Higher end speakers mixed with lower end speakers. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Higher end speakers mixed with lower end speakers.

theleftmethod
06-08-2010, 07:37 PM
Basically I am thinking about combining my two RTI/12 Polks

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/specs/recent/rti12/

with the Center and rear speakers from my Logitech Z5500 system

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/224

And my Polk DSW Pro 600 sub

all connected through my Yamaha RXV 365

My concern is however that the lower quality speakers from my Z5500 wont sound as good when paired (and compared) with my two Polks during 5.1 surround sound playback. This will be in a theater room with ideal speaker placement. However I can be some what of a sound critic. and I just don't want to take the time to set this up to find that the low end speakers tones don't match or sound right with the higher end Polks quality.

Dose anyone have any advice? I am new to surround sound and honestly don't know if my concerns are even valid.

So will these speakers sound fine together? or will the sound quality be noticeably different?

02audionoob
06-08-2010, 08:03 PM
I think at the very least you need to get the center speaker from the same series as the front speakers. The rears being something else could be acceptable.

Mr Peabody
06-08-2010, 08:06 PM
You have right to be concerned and guessed correctly. Especially the center channel. It is very important as that's where most of the action and dialogue takes place. And, as you say the sound will not be seamless. Some people may not mind, I do, and it sounds like you will. Spend the money on an RTi center. Timbre matching your speakers in a surround set up is crucial for optimum sound, "optimum" being the operative word. Rears aren't quite as important but you should at least get some type of Polk bookshelf if not able to afford your series rears.

Once I heard timbre matched front speakers I could never go mismatch again.

theleftmethod
06-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Thanks guys. Yah it would bug the hell out of me then. I guess I just need to spend the money.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
06-10-2010, 09:34 AM
Any idea that the rears can be compromised when compared to the fronts does not understand that todays audio(as opposed to the prologic days) puts equal demands on all channels to accommodate all mixing styles.

02audionoob
06-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Any idea that the rears can be compromised when compared to the fronts does not understand that todays audio(as opposed to the prologic days) puts equal demands on all channels to accommodate all mixing styles.

You have a very different viewpoint than the average person, considering what you do for a living. It (the rear thing) don't make a heckuva lot a difference to me. We're just trying to move up off of Logitech computer speakers.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
06-10-2010, 06:31 PM
You have a very different viewpoint than the average person, considering what you do for a living. It (the rear thing) don't make a heckuva lot a difference to me. We're just trying to move up off of Logitech computer speakers.

If your object to to move up off the logitech, and into another compromised option(matching rears do make a big difference), then you are right, we do have a different viewpoint. The rear speakers do not have to be expensive, they just have to have equal capabilities, and a tonal match to the fronts, no matter what choice or price point. What I do for a living has nothing to do with this criteria for the end user. We don't live in the prologic world, and any 5.1 movie soundtrack or audio only software will tell you that.