New trading idea? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New trading idea?

jasn
04-05-2004, 01:39 PM
In trading some Comps and a few other CDs through this site, I've had the opportunity to obtain new material. But try as I can I don't feel as satisified with these new titles. One reason is the ethicallity (a real word?) of it. I think I can deal with this part, as I've been bad a lot worse ways than that. The other, more important reason is that I am still old fashion and like to have the original case and inserts sitting there on my shelf alongside all the other CDs I own. I guess its from my old vinyl days, but it still matters to me.

Also, being a loyal CD buyer from the early days, where I was scrounging around little shops in Harvard Square almost 20 years ago just dying to find a real Rock CD (not that I didn't like Ry Cooder or Donald F-agen, I just wanted more from my speakers) I look through my collection and find many old, original issue titles that in some cases have since gone through multiple remasterings. And to be honest, I know those improved, new releases are out there on store shelves, so I feel small and inferior and don't listen to my original purchases that much anymore. (Are you starting to see where I'm going with this?). Does anybody else feel the same way about their older selections?

So, what would you think of trading copies of remasters? The trade would provide the big, new sound and leave the owner with the (nearly identical) packaging and perhaps a little less guilt. It's not really as bad as outright copying, because you've already paid for the artists work once, right? Probably even nm more than once, as this relates mostly to older catalog originally issued on vinyl.

Whats everybody else think? Kinda naughty, huh? I also think any actual transactions would be better handled through the privacy of PM or even direct emailing.

Let's discuss?

Dusty Chalk
04-05-2004, 07:53 PM
Yeah -- it's especialy a screw-job when the remasters are expensive -- such as the Japanese Yes HDCD's or any of the MFSL line.

Morally, I don't have a problem with it -- but legally, yeah, I think it's still illegal.

Probably not the sort of thing we should admit to publicly.

newtrix1
04-06-2004, 07:59 AM
Hehe, probably not an exageration either. Now that I have a hi-res audio player, I'm back to deciding whether to purchase some old classics yet again. It is very frustrating, especially (like Dusty said), given the fact that the price tag is higher each time.

I have no moral qualms about trading things like OOP material or stuf I've gotten from the library. Newer artists though, I tend to shy away from, except to "test drive" a copy. If a cdr of a new cd/artist happens to fall into my lap ;), and I like the album, I'll go out and buy the "real thing".

jasn
04-06-2004, 11:42 AM
Yeah, I suppose it's "not quite right". I'd been thinking about this for awhile though, and was hoping everyone would jump up and say "Brilliant!", then we'd all start whipping remasters around to one another.

I hate feeling the need to buy remastered material though.....

Dave_G
04-06-2004, 12:15 PM
A copy is a copy is a copy and they are different from aluminimum and gold cd's, so there.

I personally have never copied a cd.

Dave

Mike
04-13-2004, 08:13 AM
Yeah, I suppose it's "not quite right". I'd been thinking about this for awhile though, and was hoping everyone would jump up and say "Brilliant!", then we'd all start whipping remasters around to one another.

I hate feeling the need to buy remastered material though.....

I'll say brilliant if nobody else will, it seems like we've all pumped enough dosh into the record companys coffers over the years. I've bought plenty of remasters recently luckily I 'lost' the originals so I don't feel too bad and 99% of them outshine the originals by a mile. I've sent you a PM.

Cheers
Mike

jasn
04-13-2004, 09:29 AM
Mike writes:
"I've sent you a PM."
Mike, Mike, Mike...it can't be a secret transaction if you go on about it at the site. :p

Thanks for "seeing it" though, and I will respond to your PM shortly.