Razor Your Magnepans [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Razor Your Magnepans

Dawnrazor
06-03-2010, 01:15 AM
I put together a "how to" guide to an incredible tweak that improved my maggies immensely and thought I would share:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/MUG/messages/15/155318.html

Hyfi
06-03-2010, 03:41 AM
Pretty cool. My speakers have Feet but no Socks.

Geoffcin
06-03-2010, 04:03 AM
I put together a "how to" guide to an incredible tweak that improved my maggies immensely and thought I would share:

Pretty neat. Has anyone tried this on 3.6's?

Dawnrazor
06-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Pretty neat. Has anyone tried this on 3.6's?

Hi Geoffcin,

In the writeup I list Bibo01. IIRC he has 3.6s and he did the half razor. Acurus has the 2.7s and did a half razor on that.

I think the theory of stopping the vibration from getting back into the driver frame is valid for all mags. Sure there will be some specific differences between models and more material will be needed for the bigger mags (the quantities I mention were for the mmgs) but the results will be similar and perhaps even more so on the bigger mags as they probably vibrate even more.

If you think about it, the magnets are the whole pole piece side, so if that is vibrating, so are the magnets which causes the mylar to vibrate in response. This clouds resolution, but once it is gone, it is amazing what the speakers can do.

A speaker that allready is resolving and images amazingly is even better...downright scary what these speakers can do.

GMichael
06-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Interesting. Seems logical. Not sure I'd have the balls to cut open a set of Maggies (if I owed them). though.

Geoffcin
06-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Hi Geoffcin,

A speaker that allready is resolving and images amazingly is even better...downright scary what these speakers can do.

Damping of vibration is the Mye stands claim to fame too. I can attest that the bass becomes even more taught and dynamic with Mye stands, espcially at higher volumes. I never though to damp the panel internally though.

Time to get out the box cutter!

Feanor
06-03-2010, 11:51 AM

Interesting. Thanks, DR.

audio amateur
06-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Seems there's always a new to improve Magnepans. Why don't they just come out with these 'tweaks' at the factory?

Geoffcin
06-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Seems there's always a new to improve Magnepans. Why don't they just come out with these 'tweaks' at the factory?

I would expect that there's a cost issue involved. Certainly the Mye stands aren't cheap (about $600), and I would expect the time consuming hand application of all of the damping material would add considerably too (maybe even more thna the stands!). While incredible speakers, Magnepans are NOT "cost is no object" speakers.

Dawnrazor
06-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Damping of vibration is the Mye stands claim to fame too. I can attest that the bass becomes even more taught and dynamic with Mye stands, espcially at higher volumes. I never though to damp the panel internally though.

Time to get out the box cutter!

YIKES. You dont need a box cutter. The speaker grills (socks) are held in place by staples, hundreds o them...no need to cut. The how to guide has a link to instructions on how to remove the socks.

Yep, it is a similar principle to the mye stands, but it gets vibrations right away. Anyhow the improvement of the full razor is amazing.

Please let us know how it turns out, and do know that the tweak IS reversible. But I dont think you will want to...

IMHO this really goes along way to address some of the few maggie weaknesses.

JoeE SP9
06-03-2010, 07:14 PM
This is the cheapest tweak of all. All single ended Maggy's sound better from the back. Just turn them around and listen to the rear.

Dawnrazor
06-03-2010, 07:23 PM
This is the cheapest tweak of all. All single ended Maggy's sound better from the back. Just turn them around and listen to the rear.

I agree there though I would say it is just as good to get them vertical while you are at it, but maybe not as cheap.

Though I hope that most people would have already found the proper placement etc, before looking up maggies skirt to Razor them.