Receiver probs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Receiver probs

Enochrome
06-10-2010, 11:12 PM
I know this is a loaded question:

I have a receiver that will not power on at all: nothing even flickers or makes a sound, dead. Does anyone know where the first place to look is. The only think I noticed was that on the board the only empty spot that seems to maybe missing something is an area that states to put in 250v fuses. Could it be missing some fuses?

Receiver is a Luxman R-3045.

Any help would be great, although I know this is a lame "rookie" question that is very open ended.

Cheers

markw
06-11-2010, 02:13 AM
Assuming this receiver is new to you and you've never heard it work, replacing the fuses with the proper ones would be a good place to start.

If it then doesn't work or blows the fuses, you've got other problems and, depending on your skill level in this area and what test equipment you have, you might want to consider having a qualified tech look at it.

poppachubby
06-11-2010, 03:48 AM
Do you have a voltmeter? The last power issue I had ended up being a faulty cord with a crimp in it.

You're asking us if it needs a fuse. Can you not check to see if it has fuses in it already?

Enochrome
06-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Poppa,

I don't have a voltmeter. I only see one fuse that is to the left, aways, from the transformer.
I have not opened it up from the bottom, there could be more there. The outside and the inside were immaculate, so that is why it is a little puzzling, but hey isn't that electronics.
It's a georgeous unit and it has liquid cooling and very high quality parts (i've been told).

Don't want to dampen the forum with "fix it" thread, just thought someone might have a hint. I'll post some pics soon, to see what you guys think of it aesthetically ( got a weird mix of plastic and metal).

Thanks for the help so far.

poppachubby
06-12-2010, 06:50 PM
No I like the fix it vibe. Just tough to help without seeing it. Pics would be good, I would like to check it out anyhow and see what is competing with the SX650.

Enochrome
06-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Have tried the 650 with a TT yet? I have not tried it with a cd player yet? Is it comparable to a modern receiver? I assumed that cds would work better with a modern receiver (no science behind that).

Mr Peabody
06-12-2010, 08:20 PM
My brother had a Luxman receiver which was dead like yours, he took it to a shop and that's all it was, he blew a fuse. The guy told my brother the Luxman was very well built and had a lot of protection built into it. In other words a lot of places have fuses on the inside as well. You said a fuse holder is empty? That would be an excellent place to start :) If that didn't work take a look inside and replace the others.

The Luxman should be a great sounding receiver better than most vintage. My brother's had great detail, ample high end, but not a big bass hitter. Not sure the entire history of Luxman but they were once owned by the corp who owns Alpine.

A CD player would sound equally as good or bad with a vintage piece as a new one. You know what I mean? If an amp is good, it is good no matter it's age.

Enochrome
06-13-2010, 09:22 PM
This is the empty area inside of the receiver.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1299/4698945148_4a5efd00c0.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4045/4698398381_2eb44cb88f.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4056/4699032108_31e29d2352.jpg

And the complete top of the inside, note the liquid cooling. The layout of this receiver is so much different than the SX-650.

Here's the beauty shots of the exterior.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1283/4699031982_3b7ac40535.jpg

I am beginning to open up the bottom of the receiver and I have already noticed that a 3a 250v fuse near the area where the plug goes in is blown and burned.

I hope it is just the fuses.

poppachubby
06-14-2010, 02:11 AM
Sounds like it Eno. Nice looking amp. Yes the CDP sound brilliant with the SX650. No, I haven't put a TT into the phono stage yet.

Glen B
06-14-2010, 08:44 AM
This is the empty area inside of the receiver.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1299/4698945148_4a5efd00c0.jpg

I hope it is just the fuses.

No fuses go in the location pictured. You will notice there are jumpers in place and more importantly, no fuse holders. The manufacturer may have either made a circuit design change after the PC board was designed or the board may have been designed for more than one receiver model, and the other may employ fuses in the location.

Enochrome
06-14-2010, 11:04 AM
Dude!!!!!!!! You are a god send!!!! I was just pulling my hair out on why there is no way the fuse clips could fit in there. I thought those looked like some sort of ghetto "bridge" alteration, but I am only familiar with jumpers on speakers.

I was literally just exhaustively searching the internet for this, when I came back and read this post.

Thanks so much !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enochrome
06-14-2010, 11:22 AM
So the 3A 250V fuse that is connected to the power transformer keeps on blowing.
Looks like it is beyond just a simple fuse swap. Drat!! Oh well.