Yamaha RX-V1400 with B&W 600's, comments pls [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha RX-V1400 with B&W 600's, comments pls

shahrouz
04-05-2004, 06:59 AM
I plan to purchase my first HT system. My final selection is the following components:

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V1400

Speakers:
Main L/R: B&W DM 603 S3
Center: B&W LCR 60 S3
Surrounds: B&W DM 601 S3
Subwoofer: none for the moment
Cables: not selected yet. However, quality cables will be used.

The system will be used 60% music - 40% movies. The kind of music ranges from classical, opera, Jazz, ... to trance and Pink Floyd.

Now, Is it a good matched system? Will it sound bright / warm / neutral?
I know that room acoustics will play a major role. But, I don't want a disaster; too bright or too warm!

Comments are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Wireworm5
04-05-2004, 08:28 AM
I plan to purchase my first HT system. My final selection is the following components:

Speakers:

The system will be used 60% music - 40% movies. The kind of music ranges from classical, opera, Jazz, ... to trance and Pink Floyd.

I know that room acoustics will play a major role. But, I don't want a disaster; too bright or too warm!

Thanks in advance!

Compared to my Paradigm Monitor 9 v2 the soundstage of the 601's is not as wide but exceed the 9's in the treble area. This for my ears adds a satisfying edge in rock guitar music that is smoothed over in the 9's. And with sensitive ears your can hear some high frequency irritation present in some recordings particularly mp3's.
My first impressions of my Yamaha RX-V2200 was bright compared to my previous receiver. However the mid-range detail was also much better which added to this perception. I read that the next year models address this brightness. So it shouldn't be a problem.
Overall I think this will have remarkably clear sound with excellant treble which may be perceived as bright.You will be able to adjust the parameters on this receiver to help compensate for room acoustics. My only concern would be having too small a room.

shahrouz
04-05-2004, 10:23 AM
Wireworm5,

Thanks for your comments,

The overall dimensions of the room is about 8m x 6 m (26.2 ft x 19.7 ft). However the system will occupy an area of only 5m x 4m (16.4 ft x 13.1 ft).

Woochifer
04-05-2004, 01:35 PM

Speakers:

Thanks in advance!

The YPAO function on the 1400 should prevent anything too extreme from dominating since it provides three separate parametric filters for each channel, and sets the delay timing automatically. In general, B&Ws go for neutrality and balance more than anything. The 1400 should have no trouble powering those speakers since they have a nominal impedance of 8 ohms and are reasonably efficient. For multichannel performance, the main objective is to get the placement and the room acoustics done right. I doubt you'll go wrong with that receiver/speaker combination.

paul_pci
04-05-2004, 11:58 PM
My comment echoes Woochifer's. My local audio dealer mentioned to me that B&W's would be a good match with a Yamaha because they are not power hungry speakers. Should be a reasonable match, if not a darn good one. I doubt it will be a disaster. From time to time, I think my Yamaha gets a little too bright, but not to any great detriment of my enjoyment.

shahrouz
04-06-2004, 08:21 AM
Thanks for all comments :)