Calling all PT heads... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Calling all PT heads...

Mr MidFi
06-21-2010, 01:56 PM
As a Porky Tree fan, I was excited to see this was coming out in Blu-Ray / DVD combo pack:

http://www.amazon.com/Anesthetize-DVD-Blu-ray/dp/B003F0NFHM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1277157084&sr=1-1

But I was bummed to see it's sold out before it's even been released. Maybe I'll just have to be patient. Or buy on Ebay.

Anyone heard/seen the DVD-only version, which dropped last week? If so, you likey?

3LB
06-22-2010, 07:36 AM
There's a big thread over at PE about the blue-ray...those are prolly the dudes to talk to, since a bunch of them bought it.

ForeverAutumn
06-22-2010, 08:37 AM
You might want to see if any of the independent prog distributors (Laser's Edge, Greg Walker) have it. I agree with 3LB that Progressive Ears would definately be the place to go for more info.

poppachubby
06-22-2010, 08:42 AM
Progressive Ears

Finally!! That's what it stands for!

ForeverAutumn
06-22-2010, 08:55 AM
:lol: All you had to do was ask.

Mr MidFi
06-22-2010, 11:27 AM
:lol: All you had to do was ask.

I'm glad you volunteered the information before I had to ask. And thanks to 3LB for mentioning it in the first place!

ForeverAutumn
06-22-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm glad you volunteered the information before I had to ask. And thanks to 3LB for mentioning it in the first place!

Check your PMs. I just sent you some info. I hope it helps. :)

Mr MidFi
06-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Check your PMs. I just sent you some info. I hope it helps. :)

You are such a sweetie. Thanks!

Mr MidFi
06-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Epilogue:
I contacted someone in-the-know, recommended to me by a certain Canadienne. The guy got back to me right away, and the news isn't good. The BR/DVD combo is out-of-print.

Looks like it's regular ol' DVD for me.

ForeverAutumn
06-22-2010, 12:29 PM
You are such a sweetie. Thanks!

Anything for my birthday buddy. ;)

ForeverAutumn
06-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Epilogue:
I contacted someone in-the-know, recommended to me by a certain Canadienne. The guy got back to me right away, and the news isn't good. The BR/DVD combo is out-of-print.

Looks like it's regular ol' DVD for me.

Seriously? But he said that the BD release was delayed until June 29. What did they do, print 50 of 'em?!

Oh well, at least now you know.

ForeverAutumn
06-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Try here...directly from the PT website. http://www.burningshed.com/store/porcupinetree/collection/169/remove/2220/

It looks like they have it in stock...although you may find out differently once you place your order.

It's 14.99 pounds. I don't know what that equals in USD or what they charge for shipping, so it might still be the DVD for you.

ForeverAutumn
06-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Also, try Amazon.ca (http://www.amazon.ca/Anesthetize-Blu-Ray-Widescreen-Porcupine-Tree/dp/B003F0NFHM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1277245974&sr=8-1)and have it shipped from beautiful Canada. So far it's showing that you can pre-order it with a release date of June 29, 2010.

It looks like it was released in the UK yesterday.

kexodusc
07-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Holy crap this BluRay sounds f'n amazing. DTS-HD Master track on this is pretty good...not perfect but way better than the last PT DVD I bought. Mr. Wilson and co. seem to embrace technology and various media formats, and they seem to do it about as good as anyone.

Lots on the shelf in the local HMV store... If BluRay concerts all sound like this I will buy many more.

MindGoneHaywire
07-31-2010, 09:13 PM
The Special Edition was released either in Grey (4,000) or Red (1,000). The website says the content is exactly the same, but I thought I remembered seeing that the grey was around $150 & the Red was something like 3x that price? Anyone know about this?

ForeverAutumn
08-01-2010, 04:53 AM
The Special Edition was released either in Grey (4,000) or Red (1,000). The website says the content is exactly the same, but I thought I remembered seeing that the grey was around $150 & the Red was something like 3x that price? Anyone know about this?

That sounds about right. I don't remember the actual prices, just that they were insanely expensive and that the red edition sold out in pre-sales.

Although they don't have the mainstream recognition, I think that the marketing minds behind PT (Steve Wilson or someone else?) are right up there with Gene Simmons for rock&roll marketing genius. I don't know another band who has so many limited editions and remasters...and they all sell out. They have built a reputation for good music and great quality.

If Steve Wilson's name is involved in a recording, you can be pretty confident that, even if you don't like the music, you're going to get a quality sounding product.

Having said that, PT fans are crazy. Red and Grey covers. Seriously. :rolleyes:

kexodusc
08-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Geez, $450 for Porcupine Tree BluRay? I thought I was a big PT fan, but I can see a lot of live music for that scratch...I don't think I love any band that much :(

Since PT generated almost $1 million in revenue for those special editions, maybe next BluRay SW will be able to afford some shoes to hide those gnarly toes.

Javier
08-10-2010, 03:31 PM
I was lucky then i got my copy from barnes and noble just over the shelf

Finch Platte
08-11-2010, 08:30 AM
Our local record shoppe has a BR version, if anyone's desperate, I could get it & ship it to them.

Javier
08-11-2010, 02:28 PM

J you suprise me showing interest in prog