Blackhawks in 5? Kiss my arse. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawks in 5? Kiss my arse.

Swish
05-29-2010, 06:56 PM
Fatso was pretty much a non-factor tonight, save a few hits that didn't do squat, and Auntie M wasn't all that sharp either. A Flyers win would have been nice, but the pundits who think they will be done in 5 can kiss my fat a**.

Yes, I'm basically drunk and ticked off. Whatever.

Luvin Da Blues
05-30-2010, 03:18 AM
Looked to me that neither team deserved to win that poor sloppy excuse for a playoff game last night. Let's hope both teams tie their skates a little tighter next game.

(Hawks in 6)

Swish
05-30-2010, 05:26 AM
Looked to me that neither team deserved to win that poor sloppy excuse for a playoff game last night. Let's hope both teams tie their skates a little tighter next game.

(Hawks in 6)

...that you can't blame the goalies for some of those scores. I do believe the Flyers out-played and out hustled the Blackhawks, but that's the only thing that mattered in the end was the score.

kexodusc
05-30-2010, 12:45 PM
The last 25 minutes, and especially the 3rd period were pretty 1 sided and more along what I think most pundits expected. It was a sloppy game by both teams, not all that uncommon considering both haven't played in about a week, aren't familiar with each other, and both teams have a lot of young star players likely a bit over excited for the Finals. Game 2 should be better. Doubt Leighton or Niemi let in 5 per game again the rest of the way...though with Leighton letting in something like 8 goals through his 5-hole the last few games you gotta wonder if the scouting report is out on him and Boucher (who was surprisingly solid) doesn't get the nod? Niemi has bounced back with strong showings from bad games in all 3 rounds so far, to his credit, but I can't help but think he just ain't that good.
Hawks got a lucky break on the winner. Wow, where were the refs on that one? Not that I think it would have mattered the way the 3rd went but you can bet the refs will have instructions to equalize that mistake in game 2. I'll be at game 2. If anyone's there, I'm the good looking guy in the Toews jersey.

Swish
05-31-2010, 05:13 PM
Hawks got a lucky break on the winner. Wow, where were the refs on that one? Not that I think it would have mattered the way the 3rd went but you can bet the refs will have instructions to equalize that mistake in game 2. I'll be at game 2. If anyone's there, I'm the good looking guy in the Toews jersey.

..the replay or notice anything that would have constituted a penalty. Please let me know.

It does appear the Hawks are getting favored status tonight. That call on Carcillo was really weak, ditto the one on Richards, but luckily it didn't make a difference as they killed off the penalty.

0-0 at the end of the first is more like it. I know some would like to see 10 or 11 goals again, but not me, unless they're all by the Flyers.

kexodusc
05-31-2010, 06:35 PM
..the replay or notice anything that would have constituted a penalty. Please let me know.

It does appear the Hawks are getting favored status tonight. That call on Carcillo was really weak, ditto the one on Richards, but luckily it didn't make a difference as they killed off the penalty.

0-0 at the end of the first is more like it. I know some would like to see 10 or 11 goals again, but not me, unless they're all by the Flyers.
The play on the game winning goal - the puck hit the Hawk player on the bench, should have been blown dead...30 seconds later it was in the back of the net, same player came on and got the puck back and scored. All washes out considering they didn't give Chicago a single call in game 1 and probably should have called 4 or 5, but looks bad on the game when officiating is making such a difference.

As for the calls. The Carcillo call was typical of the crap they were calling in game 1. Seems like 1 ref wants to let them play, the other wants to call all the obstruction crap by the book. Case in point, Briere holds the stick for a good 20 seconds, likely trying to draw a slash or hook call, and no call, but it eliminates the player from play. I prefer the lack of obstruction and cheap stuff - that just gives weaker teams an equalizer...but not if it's on every 3rd call. The NHL is the only sport where a penalty in game 1 of the regular season won't be called in the playoffs...they need to implement coach's challenges or something to keep these guys accountable.

Man the Flyers are outplaying the Hawks as bad in 3rd as they were outplayed in the 1st.

Leighton can't be serving up rebound pie like this much longer...

Also noticing that Pronger is sure rubbing off on Coburn. He won't be a Pronger but he'll be a solid player for a long time.

kexodusc
05-31-2010, 06:42 PM
And no...I'm not at game 2 :mad:

Mr MidFi
06-01-2010, 05:50 AM
All washes out considering they didn't give Chicago a single call in game 1 and probably should have called 4 or 5, but looks bad on the game when officiating is making such a difference.

Yes. And yes.

Game 3 is going to be interesting.

LET'S GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!

kexodusc
06-01-2010, 06:41 AM
There is a glaring, obvious weakness in the Hawks' game - they cannot play to protect a lead. They should have kept the pace instead they held back. Once they got up by 2 late in the 2nd, they shifted to defend mode and were outplayed the rest of the way by a good margin. It's different - one team stops taking chances, stops the 2 man forecheck, and sits back - the other team has to take more high risk, high offence chances and go for it - this allowed the Flyers to engage the D more and pinch, and really pin the Hawks in their end. Back and forth for sure.

If the Flyers could hold a lead, or go up 2 goals, I think they would shut the Hawks down the rest of the way - they might not have the speed or physicality of Chicago up front, but they're better defensively in the scrambles. That 1st goal in game 3 is going to be huge..

If not for the MVP candidate Niemi's play in net, they would have blown it - and give him props. The 5th time in these playoffs this kid has bounced back from a rough game with a stellar performance to bail out his team - that's mental toughness that only 3-4 other goalies in the league have. Maybe he is that good?

And Leighton - good on him for keeping it together after that questionable 2nd goal - that's fortitude. That guy is a gamer...what he lacks in NHL skill he makes up for in grit. I like him. I still don't think the Flyers take it to 6 games - but no shame here, they're where the Hawks were not too

My trip to Chicago is on hold until this weekend, so it's game 5 or bust for me...

ForeverAutumn
06-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Who is the old lady on the screen, singing God Bless America?

And why no Star Spangled Banner?

Inquiring minds and all that crap...

MindGoneHaywire
06-02-2010, 04:30 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Smith#Significance_in_professional_sports

ForeverAutumn
06-02-2010, 05:12 PM
That's very cool. Finally a hockey superstition that I can appreciate. Thanks Jay. :)

Mr MidFi
06-03-2010, 05:26 AM
Hawks looked tired in the 3rd period and OT. Actually, both teams were... but the Flyers played like they wanted it more. Much more urgency, especially on offense.

Hawks will take Game 4. You heard it here first.

Swish
06-03-2010, 06:01 AM
Hawks looked tired in the 3rd period and OT. Actually, both teams were... but the Flyers played like they wanted it more. Much more urgency, especially on offense.

...and especially in the 3rd period. They were very fortunate to be up 2-0 when they reached Philly. To predict the Hawks will win Friday is a 50-50 deal, and I happen to think you're wrong. The Flyers have home ice and the momentum.

ForeverAutumn
06-03-2010, 06:28 AM
Ooooh. A little RR hockey showdown.

Personally, I hope Philly wins to tie up the series, just so that I can watch you two go at it. :D

Plus, I just love a seven game series...so exciting! (especially when I have nothing at stake).

As for last night, I really only watched the third period and OT (decided I should finally do my taxes instead). I thought that Philly's offense looked very good. Much stronger than Chicago. And if not for Niemi's skill, I'm pretty confident that Philly would have taken it in the third. I have to side with Swish on this one. Home ice, coming off a win. My money's on Philly next game.

I did happen to notice that it looked like Niemi picked up the puck on his way out of the net. :lol:

kexodusc
06-03-2010, 07:12 AM
Hey Swish is back - he was MIA after the game 2 loss...I feared the worst. :)

Philly played desperate and up to their potential last night. Chicago did not, and they deserved to lose. Being better on paper and showing up are 2 different things. We've seen Philly's A game so far....we still haven't seen Chicago's. And part of the reason for that is because Philly plays a tough, grinding style they haven't seen much of this year. Maybe the pressure's getting to the Hawks' stars.

If this goes 7 games, I figure the Flyers will win - they're made to grind it out - and high flying teams like the Hawks usually have trouble sustaining that style for long periods of time. But realistically, the series has been close and you see Chicago winning 1 of the next 2 games so they'll have a chance to avoid game 7.

The cliche holds true, you are never in trouble in a series until you lose a game on home ice. Both these goalies continue to impresse me. This is a better finals already than the last 2 IMO. Nice to see a changing of the guard, so to speak. Both of these teams are only going to get better over the next few years.

Hyfi
06-03-2010, 08:20 AM
Philly is the better team overall but....

The Hawks do a few things really good:

1- They continue to just skate up behind an opposing player and take the puck away before being detected

2- When they fore check, they don't just pester and skate away like the Flyers have been doing, they stick to it like glue

3- They have mastered the long outlet pass to a seemingly always open man

4- when pounding it out in the offensive corners, the Fyers man at the point seems to always be too close to the boards and the puck continues to squirt out just on the center ice side of him where the Hawks are either positioned a bit better to get the puck at the boards or towards mid ice and or they have 2 players ready in that area

Overall no matter how sloppy both defenses are, they have been fun and exciting games to watch. I'm loving the fact that Buughfexpialidocious has gotten nothing but penalty minutes. Pronger appears to be getting away with murder cross checking him at the crease.

Go Flyers!!!!

Rich-n-Texas
06-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Wednesday night's OT goal was... HUGE!
It really was.. :yesnod:

That goal could be the momentum swing they need, and I'm looking forward to watching tonite's game. :3:

Edit: YEAH!!! SCORE!!! 2 zip

Rich-n-Texas
06-04-2010, 07:06 PM
"And now its a best of 3"

Fvckin' A!

Swish
06-04-2010, 07:11 PM

...you were wrong dude! Now about that bet we made on this game....

Swish
06-04-2010, 07:12 PM
"And now its a best of 3"

Fvckin' A!

Why did there have to be a sweat? 4-1 lead then the 5 on 3 goal and the garbage goal to get within one. Yeah, the Flyers got a garbage goal too, but that was just nasty at that point of the game. Well, we just need to win one in Chicago, then look out.

kexodusc
06-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Home ice has proven to be the difference, and the give the Flyers a lot of credit, they are finding ways to win games and neutralize the Hawks. Advantage Philly...not because they only have to win 1 in Chi-town, but because they're inside the Hawks' heads now...this wasn't supposed to happen this way.

Who says the East Conference is the weak sister of the NHL?

Swish
06-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Home ice has proven to be the difference, and the give the Flyers a lot of credit, they are finding ways to win games and neutralize the Hawks. Advantage Philly...not because they only have to win 1 in Chi-town, but because they're inside the Hawks' heads now...this wasn't supposed to happen this way.

Who says the East Conference is the weak sister of the NHL?
...so I'm not sure about the 'weak sister' reference either. In fact, the East has one 5 or 8 since the 1999-2000 season (one year was canceled due to the lockout) while the West has won just 3. They had a streak of 4 prior to that, but the East has won many more in the last 50 years, something like 35 to 14.

Can the Flyers win one on the road? Can either team? I don't know. We shall see.

Swish
06-06-2010, 06:47 PM
...with murder. Flyers should have at least 5 PPs, at last count. I'm fu<a>cking sick of watching this game. Flyers will win games 6 and 7. Book it Dano.

Mr MidFi
06-07-2010, 05:33 AM
...with murder. Flyers should have at least 5 PPs, at last count. I'm fu<a>cking sick of watching this game. Flyers will win games 6 and 7. Book in Dano.

I don't think that even the staunchest Flyers fanatic would seriously argue that the officiating has favored the Hawks in this series overall, or that officiating was the difference in last night's game.

The better, faster, more aggressive and more athletic team won last night. They controlled the puck, they controlled the pace, and they dealt some powerful hits. And Pronger never showed up. End of story.

Bring on game 6!!!

Swish
06-07-2010, 05:53 AM
I don't think that even the staunchest Flyers fanatic would seriously argue that the officiating has favored the Hawks in this series overall, or that officiating was the difference in last night's game.

The better, faster, more aggressive and more athletic team won last night. They controlled the puck, they controlled the pace, and they dealt some powerful hits. And Pronger never showed up. End of story.

Bring on game 6!!!

It was a horrible game for the Flyers.

Rich-n-Texas
06-07-2010, 12:19 PM
My choice of beer last night did nothing to ease the pain. :(

Swish
06-07-2010, 12:26 PM
My choice of beer last night did nothing to ease the pain. :(

It's an awesome double IPA with an ABV of 9.6%, so a few of those and you're feeling no pain. It some expensive sh<a>it at about $60 a case, but it's worth it to me. Most pubs charge about $5 for a decent pint, sometimes more, so paying less than $3 per bottle is no big deal.

Rich-n-Texas
06-09-2010, 03:49 PM
For whatever reason, beer variety doesn't exist down here the way it does up North.

I am very nervous about tonites game. The home team trend needs to continue one last time, and only one last time. :skep:

Rich-n-Texas
06-09-2010, 05:49 PM
I am reeeeally uncomfortable with the direction this thread...err... game is going. :nonod:

MindGoneHaywire
06-09-2010, 07:09 PM
This Rangers fan is glad to see this. Sorry, Swish.

Swish
06-09-2010, 07:15 PM

I will seek you out and kick the sh<a>it out of you. Sorry J.

C-Z
06-09-2010, 10:05 PM
I was six when the Hawks last won, with Bobby Hull etc. Back then the hardest sports ticket to score in town was by far the Blackhawks. Great to see them win - fun team to watch. Flyers were impressive in the playoffs, no doubt, but I think the better team won here (really outshot them in this final game also), but not all that much better - close, fun series. Some pretty lame Flyers fans at the end, though - booing the Hawks, and MVP Toews, not putting that much gusto in cheering their own team when Bettman (sp?) tried to get some applause for them in the post game ceremony - a (hopefully) small group of fans further building up the poor reputation that Philly sports fans have. I do like the Flyers team, and hope they parlay this into success next season, unless they play the Hawks again, that is!

bobsticks
06-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Howya feelin' these fine days G-Swishy?

kexodusc
06-10-2010, 03:34 AM
No shame in Philly losing - they overachieved all the way and won a lot of respect. If they could ever find the elusive NHL starting goalie they would be a heavyweight contender.

Weird series. Philly had some good and bad games, but Chicago never really seemed to bring their A game the whole way and still won. Rare that that happens.

Danny Briere might be the undeniable, undisputed biggest diver in the history of the game of hockey, but he was pretty clutch in the playoffs this year and has paid back a few years of his brutal contract. Not many guys up their game and numbers in the playoffs. Briere always seems to.

Did I hear Toews played with a fractured foot?

CFP...might have cost them the last two games.

Rich-n-Texas
06-10-2010, 03:41 AM
How are you feeling sticky B? This is your first post in a month, and you didn't respond to my PM back to yours... a month ago. :confused:

:ihih:

Hyfi
06-10-2010, 04:08 AM
What they need is instant replay on some of the lousy officiating that went on in this final series. You never knew what they would call from game to game. Both sides got hit with bogus calls last night for sure. The GT Interference call on Chicago was a joke as the guy did everything humanly possible to fall backwards and he barely touched Leighton.

But, I'm from Philly and a Flyers fan! It was great to see them get to where they were and not just choke in the first or second round.

These were some of the 6 most exciting edge of the seat games I have seen for a while and the Flyers looked like they belonged there unlike the last trip getting swept by Detroit.

The Flyers have nothing to be ashamed of coming in second place and taking it to overtime in game 6.

Auntie-M should have got the trophy! He also should get Rookie of the Year. The guy is like a spastic hawk. He is able to see through bodies and although he flounders a bit, he does not have the dreaded 5 hole Leighton has.

Congrats to Chicago, they were the luckier team last night because you all know that the Flyers can come back from almost anything this year.

Swish
06-10-2010, 04:56 AM

Like sh<a>it. Thanks for asking.

Swish
06-10-2010, 05:04 AM
Some pretty lame Flyers fans at the end, though - booing the Hawks, and MVP Toews, not putting that much gusto in cheering their own team when Bettman (sp?) tried to get some applause for them in the post game ceremony - a (hopefully) small group of fans further building up the poor reputation that Philly sports fans have.

When Laperiere got hit in the head and was gushing blood during the NJ series, some of their fans were cheering. Nice. I've been to Shea numerous times when I lived in NJ, and saw some of the worst behaved fans I've ever seen. Fights would break out every 5 minutes or so. I've been to Flyers and Eagles games, and there are always a few idiots, but Philly fans are no worse than most other major metro city fans. Heck, the Chicago fans are guilty of cheering through our National Anthem, which is nearly treason.

Yes, the Flyers played better in the playoffs than in the regular season but the magic wore off toward the end. Carter had an easy shot to win it and took the collar, and he was pretty much worthless in the playoffs. He is their leading scorer, but he also takes way too many shots (led the league I believe) when he could carry it in deep and set up a play instead of firing a perimeter shot that any goalie can stop without any trouble.

Swish
06-10-2010, 05:05 AM

Oh, because they knocked the Rangers out in the last game of the season. I have a friend who's a big Rangers fan and he thinks of the Flyers as the enemy. Oh well.

ForeverAutumn
06-10-2010, 05:10 AM

I'm sure it's nothing that a few days of R&R won't cure.

Sorry about the Flyers Swishdaddy. I was pulling for you. Although Hubby was rooting for the Hawks...I'll let you take that up with him on your own.

I'll say this...watching the Flyers come up through the ranks as underdogs sure was fun. I wouldn't really call myself a fan of either team (as long as the Habs didn't win, I was happy), but this was a fun series to watch. Watching the Flyers push game 6 into overtime was great! I love a good nailbiter and this years run for the cup (by all teams) was full of them.

Mr MidFi
06-10-2010, 05:41 AM
My observations:

1. First and foremost, HOW 'BOUT THEM HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. No one can say they didn't earn this cup. The first series, against Nashville, was twice as hard as anyone expected. The Canucks brought attitude, great goal-tending, and more than a little bad blood in the second round. The Sharks held home-ice advantage in the semis. But the Flyers flat-out brought it... night after night. They stretched themselves to get into the playoffs, they overachieved throughout the post-season, and their fans should be proud.

3. That final goal was one of the strangest moments I've ever seen in sports, and definitely a weird-ass way to end a season. Kane was the only person in the entire building who knew that was a goal, even 5 seconds afterward.

4. Some would question the Conn Smythe trophy going to Toews, since he had a less-than-stellar finals. But 29 post-season points is nothing to sneeze at. More to the point, he does all the little things that help teams win games. And the ONE big thing that wins championships... leadership. He's only 22, and (barring serious injury) his arrow is pointing upward for the next 5 years or more.

5. MVP for the series? Either Briere or Hartnell. No doubt about it. Hell, maybe even that Leino kid.

6. Antti Niemi came up big when he had to. That save with 1:30 left in the third was, arguably, the biggest play in the series.

7. Overall it was a really enjoyable series to watch, with tons of excitement in all 6 games. The first period last night was non-stop aggressive play, and I think it took a lot out of both teams toward the end of the second. The third period was ragged and sloppy, especially by the Hawks. But all's well that ends well !

8. Tickertape parade on Michigan Ave. tomorrow morning!!!

ForeverAutumn
06-10-2010, 06:15 AM
3. That final goal was one of the strangest moments I've ever seen in sports, and definitely a weird-ass way to end a season. Kane was the only person in the entire building who knew that was a goal, even 5 seconds afterward.

You can say that again! It looked like even the officials were discussing whether the puck had gone in or not. What a weird way to end the series.

MindGoneHaywire
06-10-2010, 06:18 AM
There's a little more to it, Swish. The Rangers didn't really deserve to make the playoffs, and I don't think I've ever seen a fourth line carry a team as much as theirs did down the stretch. Actually, it's more about that nobody expects to see a 7 seed vs. an 8 seed playing for the conference championship.

Everyone loves an underdog, and there's usually a good upset story every year. But in the end, if my team's not involved, I usually want to see the teams that seem to be the best competing. Obviously neither Pittsburgh nor the Capitals can be considered the best if they were eliminated, but who really didn't want to see those teams meet, especially after the Olympics?

I know the game isn't played on paper, but Chicago was a 2 seed, right? Vs. a 7 seed that needed a shootout to get past an overpaid group of malcontents who without their fourth line would've been booking April golf outings a month in advance?

I watched a Pitt at Wash Sun 12 noon game before the Olympics, when the blizzard had just hit. Ovechkin was the best player in the league; I'm shocked how quickly and by how much he seems to have eclipsed Crosby for that title. Means nothing now, of course, but I do like to see those guys go at it, particularly with something at stake. Ovechkin was never the same after the Canadians beat the crap out of the Russians in the Olympics, was he? Still, I looked forward to that matchup for months.

The Flyers run reminded me a bit of the Minnesota North Stars in 1991, only more improbable. Beating the Devils didn't surprise me, and I don't want to take anything away from them, but Montreal knocking out the Caps & Pens yet not being able to get past the Flyers is just one of those quirks of the playoffs. The Cup is still the best tournament in any pro sport, for me. And I'd still say that even if Montreal had continued its Cinderella march past Philadelphia only to fall to the Hawks, underdog romance be damned.

No, I don't like the Flyers, but it's nothing like how I feel about the Red Sox, and specifically rooting against any team, while occasionally fun, is sophomoric at best. The bottom line is, the better team won, and that was a rarity in the playoffs this year, more so than I think we'll ever see again.

bobsticks
06-10-2010, 08:28 AM

Well...good...

...but the Flyers shouldn't. In the interests of brevity I'll not recount all my reasoning save to say that I agree powerfully with the word "overachievers" and Kex's comment on goalies...since Hextall it's pretty much been a litany of AHL cast-offs and sub-stars. They can be proud of the run they put together.

I loved seeing the Hawks win. Not just because i love that city but it's clear that this version of Chicago's team is one made up of quality individuals on and off the ice.Good deal for the kids and a wily veteran or two...I loved watching JR get all emotional-lika at the end too...some allegiances never die.

bobsticks
06-10-2010, 08:39 AM
How are you feeling sticky B? This is your first post in a month, and you didn't respond to my PM back to yours... a month ago. :confused:

:ihih:

I was advised by legal counsel to stay away from these here internets for awhile. Evidently up here in the Land of Filth and Bunnies there's a limit to the amount of weapons a character can carry in the back of his truck without engaging the interests of the local gendarmerie. ..clearly not as "enlightened" as in your neck of the woods.

Ex Lion Tamer
06-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Carter... was pretty much worthless in the playoffs.

Hey Swish - congrats on a great run. How's Hershey doing? I'm actually just as pissed that the Hamilton Bulldogs (Habs farm team) got eliminated the night after the Flyers took out the Habs.

Just wanted to ask you, if you were the GM, do you try to trade Carter for maybe a legit #1goaltender? I'm thinking if the Flyers have Halak, they just might win that series - and he wouldn't be too expensive, given the Flyers cap issues.

Swish
06-12-2010, 08:21 AM
Hey Swish - congrats on a great run. How's Hershey doing? I'm actually just as pissed that the Hamilton Bulldogs (Habs farm team) got eliminated the night after the Flyers took out the Habs.

Just wanted to ask you, if you were the GM, do you try to trade Carter for maybe a legit #1goaltender? I'm thinking if the Flyers have Halak, they just might win that series - and he wouldn't be too expensive, given the Flyers cap issues.

After losing the first two at home, they won 3 in a row down in Austin (hockey in Austin? Really?), including last night's OT win. Now they have a chance to win their second consecutive Calder Cup at home. They set all sorts of AHL records this year; most points in a season, most home wins (34). most overall wins (57), and they rightfully deserve the cup.

I used to LOVE this team until their affiliation with the Flyers ended and they went to the Capitals. I still cheer them on but it's not quite the same.

As for next season, I'm not sure you get rid of Carter. He's like the Allen Iverson of the Flyers. A very good player who scores a lot, but could he be less selfish and help the team even more? He's big, a fast skater and decent puck-handler, along with being their top scorer. But, they do need a top quality goalie, and Emery ain't the guy. They are reportedly interested in Vokoun from Florida, and A guy on their AHL club (Backstrum or something like that).

They have so much young talent, but I would hate to see them get rid of Giroux or Reimsdyk, so maybe Carter is the guy? Retaining Coburn is also a top priority as he'll be a restricted free agent, as will Carcillo, but I have a feeling he will be history.

Swish
06-12-2010, 08:23 AM
Specifically rooting against any team, while occasionally fun, is sophomoric at best. .

I do that all the time, especially with the Cowboys, the Steelers, the Penguins and the Yankees. There are a few others, but those are my 'most hated' for sure. My favorite teams are the ones playing those four.

Swish
06-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Well...good...

...but the Flyers shouldn't. In the interests of brevity I'll not recount all my reasoning save to say that I agree powerfully with the word "overachievers" and Kex's comment on goalies...since Hextall it's pretty much been a litany of AHL cast-offs and sub-stars. They can be proud of the run they put together.

I loved seeing the Hawks win. Not just because i love that city but it's clear that this version of Chicago's team is one made up of quality individuals on and off the ice.Good deal for the kids and a wily veteran or two...I loved watching JR get all emotional-lika at the end too...some allegiances never die.

But they could find someone new this year as #1 and keep a couple of the current lineup as back-ups.

Having some bone issues dude? No, not that bone.

Ex Lion Tamer
06-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Well...good...

I can't say I agree with the Flyers as overachievers sentiment, despite their less-than elite goaltending. I think they have the best top-4 defencemen in the East - and by quite a fair distance. They also have as much depth at centre as any team in the East, with the exception of Pittsburgh, and the Flyers wingers put Pittsburgh's to shame. Probably more a case of under-achieving during the regular season than over-achieving in the playoffs.

Regarding the West being the stronger conference, of that I thnk there is little doubt. The Flyers regular season points total, and the Habs for than matter too puts them strongly 12th or so if they played in the West, and eliminated from playoff contention around about March 15th. I think the East's recent success in the finals is more a case of the Western rep being worn out from having a much tougher road to get there than their Easter counterpart. When it comes to a one-on -one match-up in hockey, its proven time and time again in the NHL, any team can win, but when you look at the depth of the two conferences there really is no comparison - 5 teams that made the playoffs last year in the West, didn't this year (St.Louis, Columbus, Minnesota, Dallas and Calgary).

As it stands now, I would put the Flyers as co-favorites to come out of the East again next year, especially if they can find the cap room to get a legitimate #1 goaltender in the off-season. If I was their GM I'd make a serious play for Halak. He's proven himself as a big game goalie, he's still relatively cheap, and I think Montreal's management team still leans towards Price because of his youth and size. Though it may come down to which one gets them a bigger return.