Ortorfon OMB-10 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ortorfon OMB-10

frenchmon
06-02-2010, 08:12 AM
PoppaC...the OM-10 is a very good pick-up. It has a little sibilance going on with a few albums. I say a very good pick-up because it picks- up a little to much. I hear more of the defects in my budget table. Before with the Goldring Elan I could rap on my table and I would hear nothing through the speakers...not so with the OM-10. I hear more back ground noise..."fried eggs sounds" from a worn album...I even hear the wobble in the album. I've lowered and raised the tracking force and the noise is still there. The Goldring hid many of the flaws that the OM-10 is reveling. I put on a new album with no wobbles and less cymbal work from the drummer and its very smooth and clear. But with any album thats not perfect the flaws will shine through loud and clear. Even between songs on the album, I can hear the noise. I really dont think a budget table is a good fit with this cart....at least not this budget table. I will continue to listen and see what this cart is like. I think you mentioned its not broken in? I'll give it a little more time....could be the budget tonearm is not a good fit with this cart...but now I am listening to a William Ackerman Album thats near perfect and it sounds amazing...until I get in between songs where on ends and another one begins...

poppachubby
06-02-2010, 12:24 PM
It has about 50 hours on it, so pretty much broken in. Quite simply if your vinyl is that ragged, you may want to consider replacements if possible or re-issue. I only buy and spin LP s that are up to a certain caliber. Might be a fantastic title, but the album must be in proper shape.

This is where having a removable headshell is helpful. You could have the OMB on one and the Elan on another and switch on a whim.

The Ortofon is alot more forward than your Goldring, I think this is the bottom line for your experience thus far. It really is a wonderful little cart. I think it's matched nicely for your table and arm.

frenchmon
06-02-2010, 02:37 PM
It has about 50 hours on it, so pretty much broken in. Quite simply if your vinyl is that ragged, you may want to consider replacements if possible or re-issue. I only buy and spin LP s that are up to a certain caliber. Might be a fantastic title, but the album must be in proper shape.

This is where having a removable headshell is helpful. You could have the OMB on one and the Elan on another and switch on a whim.

The Ortofon is alot more forward than your Goldring, I think this is the bottom line for your experience thus far. It really is a wonderful little cart. I think it's matched nicely for your table and arm.

Yeah...I made it known that dad did not take good care of his vinyl. I threw most of them out and kept what I felt ws not worn as bad. And the head shell is removable. It's not the head shell thats a problem...its those very thin wires. Don't want to break one of those.

If its broken in, then its just to bright. I can hear the sibilance loud and clear. That will pluck the heck out of my nerves. Its not really forward at all PoppaC...its clear...good separation in sound...images great...has good thrust in the bass....nice clear mids, but to much hiss. Even when the brushes are playing, it amplifies to much hiss. Its a very good pick-up but magnifies any type of sound like cymbals or brushes to much. Even to much noise in the 2 seconds between songs.

Now my system is not bright, nor is it boring....but what I don't want is hiss and sibilance. I have a 2M Red coming that should be here Saturday....and I've read a few reports that say it gives off sibilance as well. If it does, then its going back or getting sold, but I have also read the opposite....mixed reviews. But hey...thats how you learn.

The Ortofon is not more forward than the Goldring. Forward is in your face, and the Ortofon is not in your face...not laid back either, but just there...presented before you. The Goldring does every thing the Ortofon does, without amplifying every little nick. In listening to the both, I would say the Goldring Elan is totally different from what I read about it. Most people said it was junk. I find it a little entry level gem. Its not as sensitive as the OM-10 and its smoother than the OM-10. It too presents a nice sound stage with good imaging and nice highs...not rolled off. The bass is not as profound as the Ortofon but once I set the tracing it got better...and I do have a sub if I need to turn it on.The Elan is clear. Its warmer than the OM-10 and I was able to connect emotionally with the sound it was spitting out. Im kinda curious as to know what a more expensive Goldring is like.

After I get done analyzing the characteristics of the OM-10, hopefully I may be able to sit and just really get into the sound of it and feel what it spits out.....but I don't know with the hissing and sibilance. I betcha if my basement floor was not concrete but wood, I would hear foot steps through the OM-10 cart.

Sensitive may be a good word to describe a characteristic of the OM-10. This to me seems like it could be a flaw of the cart. From what I understand this cart is discontinued and the super is suppose to be better. But it could also be the tonearm not matching up with the OM-10. I will be upgrading the table in about 6-12 months.

I think I will keep the OM-10 on until I get the 2Mred. From what I've also read about the 2M Red on audioreview...it hides the pops and scratches in worn vinyl. IF that's true, then its not as bright as the OM-10. So I will just have to wait and see. Thanks for sending the OM-10...we will see how it goes....I have some new vinyl coming.

Mr Peabody
06-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Frenchmon, you know how to mount carts and properly set them up??

poppachubby
06-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Agreed, I think we have an alignment issue here. Like I told you Frenchie, the OM body can be tricky to align. Did you try the toothpick across it?

Enochrome
06-02-2010, 06:59 PM
Poppa, is the toothpick trick like the longhorn mod?

Frenchmon, I got my OMB-20 working again recently and it took me some time to get it working right, for now :) I took the weight out and bumped the tracking to 1.6. It is true that this cart is very "sensitive/revealing", which is a blessing and a curse. I have several G+ records and the OM20 lets me know. For the most part, I am use to it. The OM-20 is nude, so I think I have even more sensitivity issues, but i think it is a universal characteristic of the cart science as well.

The good part is when I threw on some Floyd, Electronic, Salsa or Rock, that thing just blew me away!! I love the tight bass, wide sound-stage (coming from a Grado), and the sweet far reaching highs :) It only lacks the depth of my Grado. The frequency range is incredibly even, and dynamic.

frenchmon
06-03-2010, 12:08 AM
Fellas I assure you the cart is aligned properly....I got out my PRO-JECT alignment tool and I also did the VTA. So there is no problem in that area. Its just that the cart has a problem in that its really sensitive to some of the high effects on albums....thus sibilance. Before I went to bed, I put on some Wes Montgomery and there was no problem at all, but when I put on some good cymbal work by drummer Art Blakey....the sibilance returns.

poppachubby
06-03-2010, 02:28 AM
You want something new? Try some Joshua Redman, just excellent. He has quite a few albums out but he is the new guard of real jazz. Right up there with Roy Hargrove and Christian Scott.

Christian McBride usually shows up for a few tracks. Flea and Meshelle Ndegeocello too.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/a/18412/Joshua_Redman

frenchmon
06-03-2010, 06:55 AM
You want something new? Try some Joshua Redman, just excellent. He has quite a few albums out but he is the new guard of real jazz. Right up there with Roy Hargrove and Christian Scott.

Christian McBride usually shows up for a few tracks. Flea and Meshelle Ndegeocello too.

PoppaC...I am very aware of Joshua Redman...I have followed his musical career from when he won that award...I think it was the Thelonious Monk award for best new musician in 1991. I've had his "Wish" album and his "Mood Swings" album and now have his "Back East" CD. I've also got a very good CD by Milt Jackson with Joshua on it as well as the great Joe Williams Cedar Walton and John Clayton on bass...every body on that CD is dead but Clayton who is an older man still jamming and Joshua...so you see what kinda respect Joshua gets...that tells you a lot about his skills on sax.

Joshua is but a "chip off the old block" as they use to say. I loved his dad even more. His dad was a member of Ornette Colman's group during the 60's an 70's and then Was one of the original memebers of Keith Jarrett's group that also had Charlie Haden and Paul Motian on drums . Dewey was a great tenor sax player as well. Dont know if you have ever heard of "Dewey Redman" but he was great man...I mean great. I still have a bunch of Keith Jarrett's stuff on redbook and I just love the one live recording "Eye of the Tiger"where "Dewey" just goes off in a sax solo. Another good one is "Fort Yawuh" Dewey just goes buck wild man. But I must add PoppaC....before the formation of Keith Jarrett's quartet, he too like Dewey and Haden...spent time with Ornette Colman. Jarrett even spent time with Miles Davis in his post bop fusion bands with Wayne Shorter. So if you know what Colman was like, and what Miles "post be bop" bands where like...and you liked them, then you will love Dewey and Jarrett together. John Coltrain also spent time with Ornette Colman as well as with Don Cherry who was a great trumpet player.

Heres a picture of Dewey Redman.

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/322/250pxdeweyredmansw15444.jpg (http://img99.imageshack.us/i/250pxdeweyredmansw15444.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Dewey was one great Jazz tenor. Before he died he and Joshua did a few albums together. Joshua was greatly influenced by his dad later in his life after Joshua started his musical career. Did you know that Joshua was about to graduate medical school until he won the award? He gave it up to play music...and great music does he make.

I enjoy talking to you PoppaC about music....good stuff.

frenchmon
06-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Agreed, I think we have an alignment issue here. Like I told you Frenchie, the OM body can be tricky to align. Did you try the toothpick across it?

PoppaC...I went back over my steps in setting up the cart. Everything was fine. But I did go to Vinyl Engine to see what the tracking force is with the OM-10. Its from 1.25-1.75g. So I set it to 1.25g. The sibilance and noise is about gone. Blakey's cymbals sound much better....not nerve plucking as before. This is a detailed cart. Could use a little more in the bottom end and a little more warmth....not boring warm but not edgy. In comparison the Elan is a lot smoother and warm IMO. A lot of the noise is gone as well. My dealer called and said the 2M Red is in so I will pick it up tomorrow. IF I send you an album to complete our deal, will I have to pay import fees? I think I may get a second table before I get another one in about 12 months. I want a vintage table...something that wont cost to much coin. Something like an old Dual 1264 or Marantz 6300 or something like that and have them both set-up.

frenchmon
06-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Frenchmon, you know how to mount carts and properly set them up??

Back in the old days we would float it and turn it and play it....all by ear. It still can be done llike that today, but theres more technical involvment these ays. Cart is set correctly as well asarm with VTA.

I never had the proper TF until I went over to Vinyl engine. Sounds pretty good now. Music got me moving.:thumbsup:

BTW...I never remember carts sounding this good back in the old days.

poppachubby
06-03-2010, 12:21 PM
If you want to net me an LP, just buy it from Amazon.ca and it will be delivered domestically.

I'm glad you figured out the cart, I thought you would have enjoyed the bass but at 1.25g, bass response will suffer. That's VERY light force. Heavy arm you have.

Man that's a great rundown on Redman. No I didn't know anything about him or his dad. I have been slowly collecting his albums on CD, great sounding stuff. I passed on a mint Paul Motian Trio LP not too long ago.

Check the Rave Recs, I just got done watching a Return to Forever DVD, awesome. Anyhow you'll dig the 2M, aside from performance it has a funky look also. BTW, that Jim Hall LP is amazing, so amazing.

I am planning on adding some Klipsch KG3 to my system. I figure with all the jazz i am listening to it should be a great fit.

Jack in Wilmington
06-03-2010, 01:21 PM

Well Poppa you may not have turned Frenchie on to something new, But you have peaked my interest. Joshua Redman is a new one to me and I like what I hear. Where is a good place to start in his discography? I can get Mood Swing on vinyl, or is there a better choice? Thanks, Jack

02audionoob
06-03-2010, 03:08 PM
PoppaC...I went back over my steps in setting up the cart. Everything was fine. But I did go to Vinyl Engine to see what the tracking force is with the OM-10. Its from 1.25-1.75g. So I set it to 1.25g. The sibilance and noise is about gone. Blakey's cymbals sound much better....not nerve plucking as before. This is a detailed cart. Could use a little more in the bottom end and a little more warmth....not boring warm but not edgy. In comparison the Elan is a lot smoother and warm IMO. A lot of the noise is gone as well. My dealer called and said the 2M Red is in so I will pick it up tomorrow. IF I send you an album to complete our deal, will I have to pay import fees? I think I may get a second table before I get another one in about 12 months. I want a vintage table...something that wont cost to much coin. Something like an old Dual 1264 or Marantz 6300 or something like that and have them both set-up.

Most cartridges will track better and control sibilance better when the tracking force is in the upper half of the recommended range. Don't be afraid to try at least 1.5g. Assuming a dead-level VTA, I generally prefer my tracking force at least 0.1g above the midpoint of the recommended range.

frenchmon
06-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Well Poppa you may not have turned Frenchie on to something new, But you have peaked my interest. Joshua Redman is a new one to me and I like what I hear. Where is a good place to start in his discography? I can get Mood Swing on vinyl, or is there a better choice? Thanks, Jack

Mood Swing would be a good one. Even "Wish" would be another good one...He has Pat Metheny, Charlie Haden, and the one and only late Billy Higgins on drums. You cant go wrong with either album.

frenchmon
06-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Most cartridges will track better and control sibilance better when the tracking force is in the upper half of the recommended range. Don't be afraid to try at least 1.5g. Assuming a dead-level VTA, I generally prefer my tracking force at least 0.1g above the midpoint of the recommended range.

Thanks noob. I'll try it at 1.5 and let you know how it sounds.

frenchmon
06-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Jack...did you get your new deck yet?

frenchmon
06-03-2010, 03:24 PM
noob do you use cleaning fluids or do you just use the alcohol, water and dish liquid. IF you do by cleaning fluids is there a cheap place to buy on line?

02audionoob
06-03-2010, 03:50 PM
noob do you use cleaning fluids or do you just use the alcohol, water and dish liquid. IF you do by cleaning fluids is there a cheap place to buy on line?

I make my own with 3 parts distilled water to 1 part 99% isopropyl alcohol, with a few drops of Jet-Dry per pint. I was using dish liquid instead of the Jet-Dry until the past few months. I suspect the ready-made stuff works better, though. You could try something from Garage-A-Records which seems to have fair prices. You could also take a look at RRL products, which seem to be reasonably priced.

http://www.garage-a-records.com/categories.php?cat=116

http://www.gcaudio.com/cgi-bin/store/showProduct.cgi?id=29

I feel like the most important step in my process is the vacuum. I use this, sometimes dry but usually wet...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3520/4016158122_af02bb6198.jpg

Jack in Wilmington
06-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Jack...did you get your new deck yet?

I pick it up on Sat. The dealer is about an hour from my house on the northern side of Philadelphia so I avoid going up that way during the week. Too much traffic. Just unhooked my MMF 2.1 and got it ready to go. Can't decide what to listen to first when I get it home. I'm putting together an LP shopping list to order online, Mood Swing is first. Just ordered a CD from a guy you probably have heard of, Dave Holland. He's forned an Octet and released a CD called "Pathways" that sounded very interesting.

poppachubby
06-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Frenchie just got back from the library. Grabbed a handful of Telarc discs and these...

http://img.maniadb.com/images/album/161/161315_1_f.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41KE5N8D0XL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.jazz.com/assets/2007/12/23/albumcoverDexterGordon-OurManInParis.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31BR83RNV5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

frenchmon
06-03-2010, 07:50 PM
I pick it up on Sat. The dealer is about an hour from my house on the northern side of Philadelphia so I avoid going up that way during the week. Too much traffic. Just unhooked my MMF 2.1 and got it ready to go. Can't decide what to listen to first when I get it home. I'm putting together an LP shopping list to order online, Mood Swing is first. Just ordered a CD from a guy you probably have heard of, Dave Holland. He's forned an Octet and released a CD called "Pathways" that sounded very interesting.

Holland is a very gifted bass player....many times using the double bass. I listened to a very good album yesterday that at first I thought I would not like but I loved the CD. I thought I would not like it because there was no drummer. It was Kenny Wheelers album "What Now". Wheeler on Flugel Horn, Chris Potter on Tenor sax, John Taylor on piano, and Holland on double bass. Holland does a very good job in time keeping on the bass. IF you run across the album by Kenny Wheeler pick it up and check out Holland on bass keeping the time....and Wheeler plays a good horn as well. Wheeler also has a of classical and free jazz stuff as well.

What Table are you getting?

frenchmon
06-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Frenchie just got back from the library. Grabbed a handful of Telarc discs and these...

http://img.maniadb.com/images/album/161/161315_1_f.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41KE5N8D0XL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.jazz.com/assets/2007/12/23/albumcoverDexterGordon-OurManInParis.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31BR83RNV5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The only one I had is "Our man in Paris". I love his version of "willow weep for me" and "Scrapple from the Apple" Bud Powel is special...and we all know Kenny Clark....but a very under rated and unknown bass player was Pierre Michelot. He was an outstanding talent. He was a Frenchman and did alot of work with Dexter Gordon when Gordon lived over seas all those years before his return to the states in the 80's. Michelot had Alzheimer's.

Have you seen the movie "Round Midnight"? Dexter was nominated for a Oscar award for his role as "Dale Turner" a Jazz sax player living in France during the 50's who had a drug problem...it was really the story of many of our great Jazz artist who had to go abroad to make a living. Very good movie with real Jazz musicians playing jazz. Gordon on tenor and soprano, Wayne shorter on soprano, Herbie Hancock on piano, Billy Higgins on Drums, and Pierre Michelot on bass. A very good movie.

Dexter is the king of Ballards.

Jack in Wilmington
06-04-2010, 02:13 AM
Holland is a very gifted bass player....many times using the double bass. I listened to a very good album yesterday that at first I thought I would not like but I loved the CD. I thought I would not like it because there was no drummer. It was Kenny Wheelers album "What Now". Wheeler on Flugel Horn, Chris Potter on Tenor sax, John Taylor on piano, and Holland on double bass. Holland does a very good job in time keeping on the bass. IF you run across the album by Kenny Wheeler pick it up and check out Holland on bass keeping the time....and Wheeler plays a good horn as well. Wheeler also has a of classical and free jazz stuff as well.

What Table are you getting?

I'm jumping up a notch to the MMF 5.1 with the Goldring 1012GX cartridge. This guy also carries VPI and Acoustic Signature so I'm sure to get a glimpse of some nice tables.

poppachubby
06-04-2010, 02:40 AM
I'm jumping up a notch to the MMF 5.1 with the Goldring 1012GX cartridge. This guy also carries VPI and Acoustic Signature so I'm sure to get a glimpse of some nice tables.

That cart and table combo kicks. I've heard it a couple of times. The 1012 is a great cart, you are in for a real treat.

frenchmon
06-04-2010, 06:13 AM

I would say its more than a notch..Congrats Jack....I will be moving up in about 6-12 months to the Pro Ject 1 Xpression III...the one in the picture. Am still enjoying the MMF2.1

frenchmon
06-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Ok PoppaC. Just now got the 2M Red installed and fired her up....first impressions...A tad warmer than the OMB 10. nice sound stage, detailed not as strong of a bottom end....nice mids and highs...and best of all, no sibilance. I have it set to Ortofons stats of 1.8g so that may be why the bottom end is little, and the fact that its about 35 minutes broken end. Its not as sensitive as the OMB-10. So the 2M Red will be on the table for a while now. Out of the Elan, OMB-10 and the 2M Red...its the best of the lot. You should get a new needle for your broken Red..or perhaps go for the Blue.

poppachubby
06-04-2010, 02:57 PM
I am using a Sumiko Blue Point right now, it shames the Red. I will either get a retip for it of a JICO SAS for my Shure.

frenchmon
06-04-2010, 03:13 PM
I am using a Sumiko Blue Point right now, it shames the Red. I will either get a retip for it of a JICO SAS for my Shure.

Oh yeah ...no doubt....I think the Blue Point cost about $300 or something like that correct? To much coin on this table. I may go ahead and get a Sumiko Pearl in a few months just to compare now that you mention it. On second though, I've been thinking about the Jolida JD 9A Phono Preamp, tubes and nice reviews...might as well start putting a little aside for that and sneak it into the house so the missus wont notice it.:devil:

02audionoob
06-04-2010, 03:38 PM
In my house, the missus isn't even asking how much this stuff costs. Man, I've got it good.;)

poppachubby
06-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Sumiko Pearl is AWFUL. Please don't bother Frenchie. Save your money for something better than entry level. You should try a Denon DL 160.

02audionoob
06-04-2010, 04:10 PM
You could get a Goldring 1012GX for around $200 at this UK site:

https://shop.mantra-audio.co.uk/acatalog/Goldring_Cartridges.html

Jack in Wilmington
06-04-2010, 05:51 PM
That cart and table combo kicks. I've heard it a couple of times. The 1012 is a great cart, you are in for a real treat.

Thanks for the engouraging words. I'm in uncharted territory when it comes cartridges. I counting on you guys for a little guidance. By the way Poppa I got a couple of the record clamps done. Nothing fancy for the first time. I'll work on a design. The boss finally took a couple days off and it gave me time to play. They are out at the platers getting black anodized. They should be back this week. I can send you one if you'd like?

Mr Peabody
06-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Frenchmon, have you looked at the Bellari tube phono stage? I haven't heard them but some have recommended them as being able to perform beyond their price range. www.spearitsound.com carry them. Actually, they are a Jolida dealer as well, I believe, Jack may be able to give you a good idea of how the two would compare. Email Jack during the week, on the weekend his helper sometimes answers for him and he isn't as informative.

Mr Peabody
06-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Frenchie, you are quite the Jazz buff. You will have to bring some stuff over for me to check out next time and quit having me play that devil music :)

I like Fusion quite a bit like Jean Luc Ponte, Return To Forever and all it's members solo stuff, Dave Grusin, Marcus Miller, Pat Coil and the like. My favorit acoustic Jazz players to date are Roy Hargrove, Scott Hamilton and Gene Harris. I like some of Count's stuff in stereo. Can't stand that "free forum" stuff that sounds like every one is playing a different song at the same time. I like a rocking B3 as well, Jimmy Smith or Eric "The Scorch" Scortia.

frenchmon
06-04-2010, 06:15 PM
In my house, the missus isn't even asking how much this stuff costs. Man, I've got it good.;)

She wont come down in the 2 channel room to often but when she does she does a 360 and when she spots something I get the old eye roll. A friend of mine asked me...he said " man who wears the drawers in your house? to which I replied..."man I wear the drawers in my house! But she wears them too"

frenchmon
06-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Sumiko Pearl is AWFUL. Please don't bother Frenchie. Save your money for something better than entry level. You should try a Denon DL 160.

Good advice...

frenchmon
06-04-2010, 06:20 PM
You could get a Goldring 1012GX for around $200 at this UK site:

https://shop.mantra-audio.co.uk/acatalog/Goldring_Cartridges.html

You know noob....after I listen to the Elan for a while it wasn't bad at all in my sysytem. It had a warm character to it....is that common with Goldring carts?

frenchmon
06-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the engouraging words. I'm in uncharted territory when it comes cartridges. I counting on you guys for a little guidance. By the way Poppa I got a couple of the record clamps done. Nothing fancy for the first time. I'll work on a design. The boss finally took a couple days off and it gave me time to play. They are out at the platers getting black anodized. They should be back this week. I can send you one if you'd like?

What? Jack you and Poppa building your own clamps? Got pictures?

Mr Peabody
06-04-2010, 06:28 PM
Don't you have to be careful adding weight to the platter, like clamps? I'm not sure my Rega could handle any drag.

frenchmon
06-04-2010, 06:29 PM
Frenchmon, have you looked at the Bellari tube phono stage? I haven't heard them but some have recommended them as being able to perform beyond their price range. www.spearitsound.com carry them. Actually, they are a Jolida dealer as well, I believe, Jack may be able to give you a good idea of how the two would compare. Email Jack during the week, on the weekend his helper sometimes answers for him and he isn't as informative.

Actually MrP...I forgot to mention to you in the earlier email, while at Wylies...He had a Bellari connected to the VPI. It had a nice warm sound to it. He got the Musical Design tube preamp without the phono stage so being a dealer, he has the Bellari. It sounded pretty good to me. I asked him how did he think it sounded, and he said he really does not have any other brand to compare it too. But as far as I could tell it had things sounding pretty mellow to me.

frenchmon
06-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Frenchie, you are quite the Jazz buff. You will have to bring some stuff over for me to check out next time and quit having me play that devil music :)

LOL...and you got plenty of that stuff too...lol:)

I like Fusion quite a bit like Jean Luc Ponte, Return To Forever and all it's members solo stuff, Dave Grusin, Marcus Miller, Pat Coil and the like. My favorit acoustic Jazz players to date are Roy Hargrove, Scott Hamilton and Gene Harris. I like some of Count's stuff in stereo. Can't stand that "free forum" stuff that sounds like every one is playing a different song at the same time. I like a rocking B3 as well, Jimmy Smith or Eric "The Scorch" Scortia.

Yeah I love some good free form...being an x pot smoker and pill popper.

frenchmon
06-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Don't you have to be careful adding weight to the platter, like clamps? I'm not sure my Rega could handle any drag.

Just as long as you don't get one that's to heavy. I just order a Bren1 clamp. I've read they help improve the sound...I'll see.

frenchmon
06-04-2010, 06:56 PM
noob...I forgot to mention that my dealer friend closed his shop a few years back and started selling from his home. He is a dealer for all Music Hall products which means he sells Goldring as well. Because of no over head of a store, he can sell at very good prices. What does that same Goldring cart go for in the states?

Jack in Wilmington
06-04-2010, 07:09 PM

Mr. P, Poppa found some prints and dimensions on line and I whipped up a program and ran off some prototypes. They recommended a weight of 350g if I remember. Just something to do while I'm stuck at work.

02audionoob
06-04-2010, 08:34 PM
noob...I forgot to mention that my dealer friend closed his shop a few years back and started selling from his home. He is a dealer for all Music Hall products which means he sells Goldring as well. Because of no over head of a store, he can sell at very good prices. What does that same Goldring cart go for in the states?

Musicdirect has it at $450.

You know noob....after I listen to the Elan for a while it wasn't bad at all in my sysytem. It had a warm character to it....is that common with Goldring carts?

In general, I'd say yes. I currently have three Goldring cartridges and they're different but they lean to the warm side of something like the Ortofon cartridges.

poppachubby
06-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Jack I would love a weight. I'll post some pics of the one I am using right now. Maybe tommorrow.

poppachubby
06-05-2010, 02:31 AM

Generally speaking, no. There is no "drag" created by a weight or clamp. If your platter can't handle a weight on it, I would say you would have more to worry about with your table, like stability.

Some people don't like clamps, and depending on table design they can help bring up vibrations from the spindle onto the LP. For this reason I prefer a weight.

Sonically, a weight is probably the best upgrade in terms of price/performance for a TT. Tracking improves noticably so usually things like bass and midrange smoothness improve instantly.

I have a couple of DIY weights kicking around Peabody. I could send you one if you like. PM me your address. Regas have the short spindle, right?

frenchmon
06-05-2010, 05:13 AM
Man PappaC....I wish I knew you guys where into making weights...I could have purchased from you. I may be needing another if I get a second table. I just purchased one from a guy in North Carolina....heres a picture...oh and post a picture of the ones you and Jack are making...heres mine. The one in the picture is gold in color, mine is silver.

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/6110/1c46dbc87c9f1afd43e6367.jpg (http://img411.imageshack.us/i/1c46dbc87c9f1afd43e6367.jpg/)

frenchmon
06-05-2010, 05:15 AM
Musicdirect has it at $450.

In general, I'd say yes. I currently have three Goldring cartridges and they're different but they lean to the warm side of something like the Ortofon cartridges.

I think you said if I got one form over seas, I could get it for about $200? That would be the way to go. My dealer cant be a price of $200.

02audionoob
06-05-2010, 05:21 AM
I think you said if I got one form over seas, I could get it for about $200? That would be the way to go. My dealer cant be a price of $200.

You can, for now. Mantra Audio seems to be running out of certain models.

Jack in Wilmington
06-05-2010, 06:19 AM
Man PappaC....I wish I knew you guys where into making weights...I could have purchased from you. I may be needing another if I get a second table. I just purchased one from a guy in North Carolina....heres a picture...oh and post a picture of the ones you and Jack are making...heres mine. The one in the picture is gold in color, mine is silver.

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/6110/1c46dbc87c9f1afd43e6367.jpg (http://img411.imageshack.us/i/1c46dbc87c9f1afd43e6367.jpg/)

Frenchie, I'll post pictures as soon as I get them back from the platers. Is your's brass or aluminum with a alodize coating? And there is no purchasing from us, we would be more than happy to send you one.

Mr Peabody
06-05-2010, 06:49 AM
Poppa, the Rega does have the short spindle. Maybe being perfectly centered the weight doesn't make a difference. I just notice sometimes even with a light brusch like the Audioquest the platter will slow down when dusting an LP. I'll send you my address and give it a try to see what happens.

02audionoob
06-05-2010, 06:53 AM
With a brush, I think the reason it slows down the platter is that you can't apply totally even and consistent pressure. If you could, the platter would eventually regain its correct speed. Weight is actually a good thing for speed when distributed evenly. The better-quality turntables use heavy platters, even with little 2-watt motors.

Mr Peabody
06-05-2010, 06:57 AM
The Rega stock platter is very heavy. You've probably seen their thick transparent platter. I'm not sure what it's made of though. Is the weight to help the LP or just add weight? I wouldn't think the Rega platter would need additional weight but I could see how placing weight on the LP could be a benefit.

02audionoob
06-05-2010, 07:00 AM
I have a P5 with the stock glass platter. It weighs about 4.5 pounds. Heavy, balanced platters with very low-torque motors are less subject to speed fluctuation because of the inertia of the heavy platter. They take longer to start up, but they also are less subject to slowing down, as long as there are no uneven outside forces.

poppachubby
06-05-2010, 08:24 AM
Poppa, the Rega does have the short spindle. Maybe being perfectly centered the weight doesn't make a difference. I just notice sometimes even with a light brusch like the Audioquest the platter will slow down when dusting an LP. I'll send you my address and give it a try to see what happens.

You are using the brush from an outter edge, which throws the momentum off balance. The weight is centered and does not have this effect.

Hey noob, did you try that weight I gave you? I'm thinking about one for Peabody. See how it does on the P5 and let me know.

02audionoob
06-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Yes...I tried it on the MMF-5, but it's too heavy. I tried a crystal cocktail glass and that seemed to work nicely.

poppachubby
06-05-2010, 08:32 AM
Yes...I tried it on the MMF-5, but it's too heavy. I tried a crystal cocktail glass and that seemed to work nicely.

so what happened? My Pioneer spins with it. I'm not saying it's ideal, I know it's huge but I have a few others kicking around. more ideal for DD.

02audionoob
06-05-2010, 08:46 AM
so what happened? My Pioneer spins with it. I'm not saying it's ideal, I know it's huge but I have a few others kicking around. more ideal for DD.

It spins with the weight, but I think I heard a bit of wow that I didn't hear with the cocktail glass.

frenchmon
06-05-2010, 09:30 AM
Frenchie, I'll post pictures as soon as I get them back from the platers. Is your's brass or aluminum with a alodize coating? And there is no purchasing from us, we would be more than happy to send you one.

Cool Jack.

Its aluminum. IF you got extra's I'll take one.

frenchmon
06-05-2010, 09:39 AM
The Rega stock platter is very heavy. You've probably seen their thick transparent platter. I'm not sure what it's made of though. Is the weight to help the LP or just add weight? I wouldn't think the Rega platter would need additional weight but I could see how placing weight on the LP could be a benefit.

MrP heres a P25 with a Bren1 clamp....I think you will be just fine. http://www.bren1recordclamp.com/page19.php?ImageGalleryPage=8

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/7245/47fcc2a3dcc05d06b967505.jpg (http://img267.imageshack.us/i/47fcc2a3dcc05d06b967505.jpg/)

frenchmon
06-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Any of you guys got a speed box or anything like that?

02audionoob
06-05-2010, 09:46 AM

For many people, what they're doing with the weight on the LP is stabilizing it...reducing how much it reacts to the stylus. Others like the flattening effect it has. The flattening effect isn't all that great, though...given that the force is applied only in the label area. Anyhow...stabilizing the record seems like a sound theory, and is the reason I have often used the clamp that fits my MMF-5. Beyond that, I think the extra weight of my experiment with the cocktail glass may have slightly improved speed stability...but it's something I could hear only under very focused critical listening.