Onkyo A-8190 amp is on the fritz [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Onkyo A-8190 amp is on the fritz

Dano59
06-16-2010, 11:16 PM
I've had this amp since 1991. First the left channel goes. Take it in to repair. Come back right channel goes. Take it back to get repaired. NOW the Servo-controller goes. I've used the same equipment for years. Cervin Vega VS 120, KlH speakers 0-300 watts, a Kenwood equalizer to bring out the nuances compared to just using cd direct. Phillips unlimited Joules GFCI, and a Audio Technica phono. I've added all new patch cables. I bought some new Monster wire that I never saw in Monster Wire, a mono-filament line. Looks like a fishing line. I assume it's some kind of ground. Bought in 9/2009. Where does the mono-filament line go. I always wrap it around the copper in the wire into the four speaker posts. Does anybody have any suggestions! I don't care about Hi-def, but can't find any that have more than 2 speaker posts. My speakers serve me fine, but after 4 times in the shop in the last 11/2 weeks I'm at my wits end. I know I'm hooking up everything up right. Does the mono-filament in the speaker wires go into the speaker posts or just dangle as in a sort of ground.

HELP,
Dano59

markw
06-17-2010, 02:50 AM
I have no idea what you're talking about but if all your problems started after you got that monster cable mystrey stuff, you might want to stop using it.

...and you might want to either start looking at new amps, a new tech, or both.

TheHills44060
06-17-2010, 04:09 AM
A friend of mine had 12ga monster speaker cable that used braided copper wire in a clear jacket but there was also a small clear mono-filament wire as well. If we're talking about the same thing it basically served no purpose. I think Monster described it as some sort of teflon tube baloney so i wouldn't worry about it, you do not need to hook it up anywhere. Either wrap it around the copper wire or just snip it off.