What is the best option within the $300 range? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What is the best option within the $300 range?

Mr.Gump
06-15-2010, 02:25 AM
Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I would like some recommendation on the best monitors in my price range. I want to spend in the neighborhood of $300 not including tax.

They should have connection in the back for professional usage.

At the moment the only monitors I am considering are the M-Audio Studiophile AV40's. You can see them here: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudiophileAV40.html

I know they are $200 but I can't afford the next jump in price that M-Audio offers. Can I do better with $300 from another brand?

p.s. I am a new audio engineering student and I want to use my new monitors for school projects.

Thank you.

p.s. I know I can probably save money buying monitors on Amazon. If you know of $400 monitors that I can get at a lower price, then please take that into consideration. I guess buying from the manufacturer is always more expensive.

maybe the Studiophile BX5a Deluxe is best?

poppachubby
06-15-2010, 05:57 AM
Hi Mr. Gump and welcome to AR!! An engineering student would make a great addition to our community, so I hope you stick around after achieving your goal.

I am not a speaker expert, but M-Audio are well regarded by several of our members. That said, I think you're on the right path. Consider the used market also, you can sometimes save as much as 50 - 75% on a previous year's model. In many cases, speaker technology has been dorment in terms of big advances. This means that a well kept pair of speakers that are say, 5 years old, can have the same or sometimes better sound as a current pair.

You will also be happy to know that there are a couple of certified engineers who post regularily here. They will be able to guide you with an insider point of view.

In order to better help you, are you looking for extreme neutrality?

D. Paul Navigator
06-23-2010, 01:27 PM
This is no knock on M-Audio, but there is another brand that I am familiar with, Swans. The M200MKII is the most affordable of the high quality powered monitors at $249 + ship. These folks build some of the most expensive production speakers out there, and they pushed the quality down to this affordable level.

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php/loudspeakers/swan-active-desktop/p/swan-m200mkii/cPath/21_24/products_id/80

Also check out the Diva Series floor standing speakers, the Diva 6.1 although replaced by the 6.2 is still being sold after 11 years.

Mr.Gump
06-23-2010, 01:29 PM
This is no knock on M-Audio, but there is another brand that I am familiar with, Swans. The M200MKII is the most affordable of the high quality powered monitors at $249 + ship. These folks build some of the most expensive production speakers out there, and they pushed the quality down to this affordable level.

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php/loudspeakers/swan-active-desktop/p/swan-m200mkii/cPath/21_24/products_id/80

Thank you, I will check them out.