this afternoon's SCORE [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : this afternoon's SCORE

hifitommy
06-11-2010, 04:29 PM
now let me tell you about my one hour, all for a buck apiece stop at freak beat today:

manhattan transfer-vocalese-sealed-a crude hole punched in the cover like its a cutout.

john prine, 3 of em-aimless love, storm windows, and german afternoons

willie nelson-stardust

steve carr and brent brace-into the reeds. with david benoit, luther hughes, john patitucci, and others, sealed.

live at concord-the hanna/fontalna band

eddie gomez-power play

eberhard weber-yellow fields

ry cooder-jazz-xlnt shape, cover too, long a demo in mofi form, i had the cd first. people be quiet when it plays.

jon kaizan neptune-shogun

roomfull of blues-dressed up to get messed up

robbie robertson-self titled-the one with somewhere down this crazy river, produced by daniel lanois

art van damme and the singers unlimited-invitation

the art of noise-who's afraid of! (the art of noise)

plus tax and $1.25 in the parking meter right in front of the place. now i gotta get busy and listen, there are some gems here.

poppachubby
06-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Nice Tommy! The Robbie Robertson is one of my faves. The John Prine is a nice pick up also. I haven't heard Steve Carr but I love Pattitucci. Right arm!!

JohnMichael
06-11-2010, 06:48 PM
A very worthwhile day. Enjoy the Manhattan Transfer "Vocalese" which is one of my favorites. Oh and Willie Nelson "Stardust" is a classic.

02audionoob
06-12-2010, 02:27 PM
You gotta love a sealed record for a buck. The John Prine records alone would've been worth the trip.

hifitommy
06-12-2010, 04:10 PM
poppa-the robbie is some great rock and roll, dontcha think? and the sound is top notch along with the lanois touch. he also did emmylou harris' mirrorball. like cooder's 'jazz' its now a backup copy. the cd of jazz is the one i tried 'greening' of the cd on and i know i risk ridicule but the green pen thing actually works. it just too much work doing that to all the CDs.

JM-the vocalese and stardust are again, dupilcates that i can use as backups. both are fantastic records to own. i have just abpit everything by manhattan transfer including the new chick corea songbook which is also excellent. i have seen them about three or four times over the years, certainly worth seeing live.

O2-i have yet to take time to sit down to listen to the prines but that promises to be interesting.

that said, i think i will listen to the everhard weber first. he always is promising.

02audionoob
06-12-2010, 07:10 PM
A very worthwhile day. Enjoy the Manhattan Transfer "Vocalese" which is one of my favorites. Oh and Willie Nelson "Stardust" is a classic.

I picked up a Janis Siegel solo record, today. Very nice.

hifitommy
06-12-2010, 10:23 PM
is the first i got by her alone (1st on cd, then on vinyl). her rendition of 'small day tomorrow'. a bob dorough song, is particularly good. plus it has some demo quality bass on that cut.

i saw the manhattan transfer once for five bucks at the roxy in hollywood in the early 70s. i was hooked.

thekid
06-13-2010, 02:56 AM
Congrats!!
I can never seem to come across any John Prine when I make the rounds.

hifitommy
06-13-2010, 08:23 AM
"I can never seem to come across any John Prine"

i recently saw him on ?abbey road?, cant remember but i was really taken with his approach. at a dollar apiece, it was easy to make the decision to snag all three. maybe today i will get the chance to hear them.

last evening i listened to 'jazz' by cooder and its in perfect condition. i looked at the personnel list and saw that mark stevens did the drum work and coincidentally i had already planned to see him play so i took the cover with me. he got a real kick out of seeing the record which was recorded in '78.

poppachubby
06-13-2010, 08:39 AM
Off Topic, but I thought you would like this Tommy. My wife bought me an alarm clock which uses MP3. This morning I was awoken to Floyd's "Welcome to the Machine". As an alarm clock theme it brings a whole new meaning.

"Welcome Thomas Roy, welcome....to.....the machine"

hifitommy
06-13-2010, 09:20 AM
if ONLY they would release that as an SACD!

btw, if a group called 'which one's pink?' comes around in your area, dont hesitate.

http://www.whichonespink.com/

i saw them at the canyon club locally and they had alan parsons mix the gig. its pretty much like seeing floyd in person.

at one performance at another venue here in LA, i am pretty sure david gilmour was in and out of their dressing room and watching from the balcony.