Name me a few decent Jethro Tull DVDs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Name me a few decent Jethro Tull DVDs

Hyfi
06-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Looking to give a JT DVD as a gift but not sure if any have decent quality.

Can anyone suggest a few decent Jethro Tull DVDs?

Thanks

Finch Platte
06-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Jethro Tull Does Dallas

Behind The Green Door With Jethro Tull

JT: Thick As A %$#@*

Hyfi
06-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Jethro Tull Does Dallas

Thanks bud, I will check them out. If Darren was still around here the list would be too long to pick one.

3LB
06-04-2010, 02:32 PM
I think DarrenH hangs out over at AK

Rich-n-Texas
06-04-2010, 04:34 PM
So Hyfi, are talking about decent audio quality? My faviorite Jethro Tull album is Warchild; I purchased the CD recently but they filled it up with a lot of (in some instances) crap. There are one or two good "bonus" tracks, particularly "Rainbow Blues" and "Glory Row", but the others are bizzaro instrumental and orchestral tracks. Overall though, Warchild is a good protrail of JT in the 70's when they were at their best.

Or should I not be taking this thread seriously? :idea:

ForeverAutumn
06-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Take the thread seriously, just never take Finchy seriously.

ForeverAutumn
06-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Jethro Tull Does Dallas

Thanks bud, I will check them out.

Seriously? :shocked:

Smokey
06-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Overall though, Warchild is a good protrail of JT in the 70's when they were at their best.

Might also want to check out their '77 album Songs From the Wood. Very different sound from their earlier work, but a notworthy one.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51JE5E3406L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Mr Peabody
06-04-2010, 09:49 PM
I bought the remastered CD of "A" which came with a DVD, this would make a good gift. The DVD was very good. It's a concert video and Anderson is in form. Man, that guy gets around the stage.

I don't typically buy concert videos but I do like to get them as a bonus with a CD. I bought a few as well but most of them have been in with CD.

I like certain albums throughout JT's career but one of my favorites is Broadsword. Close behind is Thick As A Brick. I have several and probably own more if I had a chance to hear what they sound like. I can't remember the name but I do not like the album with Bungle In the Jungle.

Hyfi
06-05-2010, 05:53 AM
I'm looking for DVD not Cds but yes, good quality.

Jack in Wilmington
06-05-2010, 06:47 AM
Hyfi, I have two DVD's

Living With The Past filmed during the British and American tour in 2001.

Nothing Is Easy which is from there 1970 Isle of Wight concert.

Both are must haves for the Jethro Tull fan

Rich-n-Texas
06-05-2010, 07:41 AM
I'm looking for DVD not Cds but yes, good quality.
Oh. Sorry. I have much JT on vinyl & CD, and a Blue Ray concert: Live at Montreux recorded in 2003, but nothing on DVD.

Mr Peabody
06-05-2010, 08:52 AM
They listen to JT in Texas..... are you sure you are talking about the right Jethro ?? :)

One on Blu, I'll be checking that out.

Rich-n-Texas
06-05-2010, 09:36 AM
They listen to JT in Texas..... are you sure you are talking about the right Jethro ?? :)
Remember, I'm a South Jersey transplant. :smilewinkgrin: I went to the concert supporting the Warchild release at the Spectrum in Philly in 1974, and I've yet to see a concert anywhere near approaching the theatrics of Ian Anderson. He is, was, and always will be quite the character!

He does some of the popular tracks from back in the day, and covers a lot of stuff from quite a few albums.

Picture quality is top-notch, and the available audio format is DTS-HD.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
06-05-2010, 03:35 PM

Definately check it out, it is really good!

Mr Peabody
06-05-2010, 07:37 PM
As it turns out it looks like Warchild is the album I'm not crazy about. I like Benefit a lot though and I just threw Stand Up in on an order I placed earlier, only $8.98 remastered. That's one of the cool things about JT though, you know the albums are them when you hear them but the group wasn't afraid to experiment so if you like them at all there's bound to be something you like.

Hyfi
06-06-2010, 07:51 AM
As it turns out it looks like Warchild is the album I'm not crazy about. I like Benefit a lot though and I just threw Stand Up in on an order I placed earlier, only $8.98 remastered. That's one of the cool things about JT though, you know the albums are them when you hear them but the group wasn't afraid to experiment so if you like them at all there's bound to be something you like.

Stand Up and Benefit are my two favs. I spun Stand Up last night before we all watched Avatar.

Hyfi
06-06-2010, 07:52 AM
Remember, I'm a South Jersey transplant. :smilewinkgrin: I went to the concert supporting the Warchild release at the Spectrum in Philly in 1974

I was there! And also the next 5 or 6 visits. Remember the big balloons the size of VW Bugs?

Troy
06-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Typical of so many 70s bands, Jethro Tull doesn't have any high quality footage of them in their heyday. As already noted, they were one of the most entertaining, theatrical and physical bands of the era, but by the time the idea of filming rock concerts for sale became popular (about 1980-85) the band had past it's prime.

I've seen bits and pieces of interesting 70s footage, but nothing of any length or recording quality.

Today, I like all the albums from Aqualung to Stormwatch (but I was a fiercely obsessive teenager about them at the time). Too unimaginatively bluesy before that and when Anderson (or the label, it depends who you ask) fired the rest of the band for the A album, they lost so much of their personality. It wasn't just Anderson, it was his ridiculous interaction with everyone else in the band that made the 70s era so special.

Mr Peabody
06-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Anderson still works with Martin doesn't he? I heard an interview that made it soud like the two were sort of a team.

I'm not sure what year the DVD was filmed that is included with "A", I'm assuming sometime around the album's releasse since there are songs from the album included in the concert, but Anderson is quite energetic, so if the earlier years were wilder than that all I can say is, wow!

Troy
06-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Anderson still works with Martin doesn't he? I heard an interview that made it soud like the two were sort of a team.

I'm not sure what year the DVD was filmed that is included with "A", I'm assuming sometime around the album's releasse since there are songs from the album included in the concert, but Anderson is quite energetic, so if the earlier years were wilder than that all I can say is, wow!

Yeah to be honest, Martin Barre was the only one that made the transition. His guitar playing is intrinsic to the JT sound.

A was in 1980, and yeah, the line up through the 70s with Barrie Barlow and Dave Evan was much harder rocking and tighter. Everyone in the band was very much a part of the show, playing with anderson, instead of just for him. Anderson was much younger and even more physical and wild. Searching youtube, there's really no concert footage to speak of between 1970 and 76. Footage of the band from the Aqualung thru Warchild tours with the totally whacked Hammond-Hammond on bass is almost impossible to find. I have the A disc and while it's pretty good, the 70s band was a totally different animal.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zkcEIHPRJNI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zkcEIHPRJNI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Hyfi
08-16-2010, 08:00 AM
Hyfi, I have two DVD's

Living With The Past filmed during the British and American tour in 2001.

I ordered the Living in the Past DVD for my friend's Birthday and got myself one while I was at it.

Very good video indeed!

3LB
08-16-2010, 08:56 AM
Living With The Past is decent, but like Troy says, its hardly representative of his wild man stage persona back when. We're just all so amazed that these '70s rockers, who haven't died a violent or indignant death, can still present a reasonable facsimile of their former glory.

Hyfi
08-16-2010, 09:04 AM
Living With The Past is decent, but like Troy says, its hardly representative of his wild man stage persona back when. We're just all so amazed that these '70s rockers, who haven't died a violent or indignant death, can still present a reasonable facsimile of their former glory.

Agreed for sure since I saw JT no less than 6x back in late 70s. I don't really like most of the newer (post Minstrel in the Gallery) albums but I'm sure my buddy will love the DVD as he goes every year still to see whatever version of JT is touring.