Mounting B&W M1 Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mounting B&W M1 Speakers

Wayne H
06-11-2010, 06:14 AM
Just wanted to say hello to everyone on my first post to the site. Looks like a great place to get answers from knowledgeable people who share the same interest. My question is this. I'm looking to buy a set of B&W M1 surround speakers to use as the rear speakers in my home theater setup. My front, center and sub are all B&W, and I'm a great fan of their sound. Problem is, I'm not sure if they can be mounted from the ceiling. I know that the LM1's can be, and they seem to share the same mounting "arm", but without solid confirmation, I'm hesitant to do so. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hyfi
06-11-2010, 06:22 AM
Just wanted to say hello to everyone on my first post to the site. Looks like a great place to get answers from knowledgeable people who share the same interest. My question is this. I'm looking to buy a set of B&W M1 surround speakers to use as the rear speakers in my home theater setup. My front, center and sub are all B&W, and I'm a great fan of their sound. Problem is, I'm not sure if they can be mounted from the ceiling. I know that the LM1's can be, and they seem to share the same mounting "arm", but without solid confirmation, I'm hesitant to do so. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hello and welcome.

Have you tried asking B&W or the place you will purchase from or anyone who sells them?

Sorry I cannot answer myself.

PDN
06-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Wayne, I have a pair of M-1s for my surround sounds and they're perfect for that. They do come with wall mounting brackets. I don't use them so I still have them in the original boxes. I purchased an inexpensive pair of Omnipoint telescopic speaker stands and the M-1s fit well in them. B&W also sells their own floor stands for these but they are pricey.

Looking at the owners manual, it doesn't appear these brackets are meant to be mounted at the ceiling but only to a vertical wall surface. Are you sure you want to mount them that high in the room? It is recommended that surround sound satellite speakers be located about 2 feet above the listener's head while sitting. Mounting at the ceiling level would be too high for achieving optimum sound. Let me know how else I can assist. I have all B&W too.

Wayne H
06-13-2010, 06:29 AM
Thanks Hyfi and PDN for your responses. I haven't gone to B&W directly as yet, but I did ask the dealer who I purchased them from, and he didn't have an answer. I know that the B&W LM1's are capable of being ceiling mounted, and they have, what appears to be, the same mounting arm. However, based on your suggestion PDN, I think that I'll re-evaluate mounting them at the ceiling level, and drop them down as much as my space will allow. Again, thanks for the help.