Recent Rentals and Viewings. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Recent Rentals and Viewings.

Worf101
06-08-2010, 07:00 AM
Been a little Busy of Late, but I'm finally able to give and update[

Ironman 2 - B-Minus - Not as fresh or as funny as the original but much better on the action front. I liked the idea of him facing a slow and painful death. However I found his romantic resolution with Ms. Potts to be a bit contrived.

Brothers - A Minus - A small, thoughtful film based on a Danish movie of the same title. What happens when the "good" son goes off to war and doesn't come back. Excllent acting by Tobey (I can do more than Spiderman) McQuire and Jake (I can keep my pants on) Gylenhaal. Excellent film.

Ninja Assassin - C - Good popcorn muncher only if you've absolutely nothing else to do. Action so frenetic you can't tell what the hell's going on half the time.

Penelope - B - Missed this one totally the first time it came around. A wonderful light-hearted parable about looks, love, honesty and pigs... Really pigs. Good film for the whole famn damily.

Tell No One - B-Minus - A French thriller about a man who's wife is abducted and murdered, or is she. What unfolds is a better than average who done it and why that provides more than a few "I didn't see that one coming" moments.

2012 - D - Sigh, how many times do we have to sit through this plucky dysfunctional family survives in the most improbable fashion dreck before it effin' goes away for good?

Transporter 3 - D - They ran out of gas on this franchise about one movie ago.

Good Hair - B - A very interesting documentary by Chris Rock about Black American's relationship to hair, color, race and identity. Well done picture by a comedian on a serious topic.

That's all for now. Happy Viewing.

Worf

Troy
06-08-2010, 07:13 AM
Ironman 2 was a total bore. My in depth review is somewhere else on this site.

Good Hair was a surprisingly enlightening doc about a culture which I know nothing about. What the hell is wrong with these women? People let themselves be manipulated by pop culture far too much.

Wild horses couldn't drag me to see 2012. Why bother?

The Imposters was a very funny, old-fashioned slapsticky screwball comedy with a great cast.

Hyfi
06-08-2010, 08:03 AM
2012 sucked. Everyone said to see The Day After Tomorrow which I thought sucked just as bad. How many things can blow up, cave in or whatever at your heels while you run, drive, fly or whatever?

I finally saw Avatar over the weekend. It may have been cool in 3d imax but the storyline was a same old predictable one and a little boring. It didn't need to be 2.5 hours long.

Worf101
06-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Forgot a couple more:

Black Dynamite - B - Funny as hell, as I said before not as ground breaking as "I'm gonna git you suckah" but pretty funny nonetheless. Made for lunch money but I loved every long haired afro'd minute of it.

Drag Me to Hell - B-Minus - Didn't expect much from this but I wound up enjoying the hell out of this little horror flick. The old gypsy lady is truly on horrific villain. Watch only if you've a strong stomach.

Worf

poppachubby
06-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Ninja Assassin was a great dissapointment. I really enjoyed Shutter Island.

frenchmon
06-08-2010, 11:55 AM
I enjoyed Good hair. These women are nuts. For the price of some of that hair, I could get some good audio gear....come to think of it, some of that hair and getting it done cost more than some pretty decent audio gear.

I also enjoyed Black Dynamite Cracked me up something awful. Fellas watch out for some of this new beer that's going around...specially some of the new micro-brews.

Smokey
06-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Transporter 3 - D - They ran out of gas on this franchise about one movie ago.

That movie neither needed a rating or explanation. I just felt bad for those who went to theater to see it. They couldn't turn it off :)

Sir Terrence the Terrible
06-10-2010, 06:41 PM
2012 - great pop corn flick, and very entertaining. Not a great movie, but certainly an evening of good fun. Good picture quality, and most definitely great sound quality.

Good Hair - cracked me up so bad, and I am not surprised at what I saw. When I was growing up, a weave was mocked to the point of pain. Now, it is perfectly acceptable if not a fake looking phenomena. After watching that movie, I can spot a weave from a mile away(even though it wasn't that hard before watching the movie).

Transporter 3 - whah???

Ironman 2 - I like it as much as the first, though I thought the action in the second movie was better than the first. Great follow up to a good movie.

3LB
06-11-2010, 10:18 PM
I thought Iron Man 2 was good, still better than any of the X-men movies, and better than a host of others like it (better than Spider-Man 3). But like you said Worf, the romance angle is contrived and completely unnecessary (Do we believe this for a second?) It was a good sequel, but I can understand how it might try the patience of those who have repeatedly professed a waning interest in the genre. And I think as far as the Avengers tie-in goes, we should move on and forgo an Iron Man 3, lest he wear out his welcome and ruin the momentum for this whole Avngers thing. Downey is far too pleased with himself and I'm not so sure I buy the narcissist as superhero thing, but he owns the role. Better action at the expense of character developement - prolly necessary.

2012 was like any thrill ride. They have to keep building bigger and better ones to draw you back in. There's all kinds of things wrong with the science in this show, but it ain't like you have to actually believe your in a Mayan dig to enjoy the Indiana Jones ride, do you?

Ninja Assasin - doesn't the word ninja mean "assasin"? so its like the name of the movie was Assasin Assasin. Sometimes you can judge a book by its cover.

recoveryone
07-03-2010, 07:32 AM
Iron Man 2 C I was not much of a fan from the first one

Grown ups C- It was like watching the blue comedy tour at the movies. Out of all the comics Kevin James and David Spades' roles where about the best and thats not saying much. The one liners or from my old school days of Capping on each other gets old fast, even a few of the wives get on some of it.

She out of my League B- The classic loser club flick, when one gets lucky, some real funny parts (the older bother role)

Book of Eli (on Blu ray) A-/B+ Your own beliefs will let you see the message behind the story line you will like it or hate it. But the cinema work was very good

Last Air Bender B Take the little ones or grandkids and just have fun with it. But before you go watch a few episodes of the cartoon version so you will have some clue of what is going on.

Kam
07-13-2010, 07:55 AM
I loved "Tell No One" and have it on my Netflix OnDemand queue to watch it again, even knowing all the twists and turns to see how I enjoy it upon repeat viewing. Kind of like "He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not," which I highly reccomend as well.

PeruvianSkies
07-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Did anyone happen to see the film RAMPAGE, starring Brendan Fletcher who goes on berserk shooting and killing mass numbers of people? It's directed by Uwe Boll and worth a peek, despite it's shortcomings, I give it credit for having the balls to do certain things it does.

Kam
07-14-2010, 06:49 AM
Did anyone happen to see the film RAMPAGE, starring Brendan Fletcher who goes on berserk shooting and killing mass numbers of people? It's directed by Uwe Boll and worth a peek, despite it's shortcomings, I give it credit for having the balls to do certain things it does.

On my netflix on-demand queue. I'll bump it up and watch it, thanks for the rec!