General Audio Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : General Audio Question

zslindsay
06-12-2010, 09:45 AM
Okay, so I cashed in on some reward points recently and decided to get myself outdoor speakers. I have 6 DUAL 3 way loudspeakers.

I also ended up getting a Technical Pro receiver with peak power at 1000 watts. Hooked up one speaker and no sound at all. I noticed on the back of the speaker in small writing that 10 to 80 watts is recommended.

Is this going to be a problem?? Could I have blown the speaker??

Thanks.

Feanor
06-12-2010, 09:49 AM
Okay, so I cashed in on some reward points recently and decided to get myself outdoor speakers. I have 6 DUAL 3 way loudspeakers.

I also ended up getting a Technical Pro receiver with peak power at 1000 watts. Hooked up one speaker and no sound at all. I noticed on the back of the speaker in small writing that 10 to 80 watts is recommended.

Is this going to be a problem?? Could I have blown the speaker??

Thanks.
Make sure your speaker connections are secure at both the receiver and speaker ends of the speaker cable and that there are no short circuits. Since you have multiple speakers, have you tried swaping them to determine whether the problem is with the speaker or the receiver?

The power rating of the speaker vs. the receiver isn't a problem or concern. It is unlikely that the speaker is blown unless it was caused by a short or defect in the receiver in which case it is just as likely that a fuse blew in the receiver itself as that the speaker is blown,

zslindsay
06-12-2010, 09:52 AM
Since you have multiple speakers, have you tried swaping them to determine whether the problem is with the speaker or the receiver?

The power rating of the speaker vs. the receiver isn't a problem or concern.

Yep. I swapped out the speaker with another, and the same thing, nothing. I can BARELY hear the radio when I turn the receiver back on.

I went to radio shack to get the wire and since the speakers are outdoors, she recommended 16 gauge speaker wire.

zslindsay
06-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Its working now...not sure if it was a bad connection, but all is good now.

Feanor
06-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Its working now...not sure if it was a bad connection, but all is good now.
Glad to hear it!

By the way, welcome to AR Forums.