Pioneer SX-650 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer SX-650

poppachubby
06-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Wow. Wow, wow, wow, wow.

I am floored. First of all I'm in my basement and the FM reception is perfect. The amp, at 35 wpc, is driving my Sound Dynamics perfectly. Tons of power, great sound with alot of warmth and tone. Imagine, all for the price of free. Everything functions as it should, lamps and meters included.

There's no way I am selling it. I am not even close to finished with this unit. I'll post some pics once it's all cleaned up.

Any Pioneer types out there?

poppachubby
06-09-2010, 06:58 AM
I probably should have documented the "before" with a bit more detail. Let's just say that I am quite certain it's NEVER had a cleaning. The inside was atrocious and the rear panel was a mess also.

Here's my only before pic...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4024/4682261217_8c0d232f42.jpg

After...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1278/4684823297_1afe10324b_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4027/4685459712_bcdbc8072e.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4021/4685457962_5cb79bbb40.jpg

Geoffcin
06-09-2010, 08:41 AM
There's a good reason why "Pioneer Silver" is so collectable. Nice find!

poppachubby
06-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Thanks Geoff. I'm just finishing off some cables and then adding it to my computer chain. The tubes have been unchallenged around here for a while.

frenchmon
06-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Thats a nice looking vintage Pioneer PoppaC.

hifitommy
06-09-2010, 01:33 PM
might be a good second system with the a25s in there. when i had my sherwood s8900a i turned down the bass control an turned on the loudness with the a25s. that cooled the mid bass while pumping up the low bass.

nowadays with the MMGs and the hsu sub, no need for tone controls.

thekid
06-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Congrats again Pops! Great pics, the unit looks like it is in excellent condition.
I am sure you already found this site but others may not be aware of it, a nice little resource on older Pioneer gear.

http://www.silverpioneer.netfirms.com/600_series_receivers.htm

Enochrome
06-09-2010, 10:23 PM
PoppaC ! Now that's what I'm talking about!!!!

I can't believe you scored that for free!!!! What a find! You gotta tell me what you think
of the sound and what you're mating it with?

It blew me away when I first hooked it up, but that was my first vintage hi-fi experience, you are a seasoned vet, so it must be a different experience. It had such a warm full sound without sacrificing anymore detail than my modern receiver with the AT phono stage.

Now you'll get where I am coming from with any external matching issues. Also, you have the 2M Red, which is in the same sonic family as my OM-20.

Congrats on the find!!! :) I love playing post 1975 music on that set up, especially any electronic stuff.

Don't you love the warm orange glow with that classy silver face. Built like an upscale tank.
Nice clean up job!!

Here's a bad pic of mine

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/4577184950_0b0611bbd9.jpg

poppachubby
06-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Thanks for all the cudos everyone. Seems like everyone is doing pretty good with gear right now. If you notice, there's quite a few members with new pieces or upgrades.

Eno, your SX looks great too. Right now I have my computer hooked into the 650, but I did have a Yammy CDP hooked in as well. For speakers I am using my Sound Dynamics 1200 SMT, it's quite a combo. VERY powerful and commanding, especially with the CDP. I am really enjoying it's sound. You are correct, warm and detailed. I would also add very clean and airy.

I certainly stumbled onto a gem. Today I will be cleaning up the Marantz that I found with it. It's an SR-640. It looks rather cheesy but is quite substantial and puts out more power than the Pioneer.

I haven't used the headphone circuit on the SX650. I see you have a set plugged into yours, what are they? I use AKG K240S at about 55ohms. Think I'll need an amp? Oh and BTW, the tuner is second to none!! My meters work perfectly. It makes radio a real joy, too bad it SUCKS around here. FM Muting is a wonderful feature. Oh well my wife loves it and the balmy yellow glow.

markw
06-10-2010, 04:44 AM
As you're discovering, there was some pretty decent sound available back then. As for the Marantz, enjoy, but keep an eye out for the 22xx series, which is pretty much the gold standard for their receivers.

Among other vintage stuff, I'm currently running the 2230 into a pair of JBL L-26's with a Philips 887 turntable (and a modern Marantz CD player) and what it does with well recorded music of that (or any, actually) period is not to be believed. It seems to have a more tube like sound than my 2270, which is more powerful.

Oh, either of their headphone outputs are to die for.

poppachubby
06-10-2010, 06:44 AM
Ya thanks Mark. I actually have an HK 630 Twin and 930 Twin. I also have a Marantz 1515. They are all special, but nothing like this.

My plan was to sell it, but I have fallen in love, at least for now.

Enochrome
06-10-2010, 07:46 AM
I have a pair Grado S80i's plugged in. I thought the receiver through those phones has a great sound. I am not sure you will need an amp for this, I think it would be fine without. You are right about the "open airy" sound: when I put on acoustic lps I definitely hear that sound.

Funny, enough I was going to upgrade this receiver with a Luxman R-3055, but I am dubious that I will really be upgrading. You know, I love my Luxman, and I am interested in the Duo-B circuitry aspect. I don't care too much about the 20 watt increase, because, as you know the 650 cranks beyond what you think 35 watts would do.

What did you use to clean the brushed aluminum front, I don't think I have found the magic formula yet?

I think one my favorite non-sonic parts of the 650 is the dropped input and speaker connects area in the back: it makes hook up so much easier ( which I believe the 650 is one of the only ones to have this?)

poppachubby
06-10-2010, 08:51 AM
I think one my favorite non-sonic parts of the 650 is the dropped input and speaker connects area in the back: it makes hook up so much easier ( which I believe the 650 is one of the only ones to have this?)

So funny you say that, I totally agree. It makes it look more "hi-fi".

What did you use to clean the brushed aluminum front, I don't think I have found the magic formula yet?

Most guys will say NOT to use Silvo or any polishes. Never one to be a sheep, I tried it once and the results were no better than without. I am using an industrial solvent which is "all natural" citrus based. It's called Flush Off. We get it at my work, it's about $15 USD/can. Combined with a soft brush it brings the metal back to it's original lustre. Great for the knobs and switches also. I could mail you a can if you like...

markw
06-10-2010, 08:58 AM
How is that stuff on the lettering? Many things that do a great job on metals clean the silkscreened lettring right off as well.

Does that Pioneer use those little propritary speaker plugs or did they wise up by the time yours was made?

poppachubby
06-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Funny, enough I was going to upgrade this receiver with a Luxman R-3055, but I am dubious that I will really be upgrading. You know, I love my Luxman, and I am interested in the Duo-B circuitry aspect. I don't care too much about the 20 watt increase, because, as you know the 650 cranks beyond what you think 35 watts would do.

I'll have my cans plugged in tommorrow morning. Can't wait. I have never heard a Luxman amp, ever. People do rave about them, so it would be worth a listen I would imagine. It will most certainly take more than sheer wattage to unseat the 650. Both my HK 630 and 930 twin are low wattage but sound better than your average 50+ wpc. And if you compare them to an average modern day equivelant? Fuhgeddaboudit.

I am enjoying the 650 mostly because, it's the first receiver in a while to present a sound that's got me excited. I had a Citizen integrated a while back, and while it was awesome, shoddy build quality did it in. Funny how it's such an innate response when something sounds good. Before you can even think of why, your brain just knows, and dutifully tells your azz to shake accordingly.

poppachubby
06-10-2010, 09:08 AM
How is that stuff on the lettering? Many things that do a great job on metals clean the silkscreened lettring right off as well.

Does that Pioneer use those little propritary speaker plugs or did they wise up by the time yours was made?

That's the beauty of this stuff Mark, and assumably the reason for the cost. It's natural base stops it from being an all out aggitator. I haven't had any issues with lettering, and the 650 looks mint with no breaks or fading. To be honest, I have never even considered that until now, but that's probably because it hasn't been an issue.

I can't answer regarding anything about Pioneer. This is my first. I don't know if there is a name for this style, but it's a button which slides the metal over to create an opening.

I took this photo blind...

markw
06-10-2010, 09:21 AM
A lot of older Pioneer amps use these (http://www.oaktreeent.com/Pioneer_Speaker_Plugs_Jacks_Adaptors.htm) and are a PITA since a lot of stuff you find used doesn't have them. People generally only become aware of these when they get it home (or unpack it) and go to hook up speakers.

That discovery is usually followed by a fairly vocal "WTF???"

I call what you have "push-to-insert" terminals and were the most common type then.

poppachubby
06-10-2010, 10:46 AM
A lot of older Pioneer amps use these (http://www.oaktreeent.com/Pioneer_Speaker_Plugs_Jacks_Adaptors.htm) and are a PITA since a lot of stuff you find used doesn't have them. People generally only become aware of these when they get it home (or unpack it) and go to hook up speakers.

That discovery is usually followed by a fairly vocal "WTF???"

I call what you have "push-to-insert" terminals and were the most common type then.

Yikes! The dark ages...

markw
06-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Yikes! The dark ages...Let's speak kindly of the aged. I've got a Pioneer SX-1000TD that uses these abominations. It works pretty well but it's in line for a cleaning and a few bulbs, as soon as I can dig up some info on it.

Geoffcin
06-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Let's speak kindly of the aged. I've got a Pioneer SX-1000TD that uses these abominations. It works pretty well but it's in line for a cleaning and a few bulbs, as soon as I can dig up some info on it.

And my SX-1500T uses them too. What you have to remember is that these were the first of the direct-coupled amps to be put into Pioneer receivers. If you cross the output jacks on a direct-coupled amp you can fry the output transistors in a flash. (tried that once with my PS Audio 200c and welded the leads!) With the whacky Pioneer system you can't do that at the connection jack.