Masque of Shadows - Yokeshire [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Masque of Shadows - Yokeshire

poppachubby
06-12-2010, 07:46 AM
Has anyone heard this album. I am completely blown away. This isn't your typical "alternative" or whatever genre of the day. This is a wonderful mix of styles and sounds which somehow works together.

At times funky in an old school Bowie kind of way, then psychedelic in a Santana style. So much fun and musically quite adventurous.

I am not easily impressed with alot of the newer stuff. Believe me, I want to like it, but I find so much is far too moody for me. This release is super upbeat, the slower or moodier moments only serve to accent the bulk of groovy sounds.

Perhaps I am behind on this one, and everyone has heard it already. Either way, I am always excited to find great, NEW music. Last release that got me this excited was Black Joe and the Honeybears.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51G07QS92HL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Demetrio
06-12-2010, 07:59 AM
This is a great prog album indeed. And pretty nice sounding too.

Cheers,
Demetrio.

poppachubby
06-12-2010, 08:04 AM
I see the release date is 1999. I am so far behind...

ForeverAutumn
06-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Nice that you mention this after Demetrio has returned to the board. I have a copy he sent to me many, many years ago and I really like it. But haven't listened to it in a long time. Thanks for the reminder!

3LB
06-13-2010, 02:28 PM
This is a desert island disc for me. Not a wasted note on the entire album.

I picked up their double album release from a few years back, The Witching Hour, and thought that not only was the production sub-par, but their approach was more about jamming than tightly crafted prog. The writing was the essence of prog cliche. I got rid of it after about 6 months.

I listen to MoS all the time to this day. One of the reasons I heard about this album in the first place was because of the comp trading that used to go on here so long ago. Back in '01-'02 this place was hoppin' and every other thread was about somebody else's comp that they had recieved that week. CD-R burner drives were cheap and abundunt, and a stack of blank CD-Rs cost around $9.99 at christmas time. As with all types of discovery, I guess we reached a saturation point where the novelty of making comps was concerned. Also, the website underwent a format change, which rendered it unbearably slow for anyone still using dial-up. A lot of members faded away.

Hyfi
06-14-2010, 03:35 AM
As with all types of discovery, I guess we reached a saturation point where the novelty of making comps was concerned. Also, the website underwent a format change, which rendered it unbearably slow for anyone still using dial-up. A lot of members faded away.

MP3s ruined the great comp trading. I would still be making them but everyone seems to want digital files anymore. I still spin more of those old comps than I spin regular disks most of the time.

Hyfi
06-14-2010, 03:38 AM
Has anyone heard this album. I am completely blown away. This isn't your typical "alternative" or whatever genre of the day. This is a wonderful mix of styles and sounds which somehow works together.

At times funky in an old school Bowie kind of way, then psychedelic in a Santana style. So much fun and musically quite adventurous.

I am not easily impressed with alot of the newer stuff. Believe me, I want to like it, but I find so much is far too moody for me. This release is super upbeat, the slower or moodier moments only serve to accent the bulk of groovy sounds.

Perhaps I am behind on this one, and everyone has heard it already. Either way, I am always excited to find great, NEW music. Last release that got me this excited was Black Joe and the Honeybears.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51G07QS92HL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

So, you missed a recent HDCD Thread entry where I noted that although this disk is not labeled as such, it lights up my HDCD light on the Rotel, and sounds way better than a lot of disks. Also, in the What's Your Best Sounding CD, it was just mentioned several times.......you are behind...but don't fret. Aside from Shape of a Dancer, which is a great test for bass, I was unaware of just how great this disk was until a year or so ago.

Now, I wish these guys would tour a bit and not in little hole in the wall venues.