Is this called crosstalk? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is this called crosstalk?

Doonie
06-12-2010, 09:32 AM
I have a Adcom 5500, GTP550 and GF-6 speaker selector. I use a PC to hold my music, it is connected through the CD connection on the GTP550. When I play music I often get the sound of the FM radio station coming through faintly. What is the likely cause of this?

Thanks for any help...

bobsticks
06-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Have you tried connecting the computer through any other inputs (i.e. Vid1, Vid2, DVD, Aux) ?

basite
06-12-2010, 02:24 PM
that's not crosstalk, that's bleedthrough...

it's fairly common with receivers, the tuner is constantly "on", and producing frequencies that are being picked up by the preamplifier (they are really close to eachother), it's due to inefficient shielding...

you shouldn't be able to really hear it while music is playing though, more like when you have no music playing, with the volume turned up completely..;

nevertheless, most likely this is a shielding problem, and this is not easily solveable, without some inventive DIY'ing...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

markw
06-12-2010, 02:27 PM
"Crosstalk" is when sound from one channel intrudes on the other channel or magnetic tape allows the signal to "seep through" to the next (outer) layer, but that is olly heard in silent parts and appears as sort of a "pre-echo".

This is related, but what you're hearing is sound from one source "bleeding through" a poorly isolating selector switch in the preamp section. It's not uncommon and unless it's obvious at normal listening levels, try to not worry too much about it. It may be expensive (or impossible) to get rid of.

E-Stat
06-14-2010, 10:35 AM
It's not uncommon and unless it's obvious at normal listening levels, try to not worry too much about it. It may be expensive (or impossible) to get rid of.
Which is why I don't run the CD source through an otherwise nice Audio Research preamp used for phono. It manifests itself as a lack of separation that narrows the width of the apparent soundstage.

rw

Doonie
06-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'll see what I can do...:19:

bfalls
06-15-2010, 07:03 AM
"Crosstalk" is when sound from one channel intrudes on the other channel or magnetic tape allows the signal to "seep through" to the next (outer) layer, but that is olly heard in silent parts and appears as sort of a "pre-echo".

This is related, but what you're hearing is sound from one source "bleeding through" a poorly isolating selector switch in the preamp section. It's not uncommon and unless it's obvious at normal listening levels, try to not worry too much about it. It may be expensive (or impossible) to get rid of.

The term when "magnetic tape allows the signal to "seep through" to the next (outer) layer, but that is olly heard in silent parts and appears as sort of a "pre-echo" is referred to as "print-through". We noticed it quite a bit on our audiophile "MasterWorks" titles at CBS. They were recorded at a much slower speed (16x instead of 40x), used CR02 tape and were de-spooled into high-grade cassette cartridges. Because of the energy stored on the tape the layers would bleed and "print-through" onto adjacent tape layers causing the pre-echo mentioned above.