So now that the decade is nearly over... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So now that the decade is nearly over...

bobsticks
06-16-2010, 02:34 PM
...I ask thee hipsters, audiophiles, nuts, cooks, mavens and Finch...what was your favorite year of the 2000's? I've seen threads in quest of the best albums of any given year, threads relating to the overall output of the decade in its entirety, but nothing about one year besting the rest...

Everyone can play...jazz rereleases and remixes count, classical performances count, and, of course, any conglameration of our fave jingle-jangley alt/rock/country whatever...it's all good.

I was leaning toward 2004...and on any given day might lean that way...the RCA Living Stereo SACDs, Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane SACD re-issue...lotta good stuff...

...OTOH, 2007 was just too damn schweet with a Shin's album, Icky Thump, Sterling Harrison and some nice output from EMI's classical wing. Good stuff and an exciting time to be involved...

What about you?

Swish
06-16-2010, 02:43 PM
...I ask thee hipsters, audiophiles, nuts, cooks, mavens and Finch...what was your favorite year of the 2000's? I've seen threads in quest of the best albums of any given year, threads relating to the overall output of the decade in its entirety, but nothing about one year besting the rest...

Everyone can play...jazz rereleases and remixes count, classical performances count, and, of course, any conglameration of our fave jingle-jangley alt/rock/country whatever...it's all good.

I was leaning toward 2004...and on any given day might lean that way...the RCA Living Stereo SACDs, Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane SACD re-issue...lotta good stuff...

...OTOH, 2007 was just too damn schweet with a Shin's album, Icky Thump, Sterling Harrison and some nice output from EMI's classical wing. Good stuff and an exciting time to be involved...

What about you?

...to 2009? I'm just saying. :rolleyes5:

bobsticks
06-16-2010, 02:44 PM
I'm one of those pedantic jackasses that realizes we didn't start at year zero...plus the question wasn't evah asked on these here boreds...

Slosh
06-16-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm one of those pedantic jackasses that realizes we didn't start at year zero...plus the question wasn't evah asked on these here boreds...
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=31412&highlight=The+aughts

bobsticks
06-16-2010, 03:05 PM
Sigh...okay dammit...look, I was bored and it's d-e-a-d 'round these parts...and I still contend that nobody broke it down by any particular year's output in sum...

Mr MidFi
06-17-2010, 08:17 AM
It's a valid question. Off the top of my head, I'd say 2000.

Kid A, Ancient Melodies, Summerteeth, Lightbulb Sun, Stories from the City, 13 Tales... plus some important releases from indie faves like Modest Mouse, Godspeed..., Laika, Grandaddy and YLT.

A real good year by anyone's estimation.

ForeverAutumn
06-17-2010, 08:33 AM
OMG, I can't remember the CDs that I bought last month and you expect me to remember what I bought in a given year from the last 10??

Uh uh. Can't be done.

3LB
06-17-2010, 09:40 AM
I'm going with '09

MasterCylinder
06-17-2010, 10:00 AM

In Absentia
Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence

ForeverAutumn
06-17-2010, 12:30 PM

In Absentia

Oooooh! That's a good one.

bobsticks
06-17-2010, 12:55 PM

In Absentia

Plus Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and Veni Vidi Vicious...oy!

Slosh
06-17-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm going with 2001.

Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire - The Swimming Hour
The Appleseed Cast - Low Level Owl
Built To Spill - Ancient Melodies of the Future
Califone - Roomsound
Constantines - s/t
Death Cab for Cutie - The Photo Album
The Dismemberment Plan - Change
Drive-By Truckers - Southern Rock Opera
Elbow - Asleep in the Back
Frodus - And We Washed Our Weapons In The Sea
Fruit Bats - Echolocation
Grandaddy - Through a Frosty Plate Glass EP
Jim O'Rourke - Insignificance
John Vanderslice - Time Travel Is Lonely
Les Savy Fav - Go Forth
Low - Things We Lost in the Fire
Lucinda Williams - Essence
Mercury Rev - All Is Dream
Modest Mouse - Sad Sappy Sucker
Neutral Milk Hotel - Everything Is EP
Now It's Overhead - s/t
Old 97s - Satellite Rides
Patterson Hood - Killers and Stars
Pinback - Blue Screen Life
Quasi - The Sword of God
Radiohead - Amnesiac
The Shins - Oh, Inverted World
Silver Jews - Bright Flight
Sixteen Horsepower - Hoarse
Sparklehorse - It's A Wonderful Life
Spoon - Girls Can Tell
Stephen Malkmus - s/t
Super Furry Animals - Rings Around the World
Ted Leo/Pharmacists - The Tyranny of Distance
The White Stripes - White Blood Cells

Pretty, pretty good.

bobsticks
06-17-2010, 01:32 PM
That's some fairly convincing evidence for your argument there, Sloshy...and I only own 9 of those but each gets repeat play around here.

Mr MidFi
06-18-2010, 05:36 AM
I may need to re-think mine. Especially since I remembered Ancient Melodies as being released in 2000, when it apparently wasn't. Count on the former Ms Nomer to set the record straight!

The march of time is wreaking havoc on my memory cells. (And by "time," of course, I mean "vodka".)