Denon AVR-1803. Should I jump on it? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Denon AVR-1803. Should I jump on it?

audio amateur
05-30-2010, 09:58 AM
I'm currently running a Technics SA-DX750 from '01 which has served me well but I've been dying for some kind of an upgrade. For example, it doesn't even accomodate bananas, and the subwoofer crossover management is virtually non existant.

There's currently a Denon AVR-1803 (I'm guessing from '03) at a local second hand electronics store at what seems to be a very reasonable price. They have it on hold for me until tomorrow. Is there anything in particular that should be holding me back? The AR.com user reviews seem quite positive.
Thanks!

02audionoob
05-30-2010, 10:23 AM
What kind of price?

audio amateur
05-30-2010, 10:30 AM
What kind of price?
I guess the American equivalent would be 100$. Do bare in mind though that gear here is generally a little more expensive than it is in the US, and harder to find at a good price (whether second hand or new). I guess I'm really trying to find out if there's an aspect of the amp that should make me write it off.

02audionoob
05-30-2010, 10:36 AM
I can't imagine what aspect of the Denon could be a deal breaker...especially without know what your needs are. I don't like the Denon remote controllers very well and I think it doesn't have PRE OUT connections, but like I said...I can't imagine what deal breakers there might be. The price seems very good.

dakatabg
05-30-2010, 11:08 AM
It looks nice and I saw some on ebay going for $150 + , plus the shipping cost so I guess it is a good deal!

blackraven
05-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Go for the Denon! I bet it is a beefier AVR. Technics made good equipment in the 1970's and early 80's but then went down hill with the rest of the main stream companies. I've always liked Denon gear except for their pos instruction manuals.

audio amateur
05-31-2010, 06:22 AM
Thanks guys. Somehow I thought US price would actually be cheaper but then I may just be getting a great deal. I'll be paying the equivalent of 108$ including tax! I'm picking it up tomorrow:) I hope there are no bad surprises.

Next step, video projector...

audio amateur
05-31-2010, 09:34 AM
Go for the Denon! I bet it is a beefier AVR.
No doubt. The fact that it's as deep as it wide is telling. It looks well made too

audio amateur
06-01-2010, 09:04 AM
I picked it up today. It's in great condition, really a bargain IMO. I can't wait to have it setup once I'm back home after the school term is over:)

pixelthis
06-01-2010, 11:28 AM
I picked it up today. It's in great condition, really a bargain IMO. I can't wait to have it setup once I'm back home after the school term is over:)

Theres good in everything, and the good in having a P.O.S like a Technics receiver
is that almost anything looks good by comparison.
Congrats on your new toy, Denon makes a pretty good receiver.:1:

audio amateur
06-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Theres good in everything, and the good in having a P.O.S like a Technics receiver
is that almost anything looks good by comparison.
lol, sure thing!