What do i buy? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What do i buy?

MV Owner
06-08-2010, 09:36 AM
Dear All,

A newbie here and first post so please be gentle!

I have a Sony KDL40V3000 LCD TV with Sony PS3 in my living room. At this time I do not have Sky / Virgin HD. I would greatly appreciate some advice on selection of a Surround Sound system. My requirements for the system are:-

1.A system that gives surround sound through the TV (for when watching movies on TV) and through the PS3 (for gaming / DVD / Blu Ray).
2.A system that has good to high performance in terms of sound quality and ‘surround sound effect’ (if there is such a thing).
3.Less than £500 in cost.
4.It does not have to be wireless.
5.A subwoofer that can be placed in any position (I would like it poking out from behind the sofa which is a cable run of 8m away from the TV)
6.Discrete small wall mount speakers that are black in colour.
7.If an amplifier / processor is to be positioned under the TV I would like it to be black in colour
8.Compatibility with Sky + or Virgin HD when I purchase it.
9.If possible, preferably purchasable from John Lewis as I like their 2 year warranty.

I do not necessarily require a Sony system, however I would not want any compatibility issues if I was to move away from Sony.

The living room is around 5.2m long and 4.3m wide which includes a chimney breast on the narrower 4.3m wall. The TV is to the LHS of the chimney breast in the corner. It cannot be repositioned elsewhere in the room. The viewing listening area is a sofa positioned in the middle of the 4.3m narrower wall at the opposite end of the room to the TV.

Thoughts and guidance would be very greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

MV Owner

pixelthis
06-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Dear All,

A newbie here and first post so please be gentle!

I have a Sony KDL40V3000 LCD TV with Sony PS3 in my living room. At this time I do not have Sky / Virgin HD. I would greatly appreciate some advice on selection of a Surround Sound system. My requirements for the system are:-

1.A system that gives surround sound through the TV (for when watching movies on TV) and through the PS3 (for gaming / DVD / Blu Ray).
2.A system that has good to high performance in terms of sound quality and ‘surround sound effect’ (if there is such a thing).
3.Less than £500 in cost.
4.It does not have to be wireless.
5.A subwoofer that can be placed in any position (I would like it poking out from behind the sofa which is a cable run of 8m away from the TV)
6.Discrete small wall mount speakers that are black in colour.
7.If an amplifier / processor is to be positioned under the TV I would like it to be black in colour
8.Compatibility with Sky + or Virgin HD when I purchase it.
9.If possible, preferably purchasable from John Lewis as I like their 2 year warranty.

I do not necessarily require a Sony system, however I would not want any compatibility issues if I was to move away from Sony.

The living room is around 5.2m long and 4.3m wide which includes a chimney breast on the narrower 4.3m wall. The TV is to the LHS of the chimney breast in the corner. It cannot be repositioned elsewhere in the room. The viewing listening area is a sofa positioned in the middle of the 4.3m narrower wall at the opposite end of the room to the TV.

Thoughts and guidance would be very greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

MV Owner

Sony sells whats called a HTIB, tiny black receiver, speakers the size of bullion cubes,
and a sub to mount anywhere, also contains all of the amps.
Not much, but you're not asking for much, should make you happy.
It has a black case, thats whats important.:1: