Help needed with new model Samsung [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with new model Samsung

Mr Peabody
06-01-2010, 07:17 PM
My daughter's boyfriend bought a new Samsung LCD, not sure the model but it's a good one with the 240Hz and all the latest features, except 3D. He is having a problem getting 1080i from cable box. He is using HDMI connection and the set will show he is getting 720p but that's it. According to my daughter they already checked the settings on the cable box and TV. I need to find out what happens with Blu-ray and will post back. Any other ideas what could be wrong? I also need to get over and see what that thing looks like. :)

eisforelectronic
06-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Check the cable box settings. If the box is set to "pass-through", then the format may vary between channels. If the box is set to "fixed", then check the HD setup. The box could be locked to 720p.

Worf101
06-02-2010, 07:12 AM
On my Time Warner Boxes you have to go through a particular protocol on the remote or box itself. You enter a menu where you specify what native resolution you want the box to transmit at. 1080i is the last option you can set it to. You should also ask if they're running the signal direct from box to LCD or routing it through a HT Receiver, this could also make a big difference.

Worf

pixelthis
06-02-2010, 07:56 AM
My daughter's boyfriend bought a new Samsung LCD, not sure the model but it's a good one with the 240Hz and all the latest features, except 3D. He is having a problem getting 1080i from cable box. He is using HDMI connection and the set will show he is getting 720p but that's it. According to my daughter they already checked the settings on the cable box and TV. I need to find out what happens with Blu-ray and will post back. Any other ideas what could be wrong? I also need to get over and see what that thing looks like. :)

I just got one of the "newer" Comcast boxes( a HUGE DVR drive, btw) and
its working fine, but when I crank my system up the box reverts to 720p.
I have to reset it from the panel, then its fine, but after a system shutdown
and recrank, its back to 720p. HAVENT called them yet.
ON THESE Comcast (motorola) boxes you turn the power off, then hit menu,
and access the setup screen.
Set the output res from that screen, hit menu again, turn the box back on.
If you have no prob like I do, then you should be good to go.:1:

Mr Peabody
06-02-2010, 02:18 PM
He is going from cable box direct to TV for now. I'll probably end up having to go over and take a look myself in order to get what's happening straight.

My daughter told me this morning she thought the TV read 1080i with games but 720p for movies from a PS3. She said she thought he was using HDMI for movies and component for games but if using a PS3 you'd just use the one HDMI connection wouldn't you?

pixelthis
06-03-2010, 10:24 AM
He is going from cable box direct to TV for now. I'll probably end up having to go over and take a look myself in order to get what's happening straight.

My daughter told me this morning she thought the TV read 1080i with games but 720p for movies from a PS3. She said she thought he was using HDMI for movies and component for games but if using a PS3 you'd just use the one HDMI connection wouldn't you?

HDMI is the only (and soon the only) way to go, can't beat the direct digital
connection.
Can't understand why you'd use component for anything, HDMI is so delicious
and obviously superior, I don't use anything else, tried to at first, but the difference is so obvious.
Also, not sure, but I THINK 1080P is only possible through HDMI.
ITS THE BEES' NEES, ANYWAY:1:

tom1967
06-06-2010, 04:34 AM
Usually those cable box menus have a choice called "auto" where the accept the "best" quality signal that is available, just like a receiver does with audio....

Sir Terrence the Terrible
06-06-2010, 09:41 AM

Now I am very confused. The PS3 has a auto set up function that asks the television what resolution it is, and when the television communicates back its resolution, the PS3 sets it.

If they have HDMI, they shouldn't need any component cables, both games and movies are transmitted through HDMI. Get rid of the RGB cables altogether.

If the cable box has HDMI, it should be sent to the television direct, and toslink should be used for its audio connection. Cable boxes on occasion send out funky HDMI communications that receivers have a problem with.

Mr Peabody
06-06-2010, 12:17 PM
With further discussion I believe he is using component with the PS3 and HDMI with the cable box. I told them they need to switch that around until getting another HDMI. At this point everything is going to TV, no receiver.

Tom1967, if the cable box is set to "auto" and all they get is 720p at best, you think it's just a bad cable service?

pixelthis
06-06-2010, 09:54 PM
With further discussion I believe he is using component with the PS3 and HDMI with the cable box. I told them they need to switch that around until getting another HDMI. At this point everything is going to TV, no receiver.

Tom1967, if the cable box is set to "auto" and all they get is 720p at best, you think it's just a bad cable service?

The cable box should be set to 1080i.
If its a Motorola box, the box needs to be turned OFF, then hit the menu button.
A set-up menu will appear, with a choice of aspect, resolution, etc.
The newer boxes have a format button on the front panel.
My new box keeps going back to 720p whenever I power up my system.
In its handshake with something in my system , something is changing it back to 720p.
I'm hooking it straight to my TV tommorrow, bypassing my receiver, seeing if that will help. GETTING TIRED OF RESETTING THE REZ EVERYTIME i do a crank-up.:1:

Mr Peabody
06-07-2010, 03:41 PM
I'll mention that Pix and have them check it out.