Playing music from computer through stereo [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Playing music from computer through stereo

williebr
06-17-2010, 09:10 PM
How much does the sound card in a computer affect the sound if played through a stereo amplifier? I'd like to play the music I have stored on iTunes (or perhaps listen to pandora.com) on my laptop through my home theater AV receiver. I'd connect a cable from the laptop headphone jack to the AUX input in my receiver. Will the quality of the sound card make a difference?

I'm using a Toshiba with integrated Harmon Kardon speakers so I expect the sound card is a bit above minimum quality but I don't expect much since its about 5 years old.

To add some complexity, I'd actually like to play itunes from my laptop through my home theater AV receiver to my recently refoamed Bose 901 Series III speakers. As my AV receiver does not have a Tape Monitor switch, I'd connect my laptop headphone jack to the Bose equalizer which is then connected to the AUX jack. I expect I will need a fairly high quality source for the Bose speakers so I fear the laptop may not be doable. Suggestions?

Btw, I just finished putting my two sons through college so I'm definitely on a low budget. $50 for the Bose refoaming kit is the kind of investment I can handle now (as opposed to 30 years ago when I was single and could buy the Bose). So go easy on recommending major investments. Thanks!

Hyfi
06-18-2010, 04:36 AM
I won't comment on the sound card but I do what you are asking by using a mini-to rca connector from headphone jack on pc and send the ICs from the connector to an input on the receiver.

http://www.lsaudiotech.co.uk/ekmps/shops/lihousounds/images/2_phono_to_mini_sj.jpg

recoveryone
06-18-2010, 02:18 PM
I know the feeling on the low funds, I have my third child heading off this fall for college. But a squeeze box setup is what you really need or something along that line. From what you have posted I will assume you have wifi in the house and that makes a setup like this a real treat. If you search ebay hard you can still get an original squeeze box 3 for around $150 or less. I think Logic tech stop selling that model and went on with newer versions and designs. The software is free to d/l and it has top notch connection to your AVR (toslink, RCA L/R and coax) and has a RJ45 jack if you want it hard wire or use it as a bridge for other units that need a hard wire connection to your network (blu ray players). I tell you this type of setup will give unlimited hours of relax music enjoyment.

williebr
06-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Thanks. I was able to use a mini to RCA converter and I'll check out the squeezebox.

recoveryone
07-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks. I was able to use a mini to RCA converter and I'll check out the squeezebox.

Just picked up another (my 3rd) squeeze box off ebay for $140. it will go into my daughters room when she leaves for collage this fall. We are turning her room into a game room/study.

Im case I did not mention early, the squeeze box allows for internet apps to run and provide even more music content:

Last FM
Live Music archive
Live 365
MP3 tune music locker
Napster
Pandora
Podcast Player
Radio Time
Radioio
Rhapsody
Shout cast
Sirius radio