What Speakers should i buy for this amp? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What Speakers should i buy for this amp?

SHIFTY23
05-31-2010, 01:47 PM
Hey all

Ive just bought an Yamaha RX-V3900 for a really good price but no dont know what speakers i should put with it?

i have got a budget of about AUS$2000, ive looked around just dont know what i am looking at though.

Help and suggestions would be greatly appreicated

SHIFTY23
05-31-2010, 01:56 PM
Ive just bought a Yamaha Rx-V3900 for a really good price and was wondering what speakers i should have.
I ahve looked around at shops but i dont know what speakers are better quality then others.
i have a budget of around AUS$2000
any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Mr Peabody
05-31-2010, 06:27 PM
What speakers have you listened to or have access to? You have an HT receiver so i wouldn't go overboard with your speaker purchase unless maybe you are planning to add an external power amp at some point.

B&W and Paradigm would offer some quality options. Possibly Monitor Audio but I'm not sure on what price they start in.

blackraven
05-31-2010, 06:35 PM
Ok, what music do you like to listen to? Are you looking for 2ch, 5.1, 7.1? Do you like a warmer sound, neutral or brighter sound with crisp treble? Do you want window rattling bass?
B&W 683's, Monitor Audio RS or RX 6, Paradigm Studio series, PSB Imagine line, Canton, Revels.

SHIFTY23
05-31-2010, 07:00 PM
Ive just heard some Wharfedale, Infinity so far.
What mean HT reciever??
How come cant get top speakers??

sorry all questions just so much have learn about it all

Mr Peabody
05-31-2010, 07:16 PM
"HT" short for home theater. The 3900 is a top of the line receiver but still a company can only put so much in one box. You can buy as expensive as you wish as long as the receiver can drive them it's just the receiver's quality has it's limits. This is all receivers in general, not picking on yours. Here's a review I found: http://www.hometheatermag.com/receivers/yamaha_rx-v3900_av_receiver/

Wharfdale is pretty good for the money. I'm not a big fan of current Infinity. If in your area give a listen to the B&W or Paradigm. If you want a sound more like a theater you could give Klipsch a listen. I heard Klipsch's Reference 63's with an Integra receiver and they sounded pretty good.

SHIFTY23
05-31-2010, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the link, with the amp i did bit of research into it, had plenty of inputs and good amount of power for speakers not to peak.

The Paradigm speakers i like the look of bit pricey but will look into them. Also have looked at Jamo but never heard them what are your thoughts on them??

Wharfedale seem like good speakers for price looked at Archomatic series and also the Atlantics?

SHIFTY23
05-31-2010, 07:59 PM
well music listen to is anything and everything honestly plus also will mainly be used for watching movies, etc.

well start off with5.1 and can expand later.

Mr Peabody
05-31-2010, 08:08 PM
Jamo makes some good speakers in my opinion but I'm not familiar enough to recommend a certain model. Same with Wharfdale.

Paradigm has some home theater sets as well as some entry level speakers.

SHIFTY23
05-31-2010, 08:11 PM
ok well ill look into Jamo then.

Also then since seem know your thing or two bout paradigm what models would you recommend to look at in a 5.1 system?

blackraven
06-01-2010, 09:29 AM
The Wharfedale speakers would mate well with the brighter sounding Yamaha. The W's tend to lean on the warmer side of neutral.

SHIFTY23
06-01-2010, 02:53 PM
what Wharfedales would you recommend ive looked at archomatics are they any good or the Atlantic series?
What you mean by warmer?

SHIFTY23
06-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Ive went out looking and have got some deals from places but not to sure if like my inexperenced ears knew if good or not.

I was looking at my front to be an aaron ATS-5
A Definitive Technologies SuperCube 3

not sure on rears or centre?

any suggesions or advise on speakers looking at getting??

Mr Peabody
06-03-2010, 07:19 PM
I haven't heard of Aaron. The Def Tech is a good option. I think they get a bad rap for being sold in big box stores but models I've heard haven't been bad at all. I personally would recommend getting all the same brand and series speakers. At least in the three front. Def Tech makes a good variety with matching centers and surrounds, may be worth seeing what a good sounding package would cost.

manlystanley
06-08-2010, 05:32 AM
ok well ill look into Jamo then.

Also then since seem know your thing or two bout paradigm what models would you recommend to look at in a 5.1 system?

I've heard really good things about the Jamo C607's. You can get them for $345 each:

http://www.photovideosuperstore.com/product.asp?id=25156

Best Regards,
Stan

SHIFTY23
06-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys just finding hard find places which sell the high end speakers.

Most places around me do budget speakers or not the speakers interested in.

Before purchase wanna hear the speakers make sure what want.

place going too test these speakers only has these brands?
http://www.eastwoodhifi.com.au/Brands.htm

markw
06-08-2010, 04:29 PM
not sure on rears or centre?Whatever speakers you wnd up with, make sure you get the matching centre.

It's nice if the rears match as well, particularly for MC music, but it's not mandatory if all you want is home theatre use.

manlystanley
06-09-2010, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys just finding hard find places which sell the high end speakers.

Most places around me do budget speakers or not the speakers interested in.

Before purchase wanna hear the speakers make sure what want.

place going too test these speakers only has these brands?
http://www.eastwoodhifi.com.au/Brands.htm

What ever you get, I really suggest that you get a home trial. Even bringing in you own equipment to the store is not as good as hearing what they will sound like in your own room.

Best Regards,
Stan

SHIFTY23
06-17-2010, 07:31 PM
Hey guys

im bout to purchase next week but hard tossing up between to sets of speakers

Wharfedale Archromatic 5.1 vs. Jamo A407HCS5

Any advise on these products

Also what sorta guage cable would you recommend??

Mr Peabody
06-18-2010, 04:18 PM
My friend bought a 5.0 Jamo system for his Yamaha and likes it but I haven't been over to hear them yet. Both are respectible brands. If you have to buy without listening, check user reviews, I personally would prefer the set with larger woofers although no guarantee of better sound, I'd also lean toward more efficiency. I'm too lazy to read the entire thread again but if you post links to the speakers I'll take a look to see if there's anything between the two that might make any difference. Or, model numbers and I will check.

SHIFTY23
06-21-2010, 02:37 PM
Peabody thanks for help with this im really not the best when comes all this stuff haha but all apart of learning.

Wharfedale Archomatic http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/Products/ProductSeries/tabid/77/PID/20/language/en-GB/Default.aspx

Jamo A407HCS5 http://www.jamo.com/eu-en/products/a-407-hcs-5-description/

Also what sorta cable should i be looking at?

D. Paul Navigator
06-22-2010, 06:17 PM
Jamo: Best overall (price/performance) C607, wonderful speakers.

Swans: Diva 5.2 or if you can afford them the ultimate Diva 6.2 with 8" woofers.

You need a quality amp for these kinds of speakers, so if don't have one or can't afford one, these would not be a good choice. The big Yamaha 3900 would be a good amp, but some other folks haven't said what they have.

manlystanley
06-24-2010, 07:01 AM

Swans: Diva 5.2 or if you can afford them the ultimate Diva 6.2 with 8" woofers.

You need a quality amp for these kinds of speakers, so if don't have one or can't afford one, these would not be a good choice. The big Yamaha 3900 would be a good amp, but some other folks haven't said what they have.

I agree with everything above...... You can get the C607's on close out (with free shipping) for a bit over $500!!

https://www.electrocloseout.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=JMC607BK

Worf101
06-24-2010, 10:27 AM

I concur as well. In my over 10 years here I've watched, spec'd out and heard both brands... you could do a lot worse. If starting over I'd buy either especially the Swans.

Worf

SHIFTY23
06-27-2010, 05:19 PM
i woud like to buy them but the links sent show the Jamo C607's arent near me as in Australia.
Also with Swans have not seen them over here either in the search

Bluey
07-13-2010, 12:15 AM
I figure your in Oz, so if you can get to somplace like "Eastwoods" they would be too happy to show you whats available to suit both the wallet and taste, there are plenty of good dealers in "the best place in the world".
Harvey Wallbangers tend to sell cheapies as does JB; but it all depends on what you really want, a stereo or home theatre system.
I have both;
For my HT I chose Energy 7.1 which is run easily by my Onkyo TX-SR 705.
For my 2 channel I chose JMlab Focals paired with CA 650A/650C ... not everyones choice but I liked them so they are now mine.
Try before you buy Cobber.

SHIFTY23
07-20-2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks Bluey and yes it is hard to find hifi places on this great land

Mr Peabody
07-20-2010, 06:20 PM
Any retailer carry Martin Logan? I just heard the Motion 12 from the Motion series and was really impressed, there's several models in this series so you can put together a 5 channel set up if desired.