March Music Madness, FINAL: Talking Heads vs. Wilco [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : March Music Madness, FINAL: Talking Heads vs. Wilco

newtrix1
04-05-2004, 07:49 AM
16 original bands, 14 previous battles, 2 finalists vying for favorite band:

Finalists: Talking Heads against Wilco

Summary of prior matches (winner in bold):

1) Yes vs. Jethro Tull
2) DMB vs. Flaming Lips
3) White Stripes vs. Wilco
4) Talking Heads vs. Radiohead
5) Yo La Tengo vs. Fleetwood Mac
6) Bob Marley vs. Bob Dylan
7) AC/DC vs. Cream
8) Bjork vs. Prince

9) Yes vs. Fleetwood Mac
10) Flaming Lips vs. Wilco
11) Talking Heads vs. Bob Marley
12) Prince vs. AC/DC

13) Yes vs. Wilco
14) Talking Heads vs. AC/DC

Time to crown a champ! Thanks for playing along, the discussions wrt the original 16 bands have been interesting and enligthening.

dld
04-05-2004, 08:06 AM
Huge WILCO fan here voting for Talking Heads. Could regret it years from now if Tweedy is spoken of in the same hushed tones as Cobain, McCartney, Lennon, Dylan, etc. But man, have Talking Heads had a wonderful career or what? Part of the New Wave revolution with a hyper cool intellectual art rock sound with lots of experimentation, maybe the most important band from "77-85"? Wonderful memories from that era. From 1977 to mid 80's they ruled. Naked did kind of suck tho.

NP- WILCO, Summerteeth

newtrix1
04-05-2004, 08:12 AM
Ironically voting has gotten easier as the game progressed.

Talking Heads have been in my steady listening repertoire for over 20 years now. You just can't say that about too many artists.

Wilco, I guess I'll just never "get". I'm guessing they will likely win this contest (based on prior voting), but personally, of the original 16 artists, Wilco are my least favorite. I listened to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot a few days ago to see if my feelings toward the album have changed, but not only did I not enjoy it, I had to end the album early. There's a few "OK" songs for me, but also several which I find boring & dreary as well. I'm not fond of the lead singers voice either. I'll put Wilco on that list of bands that others love, but I just don't get.

mad rhetorik
04-05-2004, 10:36 AM
I'm just voting Wilco to be contrarian. ; P

This shootout thing kinda lost me after the Battle Of The Bobs. The initial rounds were intense, tight matches (Marley won over Dylan by only 10%.......BTW I demand a recount ; P). It got progressively less interesting as the contest went on, though.

Newtrix, this was a respectable effort, but the next time you do shootouts like this divide the artists into genres (ex. metal, prog, punk, singer/songwriter etc.) so the pairings make more sense. For example, put the Talking Heads up against another new-wave group like XTC, or pair The White Stripes with another "retro" oufit (John Spencer Blues Explosion is a good one). Have eight bands in each genre (ex. New Wave/Post Punk: Joy Division/New Order, The Cure, XTC, Talking Heads, Echo And The Bunnymen, U2, Gary Numan).

The resulting matches will be a lot tighter. Have preliminary, quarter, semi, and final matches then declare a winner from each genre. Then take the winners from each genre and pit them against each other. You could have some very competitive matches that way.

Mr MidFi
04-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Wilco for me. But it's another very close one.

newtrix1
04-05-2004, 11:10 AM
I'm just voting Wilco to be contrarian. ; P

This shootout thing kinda lost me after the Battle Of The Bobs. The initial rounds were intense, tight matches (Marley won over Dylan by only 10%.......BTW I demand a recount ; P). It got progressively less interesting as the contest went on, though.

Newtrix, this was a respectable effort, but the next time you do shootouts like this divide the artists into genres (ex. metal, prog, punk, singer/songwriter etc.) so the pairings make more sense. For example, put the Talking Heads up against another new-wave group like XTC, or pair The White Stripes with another "retro" oufit (John Spencer Blues Explosion is a good one). Have eight bands in each genre (ex. New Wave/Post Punk: Joy Division/New Order, The Cure, XTC, Talking Heads, Echo And The Bunnymen, U2, Gary Numan).

The resulting matches will be a lot tighter. Have preliminary, quarter, semi, and final matches then declare a winner from each genre. Then take the winners from each genre and pit them against each other. You could have some very competitive matches that way.
Yeah, when I started posting these matches, I had no idea if the game would be fun or a flop. I tried to get as much variety in as possible so more people could participate. I guess the genre battles makes more sense, but I think it would result in fewer participants. Who knows, maybe someone else can grab the idea for the next game?

Btw, it does seem like the Heads are gonna take this one, but there's still some Wilco fans out there in the shadows.

-Jar-
04-05-2004, 12:29 PM
we're taking a spanking here!

Davey!

Help!

DariusNYC
04-05-2004, 01:35 PM
This has been a really fun game. Thanks newtrix!

Finch Platte
04-05-2004, 03:18 PM
Yeah, when I started posting these matches, I had no idea if the game would be fun or a flop. I tried to get as much variety in as possible so more people could participate. I guess the genre battles makes more sense, but I think it would result in fewer participants. Who knows, maybe someone else can grab the idea for the next game?

Btw, it does seem like the Heads are gonna take this one, but there's still some Wilco fans out there in the shadows.

Just to be ****rarian. Boy, am I in a ****ty mood.

Got another copy of that Virgin Classic sampler for ya. I'll send it shortly.

fp

newtrix1
04-05-2004, 04:21 PM
we're taking a spanking here!

Davey!

Help!

Or perhaps the decision would make his head explode. ;) I think you need to put a call into Swish, FA and the elusive Sneaster-bunny.

Hey Jar, while I have you here, as one of the lonely Wilco fans (I really thought they would win this match, btw) can I ask what qualities of their music make them appealing to you? Actually this question goes out to any fans. As I stated before, Wilco is one of those artists whose universal appeal (in general) escapes me. I have heard a few songs I like, but the majority of what I've heard (from Being There & YHF) leave me scratching my head. I'm not questioning your taste, just wondering what I'm missing. :confused:

newtrix1
04-05-2004, 07:24 PM
This has been a really fun game. Thanks newtrix!

I'm surprised at the low participation level of the final match though :confused:

-Jar-
04-05-2004, 07:44 PM
Or perhaps the decision would make his head explode. ;) I think you need to put a call into Swish, FA and the elusive Sneaster-bunny.

Hey Jar, while I have you here, as one of the lonely Wilco fans (I really thought they would win this match, btw) can I ask what qualities of their music make them appealing to you? Actually this question goes out to any fans. As I stated before, Wilco is one of those artists whose universal appeal (in general) escapes me. I have heard a few songs I like, but the majority of what I've heard (from Being There & YHF) leave me scratching my head. I'm not questioning your taste, just wondering what I'm missing. :confused:

I like the slight americana thing Wilco has going.. not as out-and-out alt country as Uncle Tupelo was, but still, enjoyable nonetheless. Plus, I dig his lyrics, something I hardly ever say about anyone. For instance.. "She's a Jar" - <i>"She's a Jar, with a heavy lid, my pop-quiz kid, a sleepy kisser, a pretty war, my feelings hid, you know she begs me not to hit her"</i> Plus, he throws in some f**ked up shiznit every now and then.. take the chaos at the end of "Sunken Treasure" - a beautiful number.. but the end builds to this climax of beautific noise.. that's a plus for me. Noise that's well placed. Not noise for the sake of banging on ****.

I've never been a huge Talking Heads fan. David Byrne just I dunno.. I guess I don't find I connect at all with him. I dig some of their music of course. "Burning Down The House" is one of my favorite tunes. I know they had lots of other great songs too.. If the vote was "important" or "influential" - sure, Talking Heads wins hands down. But based on who I like more.. Wilco wins.

-jar

Dusty Chalk
04-05-2004, 07:47 PM
F*ck*n' *st*r*sks!

Funny how the final game is the easiest for me to choose.

Qu'est-ce que c'est?

Pardon my lack of proper accents -- I'm lazy. Viva la ASCII!

ForeverAutumn
04-06-2004, 05:26 AM
Hehehe. Okay, okay, I know they lost. But it was fixed I tell ya! :mad:

After much deliberation, I have to go with Talking Heads. I like Wilco, but I like Talking Heads more. Besides, I can't vote for the band that beat Yes (she said spitefully) :p .

Sorry to those of you who thought that you might be able to solicit my vote for Wilco. It was a close one for me which is why it took me so long to post my vote. But judging by the numbers, I suspect that my vote makes little difference at this point anyway.

tentoze
04-06-2004, 06:09 AM
I waded into this at the end with a Wilco vote, not that I'm particularly crazy about either one of the choices. Eighties music never did much of anything for me, even though the Heads may have been the best of an unispiring bunch (IMO). At least Wilco doesn't sound dated to me......yet.

;)

Ex Lion Tamer
04-06-2004, 07:55 AM
Wilco being totally outclassed....game over by halftime.