SS vs Tube? Are wires worth it? Check out TAS [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : SS vs Tube? Are wires worth it? Check out TAS

topspeed
04-05-2004, 11:38 AM
There are many debates in audio that always spark somewhat passionate responses yet the two that always seem to come to the forefront are the tube vs solid state argument followed closely by the value of esoteric wires. The latest TAS looked into both with a rather lively round table discussion among the editors regarding tube and ss amps and how to quantify the differences in sound. There were both tube and ss proponents and the arguments made by both were really very interesting (I'm not getting into it here so just pick it up, it's a good read).

Later, there is the second part of a cable shoot-out that included everything from Nordost to Home Depot. Using reference systems, it was interesting that the editors admitted that finding differences in the cables required an inordinate amount of focus, much more than one would use in normal or even critical listening, and they would be hard pressed to name the cables on blind testing if they had not already pinpointed specific characteristics. The HD cable btw, did very well and was cited as the reference cable used by two very notable recording engineers. In summation, they pointed out that the cable shoot-out proved, more then anything, how the vast majority of your $ should be spent on speakers and source equip. as they will make a far larger audible difference.

Good stuff and one of the better issues I've read in awhile. Check it out.

bturk667
04-05-2004, 12:14 PM
Just bought the new TAS today. I have not started to read yet. It looks like a good issue; should make for an interesting read. Did you happen to read the Interconnect shoot-out. I am going back about a year or so. It was the same two reviewers. They seemed to have no problem indentify the improvements that the interconnects made to either of their systems. In the end the Kimber Hero was voted the best followed by the Nordost Blue Heaven.

topspeed
04-05-2004, 12:46 PM
Just bought the new TAS today. I have not started to read yet. It looks like a good issue; should make for an interesting read. Did you happen to read the Interconnect shoot-out. I am going back about a year or so. It was the same two reviewers. They seemed to have no problem indentify the improvements that the interconnects made to either of their systems. In the end the Kimber Hero was voted the best followed by the Nordost Blue Heaven.

I don't recall that article, although they make reference to it in this one. I won't give away who they prefer in this one but I think you'll be surprised.

Enjoy the issue.

Woochifer
04-05-2004, 01:17 PM
Good to know that the new issue's out, I'll have to pick it up tonight.

Whether or not cables make a difference is inconsequential to me, because whatever the outcome of the debate I just can't pick up on big enough differences to justify the big bucks that they often demand. I mean, to me given a choice between a $1,800 interconnect versus an equivalent investment in room treatments, it's a no brainer as to which one will give the bigger improvement in overall system performance.

Lately, I've been gravitating more towards TAS because it seems that they're focusing more on common sense products for the money rather than all the subjectivist minutae that bogs down a lot of other audiophile publications. It also seems that they've been doing some interesting comparisons by letting the most fervent advocates make their case (i.e. DVD-A vs. SACD).

bturk667
04-05-2004, 05:06 PM
I doubt it. After all it is subjective, is it not?

mtrycraft
04-05-2004, 08:17 PM
There are many debates in audio that always spark somewhat passionate responses yet the two that always seem to come to the forefront are the tube vs solid state argument followed closely by the value of esoteric wires. The latest TAS looked into both with a rather lively round table discussion among the editors regarding tube and ss amps and how to quantify the differences in sound. There were both tube and ss proponents and the arguments made by both were really very interesting (I'm not getting into it here so just pick it up, it's a good read).

Later, there is the second part of a cable shoot-out that included everything from Nordost to Home Depot. Using reference systems, it was interesting that the editors admitted that finding differences in the cables required an inordinate amount of focus, much more than one would use in normal or even critical listening, and they would be hard pressed to name the cables on blind testing if they had not already pinpointed specific characteristics. The HD cable btw, did very well and was cited as the reference cable used by two very notable recording engineers. In summation, they pointed out that the cable shoot-out proved, more then anything, how the vast majority of your $ should be spent on speakers and source equip. as they will make a far larger audible difference.

I may have to go and at least check it out at the store :)
It would have been really interesting to do a DBT listeing on the cables AFTER they have identified those specific characteristics. That is a no brainer too :) a null outcome. It is just not there, no matter how hard they wax the words.
But I am happy that HD cables are preferred by some recording engineers.:) that should make a few audiophiles fume :D

paul_pci
04-05-2004, 11:29 PM

Yeah, I was actually flipping through the issue today; didn't feel like plunking down 7 bucks for it. I skimmed to the end of the speaker wire shootout to see if, as I expected, the most expensive would be the hands down winner, but I didn't quite pick up that vibe. Gee, I'd hate to have to part with those 7 dollars for a more careful read; after all I'm trying to save up for this great speaker wire that's only $3000/mm.

markw
04-06-2004, 04:39 AM
Yeah, I was actually flipping through the issue today; didn't feel like plunking down 7 bucks for it. .... Gee, I'd hate to have to part with those 7 dollars for a more careful read;...

That's what Barnes & Noble and Borders Books are for. You don't even have to buy coffee but I usually do.

mtrycraft
04-06-2004, 03:38 PM
after all I'm trying to save up for this great speaker wire that's only $3000/mm.

Yep, you'd better save. Stop eating, going out having fun, everything :D

DMK
04-06-2004, 04:29 PM
I may have to go and at least check it out at the store :)
It would have been really interesting to do a DBT listeing on the cables AFTER they have identified those specific characteristics. That is a no brainer too :) a null outcome. It is just not there, no matter how hard they wax the words.
But I am happy that HD cables are preferred by some recording engineers.:) that should make a few audiophiles fume :D

Yeah, it makes me fume! HD was one of my customers for years and they literally owned my ass! The margins on the products we sold were miniscule after all their rules about palletizing, deductions from invoice, returns, etc. They made my life hell! Therefore, nothing they make is any good!

P.S. Is my bias showing???? :)

mtrycraft
04-06-2004, 04:43 PM
P.S. Is my bias showing???? :)

Let me see. We need a DBT :D

DMK
04-06-2004, 04:48 PM
Let me see. We need a DBT :D

That's your answer for EVERYTHING!!!!! Sheesh! :)