Definitive Mythos St system [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Definitive Mythos St system

raulakh
06-13-2010, 01:11 AM
Hi everyone,

After reading good reviews I bought Mythos St system and pioneer Sc-27 for my hometheater system and found music on them does'nt match the regular car stereo I have. May be the room size (36ft by 20ft) makes a differnce. I am really discouraged, as the $ amount I spent on them. Are they really good quality? Any suggestion or experiece with them.

Thanks
Randy

mlsstl
06-13-2010, 07:02 AM
In what way do they disappoint? It wasn't clear to me what you were looking for in terms of sound quality and how they failed.

Different buyers look for different qualities in their sound system.

For example, I listen to a lot of acoustic music and spot-on, natural midrange tonality is critical to me. I've got a pair of Spendor SP1/2E monitors (from the BBC monitor lineage) and they are absolutely perfect for me.

However, if another listener wanted high volume, room shaking bass, "punch" or "etched" high frequencies, they would be disappointed with the speakers I chose.

So, until you give a bit more detail as to what you're looking for in a speaker system and how this one falls short, it's tough to know whether it is a placement or room acoustics issue, a mismatch of amp & speakers, or just the wrong system for you.

audio amateur
06-13-2010, 07:12 AM
I agree with mlsstl 100%. It could also be however, that you have made incorrect connections in your system (perhaps out of phase speaker connections) or that you haven't made the right settings on your A/V receiver. Speaker placement is important too.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
06-13-2010, 09:05 AM
His room is quite large as well, it could be that he is pushing his system really hard, but you gentlemen are correct, we need more information.

bobsticks
06-13-2010, 09:17 AM
IMO, no, they're not all they're cracked up to be...especially when factoring in the cost. A caveat, I've only listenend to them once for any length of time and in a room much smaller than your own. However, I believe, your issues further confirm my initial instincts.

I found the Mythos to be tinny and shallow. I've read in various AV forums where folks were supposedly getting better sound with seperate amps but that doesn't really make alot of sense given the ST's 93 decibel rating and the powered sub(s)...

I suspect it's not nearly enough speaker for a room that size and probably rooms much smaller...

...or, like me, you may simply not like their tonal qualities on pure music formats.

Whatever be the case, good luck.

I think (for the preservation of the proverbial "light at the end...") that the good gents posting before me have brought up some good points upon which to reflect. There's quite a few variables that go into getting these systems right and I recommend that you at least pay credence to their questions...room size, treatments, spacing, etc. will all factor into your ultimate enjoyment of any system.

raulakh
06-14-2010, 01:38 AM
Thanks all for your time. I used to listen to the same system in small room the sound was great, very rich and smooth when play music or movie. Recently I moved them to hometheatre a big room and I hooked these with new pioneer sc-27 instead of old yamaha receiver. I am a layman and don't know the technical terms. I just read the reviews online and bought it.
Now when I turn the volm loud they hurt ears and at low volume I feel I am listening a small crapy radio.

mlsstl
06-14-2010, 06:39 AM
If the same system sounded good in a small room but poor in your larger room, the first thing I'd suggest is you experiment with speaker placement. This can have a dramatic effect on sound quality.

Moving a speaker toward a back wall and/or corner will increase the bass output but can make a speaker sound muddy or boomy. There is probably one spot that is going to offer a balance that you find pleasing.

Is the room hard and reflective or is there a lot of absorbent material (carpet, cloth furniture, etc?) This can affect the balance of direct to reflected sound. Try moving furniture around a bit or toeing-in the speakers (angle them toward you.) Even something like a coffee table that is positioned in between the listener and the speakers can affect sound quality.

There are even companies that offer specialized acoustic wall hangings and "bass traps" that can dramatically improve how your speakers sound in your room.

It is certainly worth a bit of experimentation before you go to the trouble and expense of replacing equipment

And finally, one other thing to check. Modern AV receivers have a myriad of settings. Double check everything carefully to make sure you have things set up correctly and that you don't have a knob or setting to the wrong position or a speaker wired wrong. I recall one incident not too long ago where the fellow had a CD player plugged into a phono input and the sound was absolutely terrible. It might help to have a friend go through things with you - a fresh set of eyes might see something you missed.

raulakh
06-15-2010, 12:50 AM
Thanks for your advise I will consider re-checking the system again, as I had a lot of trouble setting them up. Still I am confused with LEF connections to the fronts. I made the connections and as per the mannual they said you can turn the option in receiver (sub is yes) . Where should I set the crossover frequencies (now it is at 80Hz).