Turntable Tweak. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Turntable Tweak.

frenchmon
06-19-2010, 12:18 PM
PoppaC, Jack, Enochrome, noob, JRA,

I remembered last year I read some place that lifting gear like CDP's and turntables up to about 2 inches with only feet support, will give greater detail to your music. So not having a table back then I did it with my SACDP and CDP and it worked. IF you look at the pictures of my gear in noobs thread, "The MMF-5 is back in action" you will see the simple tweak.

So last night I thought I would do the same with the MMF 2.1

I put support under each feet of the 2.1 lifting the plinth up about 2 inches off of the platform it was resting on which was my SACDP. Cymbals are more crisp...drums and bass is more profound...rhythm is more up front. This tweak seems to give more air and separation to the music. This is one tweak that seems to work for me. I've read about others doing it to their amps and preamps and speakers. I've only done the items I have listed abovr. So if you think I'm nuts...try it and see. Put support under the feet of your table and take a listen. Then take support away and then listen, and continue doing this a few times and see if things sound different. After wards tell if you think I am still loony... The missus thinks I am loony, but not the fellas...I hope.

Cheers.

poppachubby
06-19-2010, 12:38 PM
I've long used DIY feet. If you want a effective and affordable product Frenchie, look into Vibrapods/Vibracones.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=32009

frenchmon
06-19-2010, 01:01 PM
I've long used DIY feet. If you want a effective and affordable product Frenchie, look into Vibrapods/Vibracones.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=32009

Yeah I've thought about the Vibrapods...almost got some. The company is right here in St.louis/St. Charles area where I live.

So what do you think? Do you hear a difference when you raise it up?

poppachubby
06-19-2010, 01:58 PM
Of course, it goes without saying. No other component will benefit more than a TT, not even a CDP. It minimizes vibrations and allows your cart to perform. I bet you are still only at 70% of what that cart can do, if you aren't isolated fully.

02audionoob
06-19-2010, 05:45 PM
Obviously, you've seen my turntable support. I also use the racquetballs under my DAC and phono preamp. I use Vibrapods under my CD player. I've been happy with all those tweaks.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4027/4391888069_486666d83b_o.jpg

jrhymeammo
06-19-2010, 06:32 PM
As you've found out, isolation and support is one of the most rewarding tweaks for analog.

I use Composite Products CF-2010 for my TT, and IsoKINETIK B-1 for my CDP and Phono Pre and I'm quite happy with the result..... for now :)

JRA

emaidel
06-20-2010, 03:05 AM
I use Vibrapods and Vibracones under almost all my components. I purchased them initially to get rid of acoustic feedback from my turntable, but they made such a noticeable sonic improvement as well, that I tried them out under my SACD player and preamp to see if they did anything there. And, indeed they did! At $6 per "pod," and $8 per "cone," they're one of the best deals in this business too.

Enochrome
06-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Great thread: I have been curious about this topic. I asked the guys at Brooks Berdan one time about dampening my plinth (spelling?) of my Luxman. He said it didn't need it, but more importanty, isolate the TT. He suggested making an affordable sand box with MDF: that would make the biggest difference. He said the feet were not that good on the Luxman.

How does the racquet ball tweak work? Just get any old racquetball? How do you stabilize it well?

I've been meaning to get those vibrapods.

Good thread. Love the science of the TT.

02audionoob
06-20-2010, 09:22 AM
Yes...they're just any old racquetballs I picked up at sporting goods chain store. I cut them down the seam with an X-acto knife. That's all there is to it. They're stable as is.

Enochrome
06-21-2010, 09:59 PM
I just did what you said. It was that easy. On my Luxman, I could hear better the upper register with more articulation; the bass seemed tighter and richer, and instrumentation seemed to have a good separation. Overall, their was less of a "blooming effect". This may be all psychological, but that is what I noticed.

The tweak had very little affect on my Dual 505-3, which it might be due to the fact that it is already suspended.

I'll post pics soon, it is too dark now.

02audionoob
06-22-2010, 04:23 AM
I for one don't doubt that what you heard was real. Changing the support of the turntable would seem to me to change the frequency at which the whole turntable might tend to resonate. For better or for worse, it seems like it would sound different.

poppachubby
06-22-2010, 05:22 AM
I've had minimal benefit with amp/preamps, in terms of improved audible results. That said, microphonics is a HUGE problem and tube gear should always be isolated from vibrations.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1126/4724435690_efd3272b16_b.jpg

I hope you guys checked out that link I posted here. The carpet underlay really works wonders. On a suspended table I would recommend placement against the spindle and also against the motor.

Here are my DIY feet for the SE40...

frenchmon
06-22-2010, 09:46 AM
I just did what you said. It was that easy. On my Luxman, I could hear better the upper register with more articulation; the bass seemed tighter and richer, and instrumentation seemed to have a good separation. Overall, their was less of a "blooming effect". This may be all psychological, but that is what I noticed.

The tweak had very little affect on my Dual 505-3, which it might be due to the fact that it is already suspended.

I'll post pics soon, it is too dark now.

Enochrome...what I did was put support under each feet only... lifting it up off of the platform it was resting on. Between the platform and the bottom of the turntable is 2 inches of nothing but space. The sound coming from my speakers has improved greatly for my table. The treble is more crisp...and seems to have more air. And the bass is tighter and more defined. The mids are more profound. Its just wonderful....so I know it has to be in both our heads...lol!;)