can tell, these are comparable to the wonderful systems in those cars that you can hear coming from 1/4 mile away. And we all know the sound systems in those cars ROCK! Your speakers are way better than most of the speakers owned by all the know -nothings on this forum.

You don't need our crappy hand-me-downs now...you've found the Holy Grail!

Go forth and be at peace.

Smokey
07-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Spanky, you've done it! No need to even look at any other speakers, these are the ones! From what I can tell, these are comparable to the wonderful systems in those cars that you can hear coming from 1/4 mile away. And we all know the sound systems in those cars ROCK! Your speakers are way better than most of the speakers owned by all the know -nothings on this forum.

You don't need our crappy hand-me-downs now...you've found the Holy Grail! Go forth and be at peace.

Roy, I definitely agree. With Edirol MA-1EX USB monitors having 0.75 W per ch. (that is 3 quarter of a watt) and Edirol MA-7A having 7 W per ch., he will be in holly grail and rocking till morning light. Especially with MaxxBass feature On. Wohoooo......

Joe_Carr
07-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Don't forget that I can add a real subwoofer to add more deep bass. But I have to save up for that. Then it would play from low to high clearly. But I can't buy a real high end sub though since those costs more than $500. If I had the JBL ES250PBK or the Mirage Omni-S8 sub that would be super but I can only afford something like the Sony SA-W2500 or the Yamaha YST-SW216BL or something around that range. What subs do you think are good around $150 or less?

JohnMichael
07-19-2010, 05:14 PM

You know I started to help with this issue but You have worn me out with the drama. I am sure you will figure it out.

Joe_Carr
07-19-2010, 05:35 PM
It might come to no choice but I might have to use my Spanking screen name instead of what I have now. Since everyone knows me by Spanky it might be best to use that since no one ever here calls me Joe like my screen name. I guess I had used Spanky screen name for a long long time. Btw I was not able to find a way to get my sig. I think the only way is to reactivate Spanking and then I copy and past it on my Joe one. I did also notice something but is there anyone in here that has changed there screen name to something different after few years? If not why?

Joe_Carr
07-19-2010, 05:59 PM
Do most people try to keep there old original screen names? Or do they ever update them? just wondering

Smokey
07-19-2010, 06:09 PM
If I had the JBL ES250PBK or the Mirage Omni-S8 sub that would be super but I can only afford something like the Sony SA-W2500 or the Yamaha YST-SW216BL or something around that range. What subs do you think are good around $150 or less?

Get the Sony sub, but do not get pc speakers Edirol MA-7A. Instead get a pair of decent budget bookshelf speakers (look at Athena line for $140), and two channel amp/receiver (Sherwood has one under $100) and you be all set.

Joe_Carr
07-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Well I want to match with my current my MA-1EX that's why I wanted the Edirol and then get a sub to add more lower end plus they made it easy to connect a sub to the studio monitors. If I get a whole new system then it will cost more. Also it is simple and doesn't have all of the wires out and the amp is on the right speaker. It will be easier for me to get brand new MA-7A monitors and Sony sub. Also if I feel like I don't want bass on some days I can turn the sub off and use the MaxxBass feature since I have heard of them and they sound good too. Please don't get upset about this though. I really think the Edirols are versatile and has tons of features for the price. :)

Joe_Carr
07-19-2010, 06:33 PM
I pretty much made up my mind on getting the MA-7A but just need to get a sub. I guess I will save for the Sonys.

Smokey
07-19-2010, 06:48 PM
You said...

If I get a whole new system then it will cost more.
And then you said...

It will be easier for me to get brand new MA-7A monitors and Sony sub.

With Sony sub and channeling MA-7A fund toward decent bookshelf speakers, the only extra expense you will have would be to by a receiver which cost about $100. So for $100 more over your current budget you will have whole new system.

MA-7A will not make you happy. With only 7 watts of power, all you will hear is distortion, not music. As we have said before, more power does not mean louder. It mean better quality with less distortion as even 1 watt system can get pretty loud.

Hope I am not wasting my breath :10:

RoyY51
07-19-2010, 07:13 PM
You're wasting your breath.

markw
07-19-2010, 07:31 PM
...and the beat goes on...

Smokey
07-19-2010, 08:26 PM
...and the beat goes on...

The worst thing about this whole situtation is that he seem to go backward, instead of forward in his quest for better sound. He went from Philips 20 watts to Edirol MA-1EX USB 0.75 watts speakers :D

markw
07-19-2010, 08:29 PM
The worst thing about this whole situtation is that he seem to go backward, instead of forward in his quest for better sound. His new Edirol MA-1EX USB speakers are now down to 0.75 watts per ch :DIt's been made pretty clear in the past few days that he's a special case. He's not here for advice, he's here for companionship. Obviously he doesn't do well in the real world and his only interaction with other people is here.

What he says doesn't matter. What we respond with doesn't matter. That we respond at all is what matters.

So, I guess we can look at answering him as somewhat of a public service, not unlike visiting the elderly in nursing homes/assisted living facilities where many people never see visitors. The visitors don't have to be relatives, just warm bodies to show them that someone cares by paying them some attention and interacting with them.

Smokey
07-19-2010, 08:37 PM
Didn't he have these a few years ago?

Don't know. I lost count long time and many monikers ago :22:

markw
07-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Don't know. I lost count long time and many monikers ago :22:I had second thoughts and edited the post right out from under ya.

Smokey
07-19-2010, 08:57 PM
It's been made pretty clear in the past few days that he's a special case. He's not here for advice, he's here for companionship. Obviously he doesn't do well in the real world and his only interaction with other people is here.

What he says doesn't matter. What we respond with doesn't matter. That we respond at all is what matters.

That seem to becoming more clear as this drama unfold. For example, JohnMicheal said that Spanky design his own web site (Dinasor forum). But today he was asking how can he transfer his signature from old moniker to new one (which is just matter of copy and paste). Something don't add up here :nonod:

basite
07-20-2010, 01:06 AM
I missed some things over night, so it seems...

Spanky/joe/Dallas/whatever your name might be..;

DO NOT get the edirols.

Stop
stop right now.
start saving, just a little, do what smokey told ya, get a pair of bookshelves, look at the Athena line, get a small receiver, and then save for a sub later on.

You'll be all set, and finally happy.
YOU will NOT be happy with the edirols.

GMichael
07-20-2010, 05:05 AM
If John gives up, so do I.

Joe_Carr
07-20-2010, 07:28 AM
That seem to becoming more clear as this drama unfold. For example, JohnMicheal said that Spanky design his own web site (Dinasor forum). But today he was asking how can he transfer his signature from old moniker to new one (which is just matter of copy and paste). Something don't add up here :nonod:
Yes it is matter of copy and paste but there is a problem. How can I copy something that isn't there anymore. It seems like when you are banned you can't goto you sig and copy it. There is no sig link on my profile. Also on my last post I made using Spanky I don't see my sig there under my post so I can't copy it. Please do not say I' am stupid since it seems like that's what you are saying in a different way. Maybe I' am thinking to much but it seemed that way.

Joe_Carr
07-20-2010, 07:35 AM
I' am here mostly to just inform you guys my current speaker system. If I want to know something then I will ask you guys a question. But as I said before please don't tell me to use a different product since I never asked you guys "What speakers should I use" and "What amp should I use". I only so far asked what sub should I get and you said the Sonys so that's what I will get. In the future if that is I ever get enough money and have enough to buy a new system and want to know what speakers, receiver I should get then you guys can say what you think is best. But I only asked what sub should I use and now I know. :)

I do appreciate that you guys are trying to say this is better or that is better but when I set my mind on something I want I will get it and then if I need any help I will ask. Like the sub question.

Point is please just answer the questions I' am asking and not say something I didn't ask unless it's reguarding the question.

Thanks

basite
07-20-2010, 09:40 AM
Point is please just answer the questions I' am asking and not say something I didn't ask unless it's reguarding the question.

Thanks

that's the problem.

like with these "80watt" philips "speakers", you asked something about the power rating, we gave you multiple, clear, understandable and VERY complete answers.

And then you simply ignored those answers because you weren't happy about their content.

that's what we've been telling you all those years, if you want to learn, you have to listen.
and you asked us more than once which speaker was better, and you told us more than enough, that you wanted better. We gave you some options, we gave you advice that could really have helped you, we gave you specific routes, future plans, ...

But again, you simply ignored that too, and went with "another set of pc speakers".
and after you got that new "glorious" set of waste, you went on raving again about how glorious they were, and how much better they are then the previous speakers, just because they were new. and then, a couple days later, you again decided that you didn't like them as much as on the first day, and again, you asked us, we answered, you ignored.

That's your problem.

You ignore our answers, simply because you don't like them. in your head, you just wished us to say "yes, those philips' speakers put out 80 watts, and probably even more in peak power, and yes, they sound amazing and put out amazing bass, and more bass, and even more bass, and the highs from their unobtainable kryptonite tweeters are so very crisp"

but we don't, we tell you facts, we tell you our opinion, and we tell you the truth.

cheers,
Bert.

Joe_Carr
07-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Heres a pic of my speakers on my desktop PC and one that is underneath is a amp.

As you see of cource on the box it says 80W doesn't that mean 80 watts? The last pic is the box.

GMichael
07-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Isn't this where we started?

Joe_Carr
07-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Well I just wanted to show you that I wasn't lieing and it really said on the box that it's 80W. Shouldn't it be saying 40W instead?

GMichael
07-20-2010, 11:14 AM
It should say 20.

markw
07-20-2010, 11:43 AM
As you see of cource[sic] on the box it says 80W doesn't that mean 80 watts?Click here (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=34488) for the answer to this question.

Joe_Carr
07-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Just wondering but there is a speaker system from Philips and the model is SPA9300. Now they say they are 100W since it has a 8in 6 layer subwoofer and basicly the two main speakers are like mine just without the passive bass speaker. I would assume since 8in sub is big for computer speakers it can go total of 100W with the two main speakers.

basite
07-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Just wondering but there is a speaker system from Philips and the model is SPA9300. Now they say they are 100W since it has a 8in 6 layer subwoofer and basicly the two main speakers are like mine just without the passive bass speaker. I would assume since 8in sub is big for computer speakers it can go total of 100W with the two main speakers.

don't get them.

they're another PC speaker.

keep what you have, save, get something decent.

and I have a 10" sub for my pc system btw, and 175watts of power for the sub alone, In reality, though, it'll never ever put out 175 watts, I'm pretty sure of that...

RoyY51
07-20-2010, 02:55 PM
I' am here mostly to just inform you guys my current speaker system. If I want to know something then I will ask you guys a question. But as I said before please don't tell me to use a different product since I never asked you guys "What speakers should I use" and "What amp should I use". I only so far asked what sub should I get and you said the Sonys so that's what I will get. In the future if that is I ever get enough money and have enough to buy a new system and want to know what speakers, receiver I should get then you guys can say what you think is best. But I only asked what sub should I use and now I know. :)

I do appreciate that you guys are trying to say this is better or that is better but when I set my mind on something I want I will get it and then if I need any help I will ask. Like the sub question.

Thanks
Well, I guess that puts us in our place! How dare we offer advice without being specifically asked for it?

I'm done.

Joe_Carr
07-20-2010, 03:55 PM
I was supprised about this but another forums I joined just got banned since I had couple of screen names. I really didnt know it was that bad to do this. But problem is that I think most just bans all of them so I can't even explain what I did and say I am sorry unless I make a new account again right? I made these accounts last year and until now maybe no one noticed. Why dont they just leave one open so I can talk to the admin.

Joe_Carr
07-20-2010, 04:00 PM
I guess still need to learn about forums.

JohnMichael
07-20-2010, 04:47 PM
I was supprised about this but another forums I joined just got banned since I had couple of screen names. I really didnt know it was that bad to do this. But problem is that I think most just bans all of them so I can't even explain what I did and say I am sorry unless I make a new account again right? I made these accounts last year and until now maybe no one noticed. Why dont they just leave one open so I can talk to the admin.

Not all have a soft spot like me and the other mods at AR. We try not to be rigid. I only like to ban spammers.

basite
07-21-2010, 12:25 AM

most of the times, a person with multiple screennames on the same forum, is usually a spammer or spambot. You don't want such people, so most forums ban them before they can even "launch their attack".

so no, you get no time to explain things...
here on AR, however, we have JM. And JM actually cares about all "his" members, so thank him for still being able to post here.

nick12345
07-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Hello, my name is Nick. Some AKers would know me from there. Anyway, I found myself reading this and created an account to say:

Spanky/Joe/Dustin, what you are doing is THROWING AWAY YOUR MONEY. You continue to buy MORE COMPUTER SPEAKERS with ZERO increase in sound quality. You are not upgrading your listening experience. So STOP RIGHT NOW, and DO NOT buy another pair of computer speakers. SAVE YOUR MONEY. When you have enough for a stereo receiver, BUY IT. They're not expensive anymore. Then, SAVE MORE MONEY. I promise, if you don't blow it on computer speakers, it will accumulate quickly. Then buy a DECENT set of speakers that are NOT MADE OF PLASTIC. To top it all off, buy an inexpensive cable to connect the receiver to your computer. That will work fine as an audio source. So go ahead and buy that Sony subwoofer if you wish, but NO COMPUTER SPEAKERS. You WILL have a much better experience if you save up for a decent system. I hooked up my friend with a vintage system to replace his Sony Muteki stereo (which, by the way, will run circles around your computer speakers) by selling him my surplus components for the price I paid for them. He spent only $65 and has a Pioneer integrated amp, Yamaha speakers, an Akai tuner and JVC CD player. It took very little convincing to make him do this. He thought the Sony was a quality audio system. I said, "If you were to say that among those seriously into audio, you would be laughed at." That's about all it took. We took that system out to his barn once for a party, plugged in a laptop, and it was FANTASTIC. You don't get that with computer speakers. Now he uses the Muteki as computer speakers, and it works great for that.

I'm trying not to sound mean or angry, but you REALLY need to listen. I and everyone else on here SPEAK THE TRUTH. You just need to realize this. Don't spend your life buying a new set of computer speakers every few weeks. GET THE REAL DEAL. You will NEVER REGRET IT.

If this doesn't work, I give up too.