Vintage Speakers Info [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Speakers Info

Folkbloke
06-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Hi there,

I have just bought these speakers on a whim because they sounded really gorgeous. However, I have no idea of their history. This is a long shot as they look bespoke, but do any of you know at a glance which manufacturer might have made them? The cabinets are completely sealed, and there are no labels or text anywhere.

Secondly, and this is probably best on the cables page but - I have no idea how to connect them. Do any of you recognize the connectors in the first photo? As far as I can work out, they don't take any cables I'm familiar with.

Yours ignorantly,
D

thekid
06-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Folk

Welcome to AR.
Those certainly are interesting. My guess is that they went to a console and at some point got separated. The motif of the panels might give some clue as to the console they are from. I am also guessing that what appears to be a whole in the top is for an omni-directional driver that is pointing upwards so I would not sit anything on them.

As for how to hook them up you might try regular banana plugs but I can't tell because I can't judge the size of the whole. Here is an idea of what might work.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23174%3B+-+Speaker+Wire+Banana+Plugs/8470095.p?id=1184768166642&skuId=8470095