The National - High Violet | CD vs. Vinyl [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The National - High Violet | CD vs. Vinyl

atomicAdam
06-20-2010, 08:22 PM
So had an interesting experience with The National High Violet album.

A friend of mine got it on vinyl and brought it over to listen to on my system. Which is of course NOT an amazing turntable system, but it seems to hold it's own in the world of vinyl.

The fist thing I noticed when I pulled the vinyl out of the sleeve was how damn thick it was. I mean really thick. Way thicker than the "180g" pressing vinyls I have. In fact, you could probably use it to flatten other thinner warped vinyls it was so damn thick. So, i knew, being this way, it would throw the angle of the stylus off and might sound...well...not up to par. And WOW was I right. Talk about a muted let down.

So later that day when I was near Rhino Records I stopped in to get the same album on CD. Now I've done the CD vs. Vinyl test at home before with mixed results, but generally I tend to like the vinyl version better for the wider soundstage and fuller sound. For instance, My Bloody Valentine Loveless on vinyl sounds a lot better than the CD. But, conversely, my Dark Side of the Moon vinyl tends to sound a bit worse than the CD. (though as a side note I haven't tried that w/ the Electrocompaniet PSB-1 bookshelf speakers and PC-2 amplifier yet...and I think it might sound better than it did w/ the Monitor Audio RS6 and JRDG102s combo because when I played another vinyl yesterday that tended to have too much sibilance on one song with the RS6/JRDG combo, it was way more under control with the Electrocompaniet set up...by I digress) Anyways....

I put on the CD and it was was like lifting the burka off the album. I could hear the poor engineering, or artistic engineering I suppose one could say if they are being art house. But it is def a time where the CD outshines the vinyl in my system.

So, umm...the point would be... well... I guess get the CD if your stylus isn't set up to play super thick vinyl.

02audionoob
06-20-2010, 08:44 PM
I think the extra-thick vinyl is turning out to be a flawed concept. I'm not so sure the optimum isn't considerably less than 180 grams, based on my own limited experience...which does include adjusting the height of the tonearm.

The angle of the stylus at this small of a change isn't a deal-breaker. I can sometimes hear a difference that small and sometimes not. However, there's something more lively about the thinner records that I like...to a point.

atomicAdam
06-21-2010, 07:26 AM
I think the extra-thick vinyl is turning out to be a flawed concept. I'm not so sure the optimum isn't considerably less than 180 grams, based on my own limited experience...which does include adjusting the height of the tonearm.

The angle of the stylus at this small of a change isn't a deal-breaker. I can sometimes hear a difference that small and sometimes not. However, there's something more lively about the thinner records that I like...to a point.

I'm not so sure I'd go w/ the 180g being a flawed concept. More than that, probably. But I find on my system that 180g pressing typically sounds just fine. Plus, from what I understand, over time it will last longer.

I have a fair amount of thinner pressings and they do sound 'more lively' if you mean the highs tend to be more dominate. Not irritating or tinny mind you, just more present.

3LB
06-21-2010, 10:52 AM
I wouldn't say 180g vinyl is a flawed concept as long as the quality of vinyl is also a main consideration. But as has already been pointed out, thinner vinyl easily warps.

02audionoob
06-21-2010, 04:08 PM
I'm not so sure I'd go w/ the 180g being a flawed concept. More than that, probably. But I find on my system that 180g pressing typically sounds just fine. Plus, from what I understand, over time it will last longer.

I have a fair amount of thinner pressings and they do sound 'more lively' if you mean the highs tend to be more dominate. Not irritating or tinny mind you, just more present.

If your opinion of your 180g records is only that they sound just fine, then I'd say my position stands. 180g records are marketed as an upgrade with a cost premium. Just fine doesn't seem like an upgrade to me.